Ladies and low carb

Options
Hi Ladies, I'd like to hear your experiences re your cycle after going low carb, keto, Atkins etc.

Thankyou in advance for sharing what some may find a little uncomfortable :-)

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    My experience can be summed up in one word: hangry.

That of course was ten years ago and thankfully I've learned much since then and would never subject myself to that torture again.
  • rippedhippie
    rippedhippie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat low carb, you need to eat the right carbs.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had horrible stomach cramps and gained it all back. I was miserable.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been on a ketogenic diet for about 10 months. My cycles have been slightly more regular (closer to 28 days than 29 or 30) and I've found pms to be slightly reduced. I also find that I have have slightly less bloating; perhaps that is due to the water retaining qualities of a high carb diet.

Some women do find that when they drop their carbs quite a bit, that their cycles are thrown off for a month or even two. It isn't anything that appears to last.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat low carb, you need to eat the right carbs.

Tru dat
  • CoachKatie814
    CoachKatie814 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Low carb can cause hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems, and a host of other health issues. Each of these, in the end, can lead to weight gain or just make it really hard to lose weight. It can work in the beginning, but too low carb isn't worth it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Low carb can cause hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems, and a host of other health issues. Each of these, in the end, can lead to weight gain or just make it really hard to lose weight. It can work in the beginning, but too low carb isn't worth it.

No it doesn't. Low carb, even extremely low carb, while not for everyone, can be a healthy dietary option.
  • Huera629
    Huera629 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb a few times in the past. It was my go to diet. Each time I would be a few days late for a couple months. I lost about 30 lbs in 3 months. I would stop and gain it all back. Im calorie counting this time around. Im alot happier for sure. Weight loss maybe just a little slower but worth it.
  • MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Please only comment in relation to my status I wasn't asking how people felt about low carb.

Thankyou for all other responses :-) seems everyone differs quite a bit, personally after 4 months keto I've found I've had an extended period but not heavy at all which is unusual and I'm on the pill but otherwise I feel great so will see how my next cycle is. Has anyone experienced this?
  • nvmomketo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maybe try bringing the question over to the Low Carber Daily group. There are many who are LCHF and keto and may be able to help. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Nifesie
    Nifesie Posts: 25 Member
    Options

That's not fact.
  • brandyhaynes26
    brandyhaynes26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on low carb to level my glucose levels. My goal is 50 a day. I just started on it, so haven't lost much. 2 lbs.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Low carb has played a huge role in balancing my hormones. I no longer get much in the way of acne, and my cycle has improved both in length and regularity.
  • Marrasquino
    Marrasquino Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Terrible constipation, fiber and healthy fats wouldn't help. I smelled ammonia all the time and had tons of gas and bloating. Also, very low blood sugar and blood pressure, and almost no energy all day. Kept it up for three weeks or so, then embraced my destiny as the carbs queen. I know it's a wonderful option for some people, but every body works differently. Give it a try, but don't get taken it by people who say it's perfect for everyone either.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Terrible constipation, fiber and healthy fats wouldn't help. I smelled ammonia all the time and had tons of gas and bloating. Also, very low blood sugar and blood pressure, and almost no energy all day. Kept it up for three weeks or so, then embraced my destiny as the carbs queen. I know it's a wonderful option for some people, but every body works differently. Give it a try, but don't get taken it by people who say it's perfect for everyone either.

Ammonia smell is usually linked to high protein rather than high fat. Could that have been it?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've been eating LCHF for three years, come July. My first period after I started was seven days late (very unusual for me). But after that I became quite regular again, and as a nice bonus, my periods returned to how they were before I had kids (I had three children before I ever tried LCHF, and periods had gotten longer and heavier after my first child, sorry tmi, but you did ask, lol). I got pregnant in October 2014, had my baby in August 2015 (increased my carbs a bit during the pregnancy, but still low to moderate carb). Dropped back down to low carb levels once she was born (gradually, as I didn't want to decrease milk supply). I've lost all but 3 lbs of baby weight, but since I'm still breastfeeding, I haven't had a period yet. So I can't tell you how they are currently. They usually return somewhere between 10-12 months post partum, but we'll see if LCHF effects that at all. HTH!

Oh,and I wasn't on any kind of birth control through all this (hence the pregnancy, lol).