how do you change your food to low carb

I'm diabetic would like low carb diet

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    I am not sure what you are asking... Do you want to change your macros to lower the carbohydrate percentage?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    If you mean you want to edit your nutritional goals, click on My Home at the top, then click on Goals, then click Edit next to Daily Nutrition Goals or Micronutrients. If you mean you need to know what values to assign to these things, talk to your doctor or nutritionist.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Eat more meat, fish and eggs and focus the carbs you do eat on vegetables. Have you spoken to your doctor and has he/she recommended that you see a nutritionist about this?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Swap breads, pastas, rice, etc. with non starchy produce, more protein, and fats?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Have you been referred to a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) and/or a Registered Dietician? Both people are huge tools in first figuring out how you should structure your meals/snacks based on your blood sugar patterns and lifestyle.

In terms of going low-carb, meat and seafood, non-starchy vegetables, and healthy fats (olive oil, nuts and seeds, etc) will be your best friends. One of the things that I like doing is trying to create lower-carb alternatives to higher-carb foods. For instance, instead of eating regular white rice (rice is a trouble food for me), I grind cauliflower in a food processor to make a mock cauliflower rice. Instead of a hamburger bun, I might use large mushroom caps or sturdy lettuce. The big thing is finding out how certain foods affect your BG so that you can either incorporate them more into your daily diet (if you discover that a certain food keeps you in-range) or find alternatives (if you find out that a certain food will often send your BG sky-high).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2016
    This macros calculator makes setting up your macros easy. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ A ketogenic or very low carb diet is usually 5% or 10% carbs, no more than 50g. This is where many of us with diabetes or prediabetes start. You could go as high as 100 or 150g, but the benefit of improved insulin resistance may not be there at that ratio.

Protein is usually somewhere between 15 and 25% with some more active people going higher. Fat typically fills in the rest at 80-50%. 60-75% seems the most common for those treating diabetes with low carb diets.

For more advice on low carb, try the Low Carber Daily Forum. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Also try reading Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Great book with a really good low carb plan. http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Dr Jason Fung has plenty of videos on a low carb diet, and discusses intermittent fasting which is proving to be beneficial in reversing insulin resistance. This is a good one to start with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0
    He also has a new book out called The Obesity Code.

Otherwise, like some of the above posts said:
    • drop sugar and sugar added foods (meaning anthing that ends in "ose", high fructose corn syrup, honey, syrups, most sugar alcohols - ending in "tol" and foods ending in "dextrin"),
    • avoid grains (corn, rice, quinoa) and foods made from grains (with wheat flour, buckwheat flour, etc),
    • limit starchy root vegetables like potatoes and turnips,
    • limit high GI frits like grapes, mangos, banana and other tropical fruits

Some diabetics are able to reverse their diabetes without cutting carbs, especially if they lose weight and exercise daily. I do not know of any diabetic that went low carb that did not start to reverse their daibetes though, even without weight loss.

Eat plenty of meats, eggs, olives, nuts, avocados, full fat dairy (cheese, heavy cream, butter, coconut (oil, cream, flakes), and a variety of vegetables, and some berries.
  • scluci
    scluci Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks to all who replied It will be so helpful to me
  • djholstein
    djholstein Posts: 4 Member
    Clean out your pantry, and fill you freezer with colorful vegetables,boneless skinless chicken tenders or breasts, fish filets (tilapia and swai are relatively low calorie, and inexpensive), get some eggs and stock up on spices. Blood sugar should drop, and your weight as well.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    How many grams of carbs per day are you planning to eat? There's a big difference between moderately low carb at less than 150 grams a day, low carb at less than 50 grams a day, and extremely low carb at less than 20 grams a day.