Calorie discrepency

Options
MFP is telling me to eat 1330 calories a day and Fitbit is telling me to have 1600. Both before any exercise. I'm confused and don't know which to follow. Concerned I will end up under or over eating and effect my progress

Replies

• TAWrensong
    TAWrensong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is your current height and weight? I think 1600 is too much for loss - more a maintenance allowance. My goal on myfitnesspal is 1200. I rarely go over that unless I am having a treat meal and would have done extra workout to balance it.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TAWrensong wrote: »
    What is your current height and weight? I think 1600 is too much for loss - more a maintenance allowance. My goal on myfitnesspal is 1200. I rarely go over that unless I am having a treat meal and would have done extra workout to balance it.

Let's establish the stats first before going down the lane of 1200 calories for loosing and 1600 being a maintenance target.....!

OP - can always start at 1300, assess and ramp up if results are not online with target!
    1300 - measure over 2 weeks and ramp up where / if needed.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You could average the two?!
    Say 1475 or 1500?

If you don't lose anything in a week or two, you know that you either need to step up the workouts, check those workout calories (ie meaning you are claiming, then eating too many calories back), or just need to lower your cals a tiny bit.

But you will more than likely lose at this calorie amount unless you are already close to your goal weight or just really small in general.

Big losses each week are not a good goal though as usually you are having to deprive yourself quite a bit, hungry, etc and fall into the "i'm going to eat everything in sight" kind of ordeal.

Good luck!!! :)
  • angpowers
    Options
    [/quote]

Let's establish the stats first before going down the lane of 1200 calories for loosing and 1600 being a maintenance target.....!

[/quote]

Agreed.
    Very rarely is 1200 calories sustainable.
    And you're just miserable.
    Those who say they aren't? Are in denial haha Oooooor they've only started.

Don't do that to yourself haha

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Agreed.

[/quote]

@Etherealglow Also saying that everyone eating 1200 calories is miserable or in denial is not true and a bit rude as well :) Not everyone is the same I'm doing 1200 for 80 days now and don't feel deprived at all. I feel I could easily live with 1200 as my maintenance long term (I won't once I hit my goal weight because my TDEE is higher - but if it was 1200 I'd have no issues with that). But having said that I'm very short and close to my goal weight and other then my daily 10 k steps not very active. You can't put everyone in the same box.

And to OP. I would personally go with the number MFP gives you and then adjust if needed. However if you feel like it is not enough for you try maybe 1500 and see how that goes. The difference might be that your FitBit is set to slower weight loss (ex. 0.5 vs 1 lbs) - you should check your FitBit for that. Good luck :)
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals a day, I'm v small (4'11") and I've put down sedentary as activity is not regular.
    My Fitbit gives me higher cals when I do more. So for example if nearer the end of the day if I've moved loads and am hitting a daily burn of around 2000 cals it would let me eat up to 1500 as I'm set to be at a 500 kcal defict per day.
    Personally I use mfp for food and Fitbit for exercise and eat back some exercise cals if needed.
    I would stick to your mfp deficit and sync Fitbit with negative adjustments enabled. If you are losing too much to quick up the cals for a bit and reevaluate x
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

psh I maintain at 2k in the winter 2400 in the summer.

I lost 1lb a week on 1600.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    For the OP...I have a fitness tracker too.

Did you set your Fitbit to lose and how much? Is it the same as MFP.

I actually use MFP for calories and let the tracker do it's thing for adding calories.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

That's a very generalized statement to make based on YOUR caloric needs. Not every female needs to eat 1200 calories to lose or 1600 to maintain. I eat 2100 a day for a 2+ pounds a week loss
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cals a day, I'm v small (4'11") and I've put down sedentary as activity is not regular.
    My Fitbit gives me higher cals when I do more. So for example if nearer the end of the day if I've moved loads and am hitting a daily burn of around 2000 cals it would let me eat up to 1500 as I'm set to be at a 500 kcal defict per day.
    Personally I use mfp for food and Fitbit for exercise and eat back some exercise cals if needed.
    I would stick to your mfp deficit and sync Fitbit with negative adjustments enabled. If you are losing too much to quick up the cals for a bit and reevaluate x

I agree with the bolded part above. :flowerforyou:
  • angpowers
    edited April 2016
    Options

Agreed.

[/quote]

@Etherealglow Also saying that everyone eating 1200 calories is miserable or in denial is not true and a bit rude as well :) Not everyone is the same I'm doing 1200 for 80 days now and don't feel deprived at all. I feel I could easily live with 1200 as my maintenance long term (I won't once I hit my goal weight because my TDEE is higher - but if it was 1200 I'd have no issues with that). But having said that I'm very short and close to my goal weight and other then my daily 10 k steps not very active. You can't put everyone in the same box.

And to OP. I would personally go with the number MFP gives you and then adjust if needed. However if you feel like it is not enough for you try maybe 1500 and see how that goes. The difference might be that your FitBit is set to slower weight loss (ex. 0.5 vs 1 lbs) - you should check your FitBit for that. Good luck :)[/quote]

Meh, if you are offended or think its "rude" what I wrote -- to each their own.
    It's MY opinion :wink:
    People are just waaaay overly sensitive these day. Goodness.

But that 1200 is working for you?? Awesome! You gotta do you!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options

what are you talking about?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

You must not be very active then. I'm 5'3" and I got all the way down to 109 eating 1900 to 2300 calories per day. I'm bulking now, currently 115, eating 2500 to 3000 calories per day and I'm still not gaining as much weight as I'm supposed to be.