Body Image After Large Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    310 -> 150 (in a year, so lotsa skin etc)

You will love the new you so much that the little things will seem "MINUSCULE" in comparison.

Plus, you will be able to do, so much more!!

Never fret about losing weight, never get discouraged, and LOVE life!!!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Start a progressive weight lifting routine. :) It can change body shape. Also, you will feel great.
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @faidwen dang, you're a boss! That's amazing weight loss.
  • indiecupcake89
    indiecupcake89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a 20 something female who lost 182 lbs there are pros and cons to weight loss. Yes I lost all that weight and many things I can do now that I couldn't do before. However, my mental health and body image is very poor. The tire of skin I carry around where my stomach should be will not go away no matter how much strength training I do. Surgery is not an option right now either. I also gained back some weight due to depression and lack of motivation. Weight loss is not a magic pill to happiness like I thought. The struggle is real. For me mind and body have to be healthy.
  • suzan159
    suzan159 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, I'd rather have some loose skin afterwards than to still have my body fat filling it that skin. I used to be 300 lbs, and lost 100 pounds in 1 year (now 7 years ago) and have no problems with bad loose skin.

Im still overweight, so Im sure Ill have some once I hit goal (35-40 more pounds). At least that can be covered with clothing... but I couldnt conceal being 300 lbs. Not sure if that makes sense to others, but Id much rather risk having a bad body image at a healthy weight, and feel really good physically, than to still have a bad body image while being unhealthy and overweight/obese too.

Congrats on your 68 lb loss! You're doing great!

Well said. It is, like the next person said, always a tradeoff anyway but you make good points about a) how you can hide loose skin but not the weight, and b) it is still better to be healthy and feel good physically (if you will have a bad body image either way).
  • SmilesSells
    SmilesSells Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am going to celebrate the 16th anniversary of my 29th birthday in just a few days (turning 45), I've been pregnant 6 times and had big babies. I lost over 60 lbs and was amazed at how little loose skin there was...hardly noticeable. I went from a size 14/16 to a size 4. I did gain some of the weight back when I tried to work things out with my husband then got super depressed and didn't want to look pretty any more. I gained about 1/2 the weight back. Now I'm stronger and ready to get the rest of this off for good. I had a consult with a plastic surgeon and know the cost of some procedures but I don't think I will need them. I use T-Tapp for exercise and it was amazing how little sag I had. I don't sell it at all but am just in love with the program. I met a woman who had 10 children and went from a size 20 to size 6 or 8 and she had no sag at all! Now I didn't see her in a swimsuit but I saw her in exercise clothes and a sleeveless shirt. Nothing worked better for me than T-Tapp. And it's low impact so even with the health problems I have, I was able to do the exercises.

Congratulations on your journey so far!!! Don't let the fear stop or discourage you! :smile: