Ego Lifters

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    "How much can 'ya tricep extend?"

So tired of hearing that question in the gym.

DYETKB, brah?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I prefer dips to work my triceps. Honestly, kickbacks are pretty worthless, but if you have time to waste...

Easy now, that's not necessarily true. I know MFP is the land of COMPOUNDS ONLY but isolation exercises have their place
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I spotted a guy who was "ego" benching next to me. He was pushing a mean 205 and going less than halfway I would say. Spotted him, told him "good job" and moved on.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    mike_bold wrote: »
    Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

you lost me at tricep kick back.

It's an isolation exercise for your triceps. Performed in a similar position to single hand bent over rows done on a flat bench. You let your hand hang, perpendicular to the floor, with your upper arm parallel to the floor. From there you simply extend your arm focussing on the contraction in your tricep.

I'm pretty sure @mike_bold knows what a tricep kickback is. Most likely wondering why a young male trying to gain size and strength is going low weight isolation exercises.

yes, this, thank you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Tried lifting my ego once. Wouldn't budge.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

My ego can pull a half ton. The body can't though.
  • Azdak
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

you lost me at tricep kick back.

It's an isolation exercise for your triceps. Performed in a similar position to single hand bent over rows done on a flat bench. You let your hand hang, perpendicular to the floor, with your upper arm parallel to the floor. From there you simply extend your arm focussing on the contraction in your tricep.

But that's not important now.

And don't call me Shirley.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Everybody has goals, different body imbalances, size, height, health issues, and experience in lifting.

Being humble is important to me in life, so I try to improve myself by not judging others.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    This thread is pure gold.
  • BarbellBabe87
    BarbellBabe87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Because... testosterone. Probably the same reason why guys up their weight when they see I lift as much as them :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I belonged to a commercial gym, I saw all kinds of people doing all kinds of whack stuff.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Everybody has goals, different body imbalances, size, height, health issues, and experience in lifting.

Being humble is important to me in life, so I try to improve myself by not judging others.

I used to always make fun of quarter squats until someone explained to me that they can have a purpose in training (not that everyone who does them is using them for that purpose). Once I realized how little I knew about lifting, I learned to keep my mental commentary in check.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The only appropriately certified MFP answers: (1) I go to the gym wearing earbuds and horse blinders so I see nothing and hear nothing because I'm so focused on my own training and entering my lifts, what other people, bro? or (2) you have shirtless pics so your ego must be hyooooge, and he was "copying" your form, huh? How ironic . . .

meh, it's a commercial gym, that's why there are countless YouTube videos of this kind of crap.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Head scratcher. Can't see what the problem is here.

I train at 430am. There is a guy who works out at the same time and day-in/day-out, and he does the same program over and over and over again. The same jaunt on the elliptical followed by lat pull-downs, done badly, and KB swings to more cardio. Every morning is the same thing. He's been doing this for years. I remember him from before I quit 7 years ago doing exactly the same thing.

7 years.

It would be easy to sit and criticize this guy for his apparent lack of programming, but how many people could do the same thing ad infinitum and continue to be that consistent with their gym time?

That guy is a hero in my book and should be praised.
    Options
    Can a bro have an ego big so big he can not lift it? If so he is neither a bro, nor his ego that big.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Because... testosterone. Probably the same reason why guys up their weight when they see I lift as much as them :D

Secretly looking over and counting plates before I load up the bar.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    OP

I have certainly experienced what you have mentioned... anyone that goes to a commercial gym probably has... People here are going to turn and twist your words and make this about your ego... that's just how some people amuse themselves.

There are people I think that are just ignorant of the correct way to lift, then there are others that only want the chick working out next to them to see the heavy weights that are on the bar. Some people (maybe I'd approach another female around my own age) I want to help out and other i feel they get whatever hurt they bring on themselves.

Like someone else said though survival of the fittest will weed them out, either you'll learn how to do the move correctly or you'll give up because you hurt too bad.
  • Azdak
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Can a bro have an ego big so big he can not lift it? If so he is neither a bro, nor his ego that big.

That may be the most profound thing ever written on the forums. I must go to the squat rack and contemplate.

Options

That may be the most profound thing ever written on the forums. I must go to the squat rack and comtemplate.
    :D I can't take the credit. Euthyphro gets that one.