Gluten free breakfast that doesn't involve eggs?

Options

Replies

• californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't do dairy either, so nothing cheesy or regular yogurt/cottage cheese. You guys are giving really great suggestions.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Try duck eggs. Many people who are allergic to chicken eggs can eat duck eggs. (Check with your doctor, of course )
  • iheartchocolate2016
    iheartchocolate2016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes golden flax meal is a great addition to pancakes, cereals, muffins.
    I also make muffin in a mug it takes 2-3 mins and use: gluten free flour about 1/2 cup, you can throw in sweeter (1-2T), 1t gluten free baking powder, 1 tsp melted butter ", fruit or nuts of your choice (eg apple and cinnamon, coconut and blueberries etc), I throw in an egg but you could use xanthum gum to hold it together, and some milk (any almond or normal types) to mix into a cake mixture consistency, kind of runny-ish tho. Place it all in a large mug and put in the microwave for anything from 1-4 mins depending on your microwave. We do about 2-3 mins for ours. That's it. Enjoy :)
  • michkins33
    michkins33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Smoothie made with coconut milk banana frozen cherries and sun warrior protein powder.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Congee, rice, preserved veggies, grilled fish, cured fish, cured meats, nuts...

To be honest when I travel in Asia or even Europe, my breakfasts never include eggs or breads (unless I am in Germany...got to have my pretzels and weisswurst)
  • californiansun
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am half German and I'm very used to eating eggs and bread in the morning, lol.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Good old fashioned quaker oats that you cook. Add almond milk, chia seeds, walnuts, fresh strawberries, blueberries and half a banana. Lots of calories but I usually run before breakfast and need them to re-fuel.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    They have GF oatmeal, and cream of rice (my favorite, hah). Fruit smoothies are good if it's hard for you to eat breakfast. Also, there are lots of GF cereals.
  • jimd1125
    jimd1125 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa for breakfast. Good protein source and can make it sweet or savory
  • CynderJenn
    CynderJenn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Meat. Chicken breasts and a sweet potato, leftover steak (my favorite) make a stir fry and eat that. I get creative because eggs get old and I have issues with wheat and rice.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I make an easy coconut flatbread recipe and bake a week's worth at a time and put in the freezer separating each one with wax paper. I can then pop one or two out and put in the toaster. I will also make sausage patties in bulk too so then I can make my version of a sausage biscuit. While my coconut flatbread recipe does have eggs, I am sure there are recipes with egg substitutions.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! They didn't have any gluten free options at my usual store, so I'm going to try another store and see! I didn't know Quaker Oats were gluten free, since it doesn't state so on the container. I have a Bunch of those!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Think outside the box...breakfast doesn't have to be stereotypical breakfast foods. One of my favorites is curried lentils. Green Chile stew is a popular stew where I live and it's excellent at breakfast, particularly in the winter. When I do oats, I usually don't do them in a "breakfasty" kind of way...I like mine with some peanut butter, a little soy sauce, and with some sauteed jalapenos, ginger, and green onion, dressed with some sriracha and garnished with cilantro...etc, etc, etc.
  • californiansun
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Think outside the box...breakfast doesn't have to be stereotypical breakfast foods. One of my favorites is curried lentils. Green Chile stew is a popular stew where I live and it's excellent at breakfast, particularly in the winter. When I do oats, I usually don't do them in a "breakfasty" kind of way...I like mine with some peanut butter, a little soy sauce, and with some sauteed jalapenos, ginger, and green onion, dressed with some sriracha and garnished with cilantro...etc, etc, etc.
    Thanks for the great ideas!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! They didn't have any gluten free options at my usual store, so I'm going to try another store and see! I didn't know Quaker Oats were gluten free, since it doesn't state so on the container. I have a Bunch of those!

If it doesn't specify it on the container, they are NOT gluten free. While pays themselves are gluten free, they are usually cross contaminated during processing. Quaker does have some gluten free products, but it will say it right on the box.
  • californiansun
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

If it doesn't specify it on the container, they are NOT gluten free. While pays themselves are gluten free, they are usually cross contaminated during processing. Quaker does have some gluten free products, but it will say it right on the box.

That's what I figured! :smile:
  • mem0403
    mem0403 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Gluten free steel cut oats make with 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup coconut milk. Add in anything you want berries are great. I do 1 cup of berries and throw in some unsweetened coconut. In the fridge overnight and eat cold in the AM. Throw in a piece of toast (I prefer Rudis gluten free) with s tablespoon of PB.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Batch make some banana muffins for the week and enjoy with some fresh strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and fresh juice or tea/ coffee... Muffin recipes are very forgiving so if you need to swap in or out ingredients due to allergies or preferences you should have something you can enjoy
  • krissiethebrilliant
    Options
    Trader joes soy chorizo is incredible.
  • californiansun
    Options
    I wish I could edit this, but I have gastritis now and can't eat anything with flavor. If this passes, I will keep these in mind!!:)