Dr McDougall way of eating

Options

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    McDougall's diet is going to better than the vast majority of Western diets, but his unscientific fear of plant-fats won't let me take him seriously.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    wow how many of you have actually tried this way? You can still eat good and be satisfied with your food choices and they are very flavorful. I feel better eating this way than I have ever felt. My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone. You can eat starches without all the fat that normally people add to them. I was actually looking for people that "like" this way of eating.

Have you ever jumped off a cliff because someone said it was good for you?

You don't need to try something that is obviously a load of utter hogwash to know it is, in fact, utter hogwash.

Also, psychosomatics.

I'm not a strict follower of "his" plan, I am concentrating on Less/no processed foods, no animal products, whole foods, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, fruit etc. How can that be SO wrong. It's healthy foods and I do get my calories and protein in daily. I've never even read that he "HE" restricts calories, in fact they all say UNLIMITED portions of whole foods! I don't desire to eat HIGH FAT, CHOLESTEROL OR JUNK. I think that is a personal decision and I'm not following anyone's way, it's what I want to do and I look at those that are doing what I want to do!

You can gain weight eating whole foods, just like you can gain weight eating 'unwhole' foods. Any food will cause a gain if you're eating over your maintenance level calories. There's also nothing bad about foods that contain fat and cholesterol, and labeling foods 'junk', 'bad' or 'good' doesn't really mean anything since they're subjective terms. One guru will tell you meat is evil. The next one will tell you that whole grains are evil. What it comes down to is salespeople trying to make a buck via their books/programs/supplements/'must have' equipment/videos/retreats/tv appearances etc etc.

There's nothing wrong with having an eating preference, but when a guru pushes his latest gimmick as THE way to eat for optimal health, that's when people call bull. Especially when the guru is telling people they have to cut out entire food groups.

Surely you don't think saturated fat is "subjectively" healthy? I'm all for not labeling foods if it will prevent less eating disorders in people, but if you're going to suggest that a hot-dog isn't any better or worse than a sweet potato because they both have different nutritional profiles, I think that would be a tad dishonest.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A whole foods, plant based diet can cause obesity?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Yes, if someone eats above their maintenance calories. Doesn't matter if it's whole foods or foods cut into tiny bites: calories above and beyond maintenance will lead to weight gain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Can't see why not. Just like with any diet, if you eat too much you will gain weight.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone.

Plantar fictitious.....as opposed to plantar factual? B)

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I kinda eat that way anyway, after a scary cholesterol result, and I feel the best I ever have, quite frankly, but didn't know it was a "program" and the sale of branded products turns me off as much as Atkins, weight watchers and all the others out there selling you stuff instead of teaching people how to eat real food. It has similarities with Ornish/Esselstyn. I don't get the hostility. Eat more green stuff, more fruit, more whole grains, less meat and cut out the crap. Seems pretty sensible to me.

I agree with you!
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone.

Plantar fictitious.....as opposed to plantar factual? B)

LOL... Spell check.. I meant plantar fasciitis!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    wow how many of you have actually tried this way? You can still eat good and be satisfied with your food choices and they are very flavorful. I feel better eating this way than I have ever felt. My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone. You can eat starches without all the fat that normally people add to them. I was actually looking for people that "like" this way of eating.

You don't need to try something that is obviously a load of utter hogwash to know it is, in fact, utter hogwash.

Also, psychosomatics.

I'm not a strict follower of "his" plan, I am concentrating on Less/no processed foods, no animal products, whole foods, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, fruit etc. How can that be SO wrong. It's healthy foods and I do get my calories and protein in daily. I've never even read that he "HE" restricts calories, in fact they all say UNLIMITED portions of whole foods! I don't desire to eat HIGH FAT, CHOLESTEROL OR JUNK. I think that is a personal decision and I'm not following anyone's way, it's what I want to do and I look at those that are doing what I want to do!

You can gain weight eating whole foods, just like you can gain weight eating 'unwhole' foods. Any food will cause a gain if you're eating over your maintenance level calories. There's also nothing bad about foods that contain fat and cholesterol, and labeling foods 'junk', 'bad' or 'good' doesn't really mean anything since they're subjective terms. One guru will tell you meat is evil. The next one will tell you that whole grains are evil. What it comes down to is salespeople trying to make a buck via their books/programs/supplements/'must have' equipment/videos/retreats/tv appearances etc etc.

There's nothing wrong with having an eating preference, but when a guru pushes his latest gimmick as THE way to eat for optimal health, that's when people call bull. Especially when the guru is telling people they have to cut out entire food groups.

All of this.

OP if you were looking for people eating a plant based diet, there are plenty of them. I would try leading with that instead of asking for people who are following a known woo peddler who has about as much credibility as Dr. Oz...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Also, psychosomatics.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Your original post asks if there is "anyone else" following the plan. Which implies that YOU are following the plan. But now you say you aren't following the plan and in fact haven't even really read about it.

Can you clarify what you're looking for here?

I never said I didn't read his book I've read his books and many others. I said I may not follow it entirely as they teach. I basically wanted to find othe r s on a plant based diet. I'm done here with all the negative comments.

It may have been better to ask if anyone is following a plant based diet as opposed to a diet associated with Dr. MacDougall. You would probably see much different results as there are many members who actually follow the lifestyle.

One point of semantics, dietary fats and cholesterol are not really unhealthy. Even the government recognized that there is no link between dietary cholesterol and body cholesterol. Unsaturated fats are really good for you an in fact will improve cholesterol.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Over 1,000 posts and you haven't seen CICO chanted at least two dozen times?
    Do you just post but not read anyone else's posts?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    McDougall's diet works because it a "restriction" diet. You only eat really bland food, and therefore don't want to eat as much since the food stinks. In general, most "restriction" diets fail in the long run because you'll eventually get sick of missing out on good tasting food.

that first bolded part just makes me sad.
  • Skinnybetcher
    Skinnybetcher Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ketosis is not actually good for you though. Also as far as atkins and keto diets go, I have yet to meet anyone keep their weight off LONG TERM with these diets as it IS possible to have metabolic damage due to restricting your carbs. I am someone who has had to deal with metabolic damage over the last few years from following extremely low carb diets. Now at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you - so I'm not trying to put anyone down who enjoys or follows a low carb diet. If that's what you like, then that's what matters. With high carb vegan diets, these are supposed to be long term solutions, not short term. You can look at people like Freelee and "HighCarbHannah" on YouTube, who have achieved long term, excellent results from following Mcdougall style diets. But for MOST people, they are not realistic to follow. As a New Yorker, I'm not going to back out of having my NY style pizza. And no, Daiya pizza and vegan style pizza's simply do not cut it. Secondly, I believe that "soy" based products are actually worse for you than consuming meat. Soy protein isolate for instance, is much more cancerous than meat. So unless you're ONLY consuming whole plant foods which are literally just fruit, nuts, avocados, vegetables, legumes, and rice...it's not going to put you at "less of a risk" for cancer. Variety is the spice of life, and I don't think restricting yourself to only certain groups of foods, no matter what diet you follow - is the answer

Oh and about meat being linked to cancer... It's not JUST meat. I do know someone who reversed her cancer completely with a raw food diet. So yes...food can definitely play a huge role in our health. But it isn't fair to say meat is the only and number one cause. Most people, particularly Americans- aren't active. On top of that, because our food is highly processed it's easy to over consume. So if you're going to over consume AND not exercise to burn those calories off, of course it's possible to get cancer and all sorts of diseases. But we have to take into account other factors too, like genetics.
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I too was very surprised with all the negative comments when I posted in the community with a question regarding vegetarianism last night. These people who have posted are not experts on nutrition . Nor am I . I have read a lot of books on diet and nutrition . Although his plan seems challenging to stick with long term , if it makes you feel better than why not? Good luck to you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    lyssa1210 wrote: »

I too was very surprised with all the negative comments when I posted in the community with a question regarding vegetarianism last night. These people who have posted are not experts on nutrition . Nor am I . I have read a lot of books on diet and nutrition . Although his plan seems challenging to stick with long term , if it makes you feel better than why not? Good luck to you.

Because this man believes the best way to cure aggressive breast and prostate cancer is through diet. He's a charlatan who is trying to make money. I'm sure he'll sell you another book to read.

Maybe if you don't want to get negative opinion from non-experts, don't ask for an opinion on something on a board of non-experts.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    lyssa1210 wrote: »

Because this man believes the best way to cure aggressive breast and prostate cancer is through diet. He's a charlatan who is trying to make money. I'm sure he'll sell you another book to read.

Maybe if you don't want to get negative opinion from non-experts, don't ask for an opinion on something on a board of non-experts.

Actually I'm pretty sure there's people who have more expertise on nutrition and fitness on these boards than any of those diet book authors tend to have.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Yep. Did for me :/
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    OP, I assume you are not new here, but the best of us need this reminder every now and then (#10 especially applies to you): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ketosis is not actually good for you though. Also as far as atkins and keto diets go, I have yet to meet anyone keep their weight off LONG TERM with these diets as it IS possible to have metabolic damage due to restricting your carbs. I am someone who has had to deal with metabolic damage over the last few years from following extremely low carb diets. Now at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you - so I'm not trying to put anyone down who enjoys or follows a low carb diet. If that's what you like, then that's what matters. With high carb vegan diets, these are supposed to be long term solutions, not short term. You can look at people like Freelee and "HighCarbHannah" on YouTube, who have achieved long term, excellent results from following Mcdougall style diets. But for MOST people, they are not realistic to follow. As a New Yorker, I'm not going to back out of having my NY style pizza. And no, Daiya pizza and vegan style pizza's simply do not cut it. Secondly, I believe that "soy" based products are actually worse for you than consuming meat. Soy protein isolate for instance, is much more cancerous than meat. So unless you're ONLY consuming whole plant foods which are literally just fruit, nuts, avocados, vegetables, legumes, and rice...it's not going to put you at "less of a risk" for cancer. Variety is the spice of life, and I don't think restricting yourself to only certain groups of foods, no matter what diet you follow - is the answer

Oh and about meat being linked to cancer... It's not JUST meat. I do know someone who reversed her cancer completely with a raw food diet. So yes...food can definitely play a huge role in our health. But it isn't fair to say meat is the only and number one cause. Most people, particularly Americans- aren't active. On top of that, because our food is highly processed it's easy to over consume. So if you're going to over consume AND not exercise to burn those calories off, of course it's possible to get cancer and all sorts of diseases. But we have to take into account other factors too, like genetics.

First, there are only a few studies that would suggest a lot of processed red meat has been linked to some cancers, but considering there are tons of varieties of cancers, ones diet is will play less of a roll than you think. Genetics will play a much larger roll. My family and my wife's family have been meat and potatoes types their entire life (English and Irish respectively) and its very typical to see our members live into their 90s (in fact, my overweight great uncle just past away at 96 years old).

Youtube people like Freelee are not people you should follow considering they know nothing about nutrition and mainly spout nonsense. Freelee has maintained her weight loss because she is a long distance cyclist. And if you cycle as much as her, you could be skinny on any diet.

Out of curiosity, how did Keto or low carb cause you metabolic damage. There are tons of people who have been in long term states of ketosis and are healthy.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I personally don't see anything wrong with eating a plant based diet primarily rich in starchy vegetables.

If it is what you enjoy eating, allows you to eat a diet that you can maintain, and you feel full and satisfied as a result of the high quantity of foods.... go for it!

Just dont have some crazy expectation of being in the perfect optimal health. No one diet will give you that. :) P.S. He is wrong when he says "the fat you eat is the fat you wear", so don't go TOO easy on the fats!