Kombucha-Induced Headache?

Options
I had Kombucha for the first time last night and I got a major headache that luckily resolved overnight, when I drank a bit today afternoon, the headache came back.

I'm not sensitive to caffeine or anything, so I'm just curious has anyone else felt like this after drinking it? For now obviously the drink is on hold, but I'm curious if this is just my body getting used to it or what. (I already looked it up on google, it says that the "toxins are leaving my body" causing my headache... but I highly doubt that).

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Never got a headache from kombucha, and I drink it often... are you eating enough? And drinking enough water?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If is causes you to have headaches, don't drink it. Individuals can have odd reactions to certain foods and drinks due to intolerance or allergies. Kombucha is more than just tea and sugar, it has been fermented and that produces a whole host of other compounds any one of which might be causing your issue. I think the question about whether you are eating enough and drinking enough water is wise to evaluate as well.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    http://www.m.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-538/kombucha+tea

Yes, kombucha tea CAN cause head or neck pain.

It also contains alcohol.
  • rtoode2
    rtoode2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @NaturalNancy Yup I believe I've been drinking water & (non-fermented) green tea and I've eaten as much as i normally do. And yesterday when I drank it I had finished eating dinner so it was definitely on a full stomach.
  • rtoode2
    rtoode2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @rileysowner Oh yeah it's in the fridge indefinitely until I figure out if I'm allergic, just intolerant of Kombucha, etc. I was asking to see if it's a common side effect or if it was just my body getting used to drinking bacTEAria and I was just overreacting.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I drink the Synergy brand, my favorite is the Grape.
    Hope the headache goes away and you figure out what's causing it.