Losing motivation

Options
When I first started my weight loss journey I weighed in at 248 pounds. I now weigh 161. Although I am very proud of myself for losing consistently and healthily I am 21 pounds shy of my goal and am lacking motivation. Weight loss has slowed right down... I'm not sticking to my diet plan like I was and am losing motivation to keep going. How can I get back on track and finish my journey to the end? Has anyone else felt like this in their journey? What did you do to keep going? Any advice is greatly appreciated :))vbnd9ft29j4e.jpeg
jl0urv0xgnlk.jpeg

Replies

• Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You've come a long way and lost so much weight and you look great, don't lose motivation now, I've had a really similar loss to yours and everyday I just looked at an old picture of myself and that motivated me and I reached my goal. You can do the same, just a little left to go. ☺
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Why don't you plan a short break? Continue to log your food everyday on MFP, but eat at maintenance instead of a deficit. Might be enough of a break to keep you here, but not so much that you "fall off the wagon".
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on weight loss so far!! Have you thought of a diet break? and just eat at maintenance for awhile?
  • faycoughlan
    faycoughlan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why don't you plan a short break? Continue to log your food everyday on MFP, but eat at maintenance instead of a deficit. Might be enough of a break to keep you here, but not so much that you "fall off the wagon".
    Thanks so much, that's a great idea! I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice
  • faycoughlan
    Options
    Lewisg51 wrote: »
    You've come a long way and lost so much weight and you look great, don't lose motivation now, I've had a really similar loss to yours and everyday I just looked at an old picture of myself and that motivated me and I reached my goal. You can do the same, just a little left to go. ☺

Yes! I continuously look at old pics and think wow was that actually me?? I just need a extra push for the last few pounds. Thanks so much for the advice!

• Lewisg51
    Lewisg51 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Lewisg51 wrote: »

Yes! I continuously look at old pics and think wow was that actually me?? I just need a extra push for the last few pounds. Thanks so much for the advice!

No thank you for the motivation ☺ love seeing a transformation
  • faycoughlan
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Lewisg51 thank you! :)
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Take a short break, donate / sell items that no longer make you happy, organize your life a bit and enjoy yourself.
  • faycoughlan
    Options
    @queenliz99 I have never thought about it before until someone else mentioned. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and hopefully it gets me motivated again :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 I have never thought about it before until someone else mentioned. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and hopefully it gets me motivated again :)

It's refreshing :)
  • bikebasket
    bikebasket Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! ...maybe while you take a little Spring organize creative break you could post some ways you stayed motivated as long as you did to get so much weight off..I have probably 90 pounds that I have been trying to get off for the past 20 years...constantly trying but lose sight of my goal after 10 pounds lost..lost 27 last Spring thru Summer then gained it back in a matter of weeks!...maybe thinking back on how you were so successful will help ME and in turn help you...I don't know...I am a stress eater ...needing help
  • AJones19802014
    AJones19802014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am definitely lacking motivation right now. I started my diet two years ago this past January. I began at 292.8 pounds. I lost 100 pounds in a year's time and maintained that for another 10 months or so but once the holidays came around in 2015, I've slowly slipped back into old habits. I've gained close to 35 pounds back and I just want to give up. I still go to the gym and workout but I don't have the motivation to eat healthy anymore. I get so down on myself and then I feel like eating badly again. I just want to get that weight back off and get back on track. What is wrong with me???
  • faycoughlan
    Options
    I am definitely lacking motivation right now. I started my diet two years ago this past January. I began at 292.8 pounds. I lost 100 pounds in a year's time and maintained that for another 10 months or so but once the holidays came around in 2015, I've slowly slipped back into old habits. I've gained close to 35 pounds back and I just want to give up. I still go to the gym and workout but I don't have the motivation to eat healthy anymore. I get so down on myself and then I feel like eating badly again. I just want to get that weight back off and get back on track. What is wrong with me???
    I thought I was the only one feeling like this! I think we feel down because we see other people at goal weight and being so successful! But we are successful! You and I have lost a lot of weight, and became healthier. We are human and cannot be perfect all the time! It sure is hard. I'm definitely going to take the advice of a couple of people and eat calories to maintain instead of loss. Just to give my body and mind a break. I have no doubt you will find your strength again and continue on the amazing journey you have started. We can do this!!!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    A break if great but make sure you keep weighing yourself regularly to make sure your break doesnt end up with you putting on weight again, you dont want to have to lose those pds all over again. That being said you may experience an initial bump in weight as you move from a deficit so give yourself an upper limit that if you hit then breaks over.

I am close to my struggle point (again) I just cant seem to get over this hurdle in my weight loss. I am trying not to be too discouraged as I have lost a reasonable amount of weight but it sucks to be here again. Ive taken a break (including from calorie counting) for the past 4 months but have kept the weight gain to a min. I put on a bit over xmas and got that back off in Jan/Feb. I keep weighing in to keep myself on track. While I am not yet ready to go the whole hog again just yet I am determined that I am not going to slide back to where I was before. I have learnt some good habits from my last concerted weight loss effort and I still put many of them into practice. The main thing for me is I dont want to go backwards.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Figure out your maintenance calories for your goal weight and eat that for a while. You will still be in a deficit, but it will give you an opportunity to learn what you goal weight calories will be.
  • AnthonyThrashD_
    AnthonyThrashD_ Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Take all your junk food and throw it at your friends. They'll probably chase you, so run fast! Voila! Caloric restriction, cardio and motivation! :p
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by not feeling motivated? If you don't want to lose more pounds, you don't have to, right? I don't mean to sound snarky, just trying to understand. If you WANT to keep going, then you know HOW to do. Set your plan and follow it. If you don't WANT to, you're already in a great place and it's ok to change your goal weight from 140 to 160.
  • faycoughlan
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by not feeling motivated? If you don't want to lose more pounds, you don't have to, right? I don't mean to sound snarky, just trying to understand. If you WANT to keep going, then you know HOW to do. Set your plan and follow it. If you don't WANT to, you're already in a great place and it's ok to change your goal weight from 140 to 160.
    I want to lose 21 pounds. I have been overweight for most of my life and 140 was always my goal. I still feel like I have work to do. Yes I know what I need to do, but my willpower is shot at the moment. I have been dieting for the past 2 years religiously and have come to a plateau. I want to find the motivation that I had in the beginning to continue to where I want to get too. It's hard when your friends and family eat whatever they want around you... And my self control seems to not be with me right now. Yes I feel a lot more confident where I am now then where I used to be, but I have that goal embedded in my brain. I hope taking a couple of weeks off and eating at maintenance will make me inspired again to get to the finish line. Just feeling very vulnerable and weak at this time in my journey.

• faycoughlan
    Options
    Take all your junk food and throw it at your friends. They'll probably chase you, so run fast! Voila! Caloric restriction, cardio and motivation! :p

LOL! Sounds like a fantastic plan!!
  • zepeda11
    zepeda11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definitely raise your calories to maintenance. You will feel so much better. Your hormones will thank you. You may even lose weight during maintenance. Enjoy your self you deserve it. Then go back on the calorie deficit and tackle those last 20 pounds.