Dissapointing loss

Options
drpsamin
drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
This week I've eating so clean, worked out 5 times. Weight loss - 0.6 pound!!!!

Edit- I wrote all this but got deleted. I ate 1200-1300 calories daily. Less than 30g carbs.

I should also mention I'm nursing Mother of a 9 month old. I have about 20lb to lose.
Ex-runner/fit, messed up knee so only doing Swimming at the moment.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eating clean doesn't really mean anything in terms of weight loss. All that matters for losing weight is that you eat fewer calories than you burn. So, if you're not logging your calories, it's extremely possible that you're simply eating too many calories.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    the amount lost has to do with caloric deficit, not whether you eat "clean", whatever that means to you. this just means (other factors such as water retention, time of the month etc aside) you had a deficit of approximately 2100 calories spread out over the week. Nothing wrong with that.
  • zepeda11
    zepeda11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have been in a calorie deficit for a long time. You metabolism may have slowed down. If this is the case try eating at maintenance for a week or two. Your metabolism will then stabilize. You then go back on a deficit a begin to lose weight again. Repeat if necessary.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about your weight drop. Keep an eye on your body shape and how your clothes fit. It took me a about 5 weeks before my weight started dropping.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    zepeda11 wrote: »
    Don't know if you have been in a calorie deficit for a long time. You metabolism may have slowed down. If this is the case try eating at maintenance for a week or two. Your metabolism will then stabilize. You then go back on a deficit a begin to lose weight again. Repeat if necessary.

No. This is just false.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options

That isn't how that works...?

OP, be patient. Many things affect weight - water weight [sodium baaaad], periods/hormones, stress, etc. When you stay the same weight for a few weeks, that is the time to worry. Could be worse - I stay the same weight for a month, have my period, then tend to 'woosh' and lose a few pounds through the course of a day, where it stays down. So much peeing..
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No. This is just false.

There's sure no science behind it...but every single time I plateau, I do exactly this, and I drop weight *shrug* I'm not really concerned anymore what science says. 125 lbs lost, and breaking through about 15 plateaus tells me I know my own body just fine. I stop losing? I just eat maintenance for 1-2 weeks, and once I cut again I am right back to losing.
  • PixelPuff
    Options

No. This is just false.

There's sure no science behind it...but every single time I plateau, I do exactly this, and I drop weight *shrug* I'm not really concerned anymore what science says. 125 lbs lost, and breaking through about 15 plateaus tells me I know my own body just fine. I stop losing? I just eat maintenance for 1-2 weeks, and once I cut again I am right back to losing.

You lose weight because you went back to eating at a deficit, which makes you lose weight. xD If your metabolism was slowing, your maintenance is actually lowering. And 1-2 weeks isn't enough to be able to say "Ohgod, it reset me!" Definitely enough time for your body to sort out any extra hormones or sodium screwing with ya, though.
  • drpsamin
    Options
    I'd love to do research on benefits of a "cheat day" to see if there is any ☺️ so many swear by it but no literature ....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

No. This is just false.

Actually there is science behind it, but it's more about prolonged dieting being treated as a stressor to the body, significantly raising cortisol levels, causing a lot of water retention. Eating at maintenance brings the cortisol levels down and wooshes out the water. The effect is especially apparent if you are on a 1200 calorie diet, but can also be seen in milder deficits.

Edit: To OP, since you only have 20 lb to lose, 0.5 lb a week is a perfectly normal weight loss rate and you are not stalling.
  • zepeda11
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

No. This is just false.

You lose weight because you went back to eating at a deficit, which makes you lose weight. xD If your metabolism was slowing, your maintenance is actually lowering. And 1-2 weeks isn't enough to be able to say "Ohgod, it reset me!" Definitely enough time for your body to sort out any extra hormones or sodium screwing with ya, though.

I've have all my clients eat at maintenance after a plateau for 1 to 2 weeks, have them get back on a deficit and they continue losing weight.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    drpsamin wrote: »
    I'd love to do research on benefits of a "cheat day" to see if there is any ☺️ so many swear by it but no literature ....

I've noticed that depends on the person, when people post topics about it here or on the LoseIt subreddit. For me, cheat days are a huge no-go. I'll overeat or fall of my diet, and I know it. On the other hand, I eat whatever I want, just in smaller, more sensible portions. For others, it is the only way they'll actually STAY on their diet.
  • PixelPuff
    edited April 2016
    Options

No. This is just false.

I've have all my clients eat at maintenance after a plateau for 1 to 2 weeks, have them get back on a deficit and they continue losing weight.

And I doubt they'd continue to plateau if they continued eating at a deficit, because that isn't how the body works. As a note, my bro also is in this line of work.. xD And I'm 75lbs+ down, myself.
  • zepeda11
    Options

I've noticed that depends on the person, when people post topics about it here or on the LoseIt subreddit. For me, cheat days are a huge no-go. I'll overeat or fall of my diet, and I know it. On the other hand, I eat whatever I want, just in smaller, more sensible portions. For others, it is the only way they'll actually STAY on their diet.

This I do agree with you
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This week I've eating so clean, worked out 5 times. Weight loss - 0.6 pound!!!!

Edit- I wrote all this but got deleted. I ate 1200-1300 calories daily. Less than 30g carbs.

I should also mention I'm nursing Mother of a 9 month old. I have about 20lb to lose.
    Ex-runner/fit, messed up knee so only doing Swimming at the moment.

If you are nursing, you need to be eating more calories, for now. Not eating enough can jeopardize milk production. That being said, some women have a hard time losing while they are breastfeeding, others find it drops off pretty fast. Is there a reason you are doing low carb? With 20 lbs to lose, 0.6lb/week is a perfect loss. Be patient, you will get there.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    With only 20 lbs to lose that's a great loss. Right where it should be. Does your doctor approve of such a low calorie goal while breastfeeding?
  • drpsamin
    Options
    I was aiming to lose at least 2.2 pound per week.... Yes my doctor approves of 1200 diet. My milk supply is established and baby eating 6 solid meals per day and nursing 5-6 times. Also I'm not super bothered if my milk supply declines as I want to wean at 1 year.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I was aiming to lose at least 2.2 pound per week.... Yes my doctor approves of 1200 diet. My milk supply is established and baby eating 6 solid meals per day and nursing 5-6 times. Also I'm not super bothered if my milk supply declines as I want to wean at 1 year.

2.2 pounds a week is not reasonable for someone who only needs to lose 20 lb. That's a deficit of 1100 calories per day which would mean you need to net somewhere around 500-800 calories a day depending on your height and weight. 1200 calories is not going to cut it to achieve this rate of weight loss unless you are exercising for hours every day on top of it. For your health and for your child's health, don't have your net calories dip this low and don't expect the rate of weight loss you achieved in your first week (most of which is water) to be the norm.
  • drpsamin
    Options
    Thanks for tips. I think I just need to pace my expectations.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thanks for tips. I think I just need to pace my expectations.

This is a much healthier mindset! You can do it.