Ego Lifters

Options
jessef593
jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
The title explains itself, but the reason is recently I've noticed an increase in ego lifters in my gym. Not just lifting a bit too heavy with poor form, but doing isolation exercises with insane amounts of weight, putting their bodies in compromised positions.

For my age group being a natural lifter at 180lbs im one of the more muscular guys in my gym. By no way am I a mass monster, but you can tell I know what I'm doing. Just yesterday I was going about my triceps routine when I noticed a guy just starring at me. He's fairly new to the gym, so I thought whatever. But then he proceeded to start doing all the same exercises I was doing, grabbing weights 2-3x heavier than what I was doing.(trust me I'm no way should he have been lifting that much.) lifting with horrible form and completely oblivious to the whole point of the movements.

Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Because they are idiots.

That's all I've got. lol

Only time I did similar was a 1 RM contest at the gym. I went by an apps estimated 1RM and yeah it was funny at times.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :o
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    noticing other people at the gym?

Y so much cardio?
  • jessef593
    Options

Y so much cardio?

Have you never just stopped between sets and looked around? Basically at the point and you notice people doing ridiculous things that are bound to get them hurt. Just in the attempts to show off and look macho

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Y so much cardio?

Have you never just stopped between sets and looked around? Basically at the point and you notice people doing ridiculous things that are bound to get them hurt. Just in the attempts to show off and look macho
    kind of like this thread?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    For my age group being a natural lifter at 180lbs im one of the more muscular guys in my gym.

Go to a better gym.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gym. I see bad ego-lifting at university gyms or gyms that attract a lot of 18-24 year old men. I think generally there can be more of a competitive mindset at that age (compared to men that are older) than one that considers aesthetics. I have had a lot of guys in your age bracket do bad ego-lifting to outlift me (even if it isn't for the same movement), but when I go to my gym where the median age is probably 30, I don't see it. I think a lot also comes with building a mind-muscle connection, which takes some people a lot longer to do. It used to bug me, but it doesn't matter if someone picks up a heavier weight with bad form.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Some just don't know any better. I tend to not pay attention to others. What they are doing doesn't impact my workouts.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    *complains about people in the gym with big egos*

*then tells story about how some random dude was so obsessed with him that he followed him around and copied all of his exercises*

Best part was where OP said that no one that's natural should be using heavier weights than he uses. This is the best anti ego thread EVAH
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed anything anyone does at the gym, because I'm there for me. Everyone else is irrelevant.
  • jessef593
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

*then tells story about how some random dude was so obsessed with him that he followed him around and copied all of his exercises*

I didn't say that at all. I'm saying that tricep kick backs are a isolation exercise and that 55 pounds is 100% over kill especially for someone who is brand new to lifting. Poor wording on my part, but there are reasons people make videos talking about ego lifters and one uppers in the gym.

Best part was where OP said that no one that's natural should be using heavier weights than he uses. This is the best anti ego thread EVAH

The best part is where you picked apart my statement to read only what you wanted to read. I was simply asking if others have experienced people doing things that are bound to get them hurt.

• bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people do?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I didn't say that at all. I'm saying that tricep kick backs are a isolation exercise and that 55 pounds is 100% over kill especially for someone who is brand new to lifting. Poor wording on my part, but there are reasons people make videos talking about ego lifters and one uppers in the gym.

The best part is where you picked apart my statement to read only what you wanted to read. I was simply asking if others have experienced people doing things that are bound to get them hurt.

Anyone who's been at a commercial gym for more than 30 minutes has. Workout more.
  • jessef593
    Options

I don't know, I was honestly just curious. Then it became completely blown of out proportion. The reason I look at other peoples forms/movements is so that I can improve upon my own
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I don't know, I was honestly just curious. Then it became completely blown of out proportion. The reason I look at other peoples forms/movements is so that I can improve upon my own

I don't think I'd use others form as a judgement for mine. Especially since the exact movement pattern is going to vary from person to person based on bone structure, proportions, muscle origin and insertion points, and muscle balance variables.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I don't think I'd use others form as a judgement for mine. Especially since the exact movement pattern is going to vary from person to person based on bone structure, proportions, muscle origin and insertion points, and muscle balance variables.

Exactly. In addition, you really don't know what anyone else's goals are.

Finally, I think we're all guilty of ego lifting. I remember doing a deadlift rep contest that may have been ill advised but was fun as hell anyway. Always being pristine in form and goals seems a bit humourless.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time. I go to a 24 hour globo gym because there's no better option in my price/use range. I've been doing a lot of either heavy or explosive work lately which requires long rest periods so I tend to look around while I'm resting (people watching is fun). I see a mixture of people who are lifting way too heavy (mostly males), way too light (mostly females), doing all kinds of exercises in either an unsafe way or cheating reps (quarter squats anyone?) because the weight they're lifting is too heavy. Sometimes I have an inkling to point out the error of their ways but tend to bite my tongue as that kind of unsolicited advice from a stranger (especially a female I feel) never really goes down well.

I try not to worry too much about it and focus on doing my workouts safely and effectively. This may sound a bit harsh but survival of the fittest will likely weed them out eventually.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Because they are idiots.

That's all I've got. lol

Only time I did similar was a 1 RM contest at the gym. I went by an apps estimated 1RM and yeah it was funny at times.
    YEP!
    I was that idiot until my body started breaking.
    Today, I use much lighter weights but grunt real loud and slam them down when I complete a set. I am sure people think I'm impressive anyway. B)

Seriously, I don't really do that, but I did indeed lift weights that were way too heavy.
    I just got tired of injuring myself and failing to reach goals.

• mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

you lost me at tricep kick back.

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym for me. I don't really care who else is there or about their bad form.