Trust me. You don't want to open this thread.

Options

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    OMG amazing! Do you have a better picture? Black widows are gorgeous. I've seen a few of them and they are just so pretty. My husband ended up with a bunch of them crawling over his arms at work one day (by accident!)- luckily, he had gloves on and they didn't get under them; he managed to survive, LOL. So glad to hear that you caught her and are going to relocate her; I'd do the same thing. :flowerforyou:

My camera is dead, so only a cell-phone pic for now. But she's pretty standard. Glossy black with a bright red hourglass.

I'm digging all the spider love...er...tolerance anyway. Spiders keep the little swarmy bugs away!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I keep large cans of Raid in my house for such a creepy crawly. I destroyed a wolf spider a couple of nights ago by drowning him in Raid. It was great.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I keep large cans of Raid in my house for such a creepy crawly. I destroyed a wolf spider a couple of nights ago by drowning him in Raid. It was great.

:::insert karma/reincarnation joke here::

:wink:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Well, she's been keeping me safe from other little buggies, so it wouldn't be a very nice repayment if I smooshed her. I knew you'd understand. :)

Of course! I have a fundamental respect for all forms of life, and I believe that everything has its part to play. I *don't* believe that I have the right to deprive something of its life just because I happen to not like it, or it gives me the wibblies. Obviously if it were a case of survival, or putting something out of its misery, then I'd do what was necessary, without hesitation...but I'd get no satisfaction from it. I think it's a great shame that some people cannot see the benefits that critters bring us - they only see something to be destroyed. :cry:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

:::insert karma/reincarnation joke here::

:wink:

And of course, Raid is soooo ecologically sound too. :ohwell:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Well, thank goodness I don't believe in reincarnation or karma.

And yes, it is ecologically sound. It keeps the spiders from growing on my porch. :laugh:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with killing insects, even wasps and stuff, but when it comes to one of the deadliest spiders in the world I probably wouldn't mess about trying to relese it - you know one bite from a black widow is pretty much guarenteed to kill you? Risking your life for a spider is probably taking things a bit far
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I don't agree with killing insects, even wasps and stuff, but when it comes to one of the deadliest spiders in the world I probably wouldn't mess about trying to relese it - you know one bite from a black widow is pretty much guarenteed to kill you? Risking your life for a spider is probably taking things a bit far

Oh, no doubt. I would never risk my life for it. :laugh:
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HER??? If she gets pissed bc you took off one of her legs, and stings you, it could kill you! Eeek scary

Umm the spider's in a jar :)

hahaha I'm such a ditz... and really tired lol. Sorry :) So did not see the jar!
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yup, she's in a jar.

And I'm going to relocate her tomorrow. She'll be much happier out in the desert. XD

i dont know how you did that. i always try to release bugs and such. but a deadly spider? i freaked the other day trying to release a moth when it almost touched me. I've now trained my dog. Whenever I scream, he runs and usually eats the bug lol. It's odd how he's recognized my bug scream haha. But I do try to release them, if I can get the courage, and get to them before my dog. lol
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    easier than all that. a boot heel. they lay 10,000 eggs at a time. THere will be a replacement spider out there if you smash this one.

Bruce

<sigh> :ohwell:

Glad that you're going to relocate it , McKay - good for you. :flowerforyou:

Well, she's been keeping me safe from other little buggies, so it wouldn't be a very nice repayment if I smooshed her. I knew you'd understand. :)

The two of your are romaticising about a black widow. You're both insane.

Just reading the build up to your picture made me want to cry.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    easier than all that. a boot heel. they lay 10,000 eggs at a time. THere will be a replacement spider out there if you smash this one.

Bruce

<sigh> :ohwell:

Glad that you're going to relocate it , McKay - good for you. :flowerforyou:

The two of your are romaticising about a black widow. You're both insane.

Just reading the build up to your picture made me want to cry.

haha I warned ya!
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

haha I warned ya!

I know, but I'm a sucker for it. It's like telling someone not to look in the super-amazing-interesting looking box and then putting it down on their desk. How's anyone supposed to resist?!
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options

haha I warned ya!

I know, but I'm a sucker for it. It's like telling someone not to look in the super-amazing-interesting looking box and then putting it down on their desk. How's anyone supposed to resist?!

I know what you mean... I'm the world's worst arachnophobe (well, actually I'm very good at being an arachnophobe, but you know what I mean), and even I couldn't resist having a look at the picture (with my hand on the mouse ready to switch to another page if it was too horrible).

I do try not to kill spiders - just because I don't like them is not a reason to cost them their life. However, I'm not sure I could be brave enough to catch a biggy like this one for later release. Kudos to the original poster... :)
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    lol my boyfriend saw a widow about that size in my iceplant in front of my house....

he stomped her and that was the end....
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

Bruce

the thought of 10,000 eggs gave me worse heebie-jeebies than the thought of the one spider! ACK!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options

i just sighed in relief just imagining it! wolf spiders are the worst to me! they're so big and hairy and jumpy! ick.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Well, thank goodness I don't believe in reincarnation or karma.

And yes, it is ecologically sound. It keeps the spiders from growing on my porch. :laugh:

same :)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Jar it? I would have stomped it!! LOL Congratulations on your bravery!!!!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    They taste a lot like crab.