Ego Lifters

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Tried lifting my ego once. Wouldn't budge.
    Can a bro have an ego big so big he can not lift it? If so he is neither a bro, nor his ego that big.

That may be the most profound thing ever written on the forums. I must go to the squat rack and comtemplate.
    :D I can't take the credit. Euthyphro gets that one.

Does he know what a triceps kickback is?
  • BarbellBabe87
    BarbellBabe87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Because... testosterone. Probably the same reason why guys up their weight when they see I lift as much as them :D

Secretly looking over and counting plates before I load up the bar.

:hands shor0814 a calculator:
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Because... testosterone. Probably the same reason why guys up their weight when they see I lift as much as them :D

Secretly looking over and counting plates before I load up the bar.

:hands shor0814 a calculator:

*presses = and quietly puts the bar back and slink away*

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Can a bro have an ego big so big he can not lift it? If so he is neither a bro, nor his ego that big.

That may be the most profound thing ever written on the forums. I must go to the squat rack and contemplate.

While curling too much weight.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

That may be the most profound thing ever written on the forums. I must go to the squat rack and comtemplate.
    :D I can't take the credit. Euthyphro gets that one.

Does he know what a triceps kickback is?

I don't see why not. They did have these after all.

Halteres_from_ancient_Greece.JPG

No word on squat racks.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I prefer dips to work my triceps. Honestly, kickbacks are pretty worthless, but if you have time to waste...

That's fine if you don't fancy them but they certainly seem like a beneficial exercise if executed properly. https://youtube.com/watch?v=rTsNG5c568k

Maybe OP does them to help with his golf swing. Maybe he just wants some horseshoe action this summer. Who knows. Everyone is trying to get in their zone at the gym. I think we should show solidarity or at least pretend they're invisible. OP got dragged for paying attention to something that does not concern him (doesn't make him a bad guy) but then people are having a go at his choice of exercise. Like gyms are handing out gold stars to people who exercise the best.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    mike_bold wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Example being I was doing medium rep tricep kick backs with 15s. So he decided to walk over and grab a 55lb dumbbell and then sits next to me trying to replicate the moment. All I could think of was the damage he was doing to his elbow. The pain on his face was extremely apparent. Yet he continued to slaughter the movement. So my question is, what is with people willing to hurt themselves purely to show superiority? By no way is that what we're in the gym to do, it's about better ourselves.

you lost me at tricep kick back.

It's an isolation exercise for your triceps. Performed in a similar position to single hand bent over rows done on a flat bench. You let your hand hang, perpendicular to the floor, with your upper arm parallel to the floor. From there you simply extend your arm focussing on the contraction in your tricep.

But that's not important now.

And don't call me Shirley.

Perfect
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I know how this feels, but on the other hand i've experienced something opposite of this.

I am by no means weak, but i don't always lift in a hypertrophy or maximal strength range. Especially when working legs (which i am trying to correct synergistic dominance/overactive quads/underactive glutes). I actually also switch up my training from time to time, working hypertrophy or strength training for about a month at a time before switching back to endurance work.

SO-SO-SO often at my gym (which has a fair number of women in the weight room) i'll get scoffs from the other women like "wow, she doesn't know she needs to lift heavy" or "she knows lifting little barbie weights aren't going to do anything for her, right?". I even get guys in there with their girlfriends pointing to me where i'm doing an exercise and then they load up their girlfriends with more weight and replicate the movement.

Anyway, i'm a personal trainer and i always perform exercises with the best possible form, with a controlled and planned tempo, and with a purposeful repetition range. So, if you see me in the gym front squatting just the bar... i'm not weak. I can lift more. that just may not be my goal that day. I can lift a lot more. I can lift an insane amount if i wanted to just go in there and swing s#$t around all nilly-willy. :wink:

edit: this thread.... :lol:
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow That's interesting and it makes me wonder.

I have hypermobility syndrome so I often use low weights. When trying a new movement or exercise, it's sometimes necessary for me to use absolutely minimal weight to ensure I can do the whole movement without any joint crunching.

It's sometimes hard not to care that people might be judging you, especially when threads like this show that people are definitely watching and judging...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I know how this feels, but on the other hand i've experienced something opposite of this.

I am by no means weak, but i don't always lift in a hypertrophy or maximal strength range. Especially when working legs (which i am trying to correct synergistic dominance/overactive quads/underactive glutes). I actually also switch up my training from time to time, working hypertrophy or strength training for about a month at a time before switching back to endurance work.

SO-SO-SO often at my gym (which has a fair number of women in the weight room) i'll get scoffs from the other women like "wow, she doesn't know she needs to lift heavy" or "she knows lifting little barbie weights aren't going to do anything for her, right?". I even get guys in there with their girlfriends pointing to me where i'm doing an exercise and then they load up their girlfriends with more weight and replicate the movement.

Anyway, i'm a personal trainer and i always perform exercises with the best possible form, with a controlled and planned tempo, and with a purposeful repetition range. So, if you see me in the gym front squatting just the bar... i'm not weak. I can lift more. that just may not be my goal that day. I can lift a lot more. I can lift an insane amount if i wanted to just go in there and swing s#$t around all nilly-willy. :wink:

I think people are just unnecessarily competitive. I complained in another "people at the gym" thread about someone who hopped on a treadmill next to me and started doing sprints. I was probably running 14 or 15 minute miles. Seems to happen a lot less when I run outside (people faster are eventually out of sight). I try not to let it irritate me, I am kind of anti-competitive. Someone racing me makes me want to stop and walk honestly. Like "yes, go ahead, I know I'm slow, I'm not trying to compete with you, there's no way I could..."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow That's interesting and it makes me wonder.

I have hypermobility syndrome so I often use low weights. When trying a new movement or exercise, it's sometimes necessary for me to use absolutely minimal weight to ensure I can do the whole movement without any joint crunching.

It's sometimes hard not to care that people might be judging you, especially when threads like this show that people are definitely watching and judging...

you're kinda damned if you do damned if you dont. *shrug*

Just gotta focus on you and realize that no one else in there matters. Unless someone is doing something wacky and eye catching or dangerous or just blatantly staring at me i probably wont even notice you're there.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I prefer dips to work my triceps. Honestly, kickbacks are pretty worthless, but if you have time to waste...

That's fine if you don't fancy them but they certainly seem like a beneficial exercise if executed properly. https://youtube.com/watch?v=rTsNG5c568k

Maybe OP does them to help with his golf swing. Maybe he just wants some horseshoe action this summer. Who knows. Everyone is trying to get in their zone at the gym. I think we should show solidarity or at least pretend they're invisible. OP got dragged for paying attention to something that does not concern him (doesn't make him a bad guy) but then people are having a go at his choice of exercise. Like gyms are handing out gold stars to people who exercise the best.

To be fair, noticing it isn't the crime.

It's making a forum post about it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I think people are just unnecessarily competitive. I complained in another "people at the gym" thread about someone who hopped on a treadmill next to me and started doing sprints. I was probably running 14 or 15 minute miles. Seems to happen a lot less when I run outside (people faster are eventually out of sight). I try not to let it irritate me, I am kind of anti-competitive. Someone racing me makes me want to stop and walk honestly. Like "yes, go ahead, I know I'm slow, I'm not trying to compete with you, there's no way I could..."

What if their plan was to run treadmill sprints and didn't even notice you?
  • DavPul
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I wasn't so much taking a swipe at him for making a post, more so that his post was 500 words where 475 of them were concerned with how awesome he was and just a handful of words were, "so what do you guys think about ego lifters?"
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I wasn't so much taking a swipe at him for making a post, more so that his post was 500 words where 475 of them were concerned with how awesome he was and just a handful of words were, "so what do you guys think about ego lifters?"

This is reasonable feedback. Edit follows:

noticing it isn't the crime.

It's making a forum post about himself with a passing reference to what he noticed as an excuse.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

This is reasonable feedback. Edit follows:

noticing it isn't the crime.

It's making a forum post about himself with a passing reference to what he noticed as an excuse.

But there is an "I" in kickback so all good.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the posts. Perhaps he was miring you and thought that he would look like you if he did all the exact same things? Or maybe he thought that would get your attention and you might help a newb out?
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I bet I could lift more than all you put together!!!
  • DavPul
    Options

no one kickbacks more weight than me, NO ONE*

*except for all the people that do, but they only do it because their egos are inflated.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

no one kickbacks more weight than me, NO ONE*

*except for all the people that do, but they only do it because their egos are inflated.

Don't forget, it also doesn't count if you're not a natural lifter.