Help For Giving Up Soda!

Options
murphey21
murphey21 Posts: 126 Member
I am going to really try and give up soda all together. I only drink diet soda, but trying to get away from it all together. I have gone three days right now with no soda, but need some more ideas or substitutions for soda. I still drink one cup of coffee in the morning, but other than that water. Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer/sparkling water!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what your reason is for wanting to cut it out altogether?
  • numbersplusword
    numbersplusword Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Carbonated flavored water is perfect for transitioning off pop especially since you're still getting caffeine from coffee.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Flavored seltzer water?
    http://www.walmart.com/tp/flavored-seltzer-water
    * I tried bigelow green tea and have never looked back. Love it.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bigelow-Green-Tea-Tea-Bags-20ct/10293206
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I work on a college campus. Part of my job involves facilities oversight. One of the buildings is a dining hall. One of the soda machines stopped working. Everything seemed connected in the right way, so my guys cut into the wall to see what was going on behind the scenes. The pipe that fed the syrup had a hole worn through it by the syrup. We're talking a half-inch thick steel pipe. It smelled DISGUSTING! Looked worse. Haven't touched the stuff since.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing...trying to get away from artificial sweeteners. I like soda water occasionally and black iced tea unsweetened. I told myself I could have diet coke on the weekends, but so far haven't had it at all. (it's only been a week). :pensive:
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Kombucha!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i used to drink sooo much soda and actually cut it out completely for 2 years.. i didnt have to try i just didnt care for it (unless i was drinking jack and cokes) ive been drinking it more lately... i just had to learn to love and appriciate water. I cant really do the replacement thing it makes me want the original more... as others said flavored carbonated water might help!
  • MichaelRpal
    MichaelRpal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Black tea. It has flavor (which water should lack and sometimes you just want to taste something), is typically available on menus wherever you go, costs the same as soda (at restaurants, God knows why it costs more in convenience stores), and lacks calories (unsweetened variety).

If availability/convenience isn't an issue there are other options, of course.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Flavored seltzer/sparkling water!

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I got myself some naturally flavored seltzer water from Publix and it takes a bit to get used to it but I like the carbonation and the slight lime taste. It has no sugars at all. Just natural flavors, water and carbonation according to the ingredients. You could also get regular soda/seltzer water and add in limes or lemons. Of course drink more regular water but if you need a carbonated beverage try this and be open minded when you do: its a little rough compared to pop but you get used to it. I am liking it now and it doesnt give me a headache like the ones with artifical sweeteners in them do.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the carbonated water. Look for Canada Dry, La Croix, Schweppes, etc., flavored carbonated water. It's the only substitute that got me completely over diet soda. It has subtle flavor, it gives you the fizz fix, and it is just like drinking regular water as far as calories/sodium are concerned. Which is to say none of both.
  • tazzylouise
    tazzylouise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go for natural mineral water & add lemon or lime for some flavour! ☺
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great!! It's so bad for you and your body. So I'm so glad your making the choice! It really is easy. So what helped me was I watched a few documentaries on all the bad stuff in them. It wasn't very hard after that. Lol
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Great!! It's so bad for you and your body. So I'm so glad your making the choice! It really is easy. So what helped me was I watched a few documentaries on all the bad stuff in them. It wasn't very hard after that. Lol

Yeah.... No. Documentaries are biased propaganda. There is nothing wrong with diet soda.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Yeah.... No. Documentaries are biased propaganda. There is nothing wrong with diet soda.

^ That. I like La Croix, but I'm amused at the comments I get about it being better than diet soda. I also drink Coke Zero and Sprite Zero.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking pop on New year's. For me I was obsessed with pop and part of me still is but, I have only had pop on my Anniversary in March and went back to just water and sparkling water since. I am thinking for me going off pop except on special occasions is going to be best for me. I am picky about the sparkling water I drink most have too much carbonation and not even flavor and end up tasting like chemicals. The sparkling water I get is not clear but, I only drink one every few days. Mostly just drink straight water.
  • NewHealthyBug
    NewHealthyBug Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I stop drinking soda for 8 years now. And I am very happy I did that. Because I problem with ringing in ears. It helped it a lot! :):smiley::blush:
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like La Croix, but I'm amused at the comments I get about it being better than diet soda.

Amused by facts? Unlike diet soda, La Croix has no caffeine, no aspartame or other sweeteners, and no sodium. It's literally just like drinking normal water, it's just fizzy.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It takes 60 days to break or form a habit. Just do it. It is only soda.