33 years old and a stroke erased years of healthy living...

Options
Hello :)

I'm Mae. 33.. normal, academic... and I had a stroke last year. A total fluke.

In a few months, it erased years of healthy eating and living. I gained 30 pounds... and the depression kept me from getting back to my normal self.

I'm getting married in a month - but I won't be able to lose weight before then (more than a few pounds). That isn't my goal. I just want to return to a healthy weight. My ideal weight.

So, I'm going to make today the first day of a long but fruitful journey.

Looking forward to it! (Mostly. Ha.)
peace.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the stroke and hope you are recovering well. I think you have a realistic attitude about not being able to lose all the weight before the wedding. Just stay at it as a lifestyle change. With a slight deficit it will happen just keep at it.
  • MaeChloMarie
    MaeChloMarie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Sorry about the stroke and hope you are recovering well. I think you have a realistic attitude about not being able to lose all the weight before the wedding. Just stay at it as a lifestyle change. With a slight deficit it will happen just keep at it.

Thanks so much!! I appreciate the encouragement.
  • annettemoe
    annettemoe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you had a health WHAM. It does change everything! I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 32 when my kids were babies (6, 4, and 14 mos). Being realistic is important and being proud of yourself for the choices you are making in the here and now are too. What are you doing to manage your blood pressure? Have you seen it be more a shift in food or movement? (I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure this week, hence the start of my journey!) I have been far to sedentary the last few years and for me, it is both, being aware of what I am putting in my mouth and getting off my butt and moving! Good luck to you and have a wonderful wedding!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I had a stroke almost 2 years ago when I was 35 and yep, gained about 30lbs. You've got the right attitude, but just remember that the journey back will take some time. I've only lost about 15 of the 30 I gained and I'm still not back to the same level of fitness prior to, but I'm getting there.

Patience is the key.
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that, lifes certainly full of challenges but you are a strong person, must be what your husband admires in you. I think you'll get their eventually with a bit of support can't hurt, and congrats on your wedding must be exciting. Personally I've dealt with multiple medical conditions during my time, mostly mental health. Ive lost weight 3x before untill finally finding the best lifestyle that suits me through lots of trial and error. So far I've lost 14kg and finally don't feel so miserable always feeling hungry. My best advice is to avoid going on any kind of diets but find eating and excercising habits that work well for you. If you need any help im happy to pich in. All the best!
  • dlmcgowan93
    dlmcgowan93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello survivor! I had my stroke 9 years ago at 41. Left me with some major deficits and serious weight gain. I still have issues with my right arm and hand but I'm here. This is a great place to be to get healthy and develop the good eating habits that you probably had before. Track what you eat and move - you will get there!!!! Congrats on the wedding.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Thank you so much for not posting a "how can I lose 30 pounds in one month?" thread because I would have had to ask you which leg you wanted to amputate.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hello Mae and welcome to MFP. I'm sorry to hear about your stroke.
    Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and your realistic approach to lifestyle changes to lose the post-stroke weight.
  • MaeChloMarie
    Options
    annettemoe wrote: »
    I am sorry that you had a health WHAM. It does change everything! I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 32 when my kids were babies (6, 4, and 14 mos). Being realistic is important and being proud of yourself for the choices you are making in the here and now are too. What are you doing to manage your blood pressure? Have you seen it be more a shift in food or movement? (I was just diagnosed with high blood pressure this week, hence the start of my journey!) I have been far to sedentary the last few years and for me, it is both, being aware of what I am putting in my mouth and getting off my butt and moving! Good luck to you and have a wonderful wedding!

I can't imagine receiving that diagnosis with three children.. goodness. You've been through so much!

I am going to reduce alcohol intake and sodium as best I can. I never think about how much sodium I'm consuming until I look at it on MFP. I'm also going to increase activity. My goal is to get off the medication -- I've tried a couple HBP medicines and both of them leave me feeling dizzy and weak.

Here's to small changes leading to big changes... the journey!
  • MaeChloMarie
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I had a stroke almost 2 years ago when I was 35 and yep, gained about 30lbs. You've got the right attitude, but just remember that the journey back will take some time. I've only lost about 15 of the 30 I gained and I'm still not back to the same level of fitness prior to, but I'm getting there.

Patience is the key.

I am glad you're also ok! I never (obviously) planned on something like this happening in my 30s.

The good thing? We have the time and the stamina to get better. Hang in there!
  • MaeChloMarie
    Options
    Hello survivor! I had my stroke 9 years ago at 41. Left me with some major deficits and serious weight gain. I still have issues with my right arm and hand but I'm here. This is a great place to be to get healthy and develop the good eating habits that you probably had before. Track what you eat and move - you will get there!!!! Congrats on the wedding.

Hello! Wow. I am blown away by how many people I have met who had a stroke in their 30s/40s. Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • MaeChloMarie
    Options
    I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Thank you so much for not posting a "how can I lose 30 pounds in one month?" thread because I would have had to ask you which leg you wanted to amputate.

Haha. I'm realistic. And I'd like to keep my limbs.
    Thanks!
  • MaeChloMarie
    Options
    Lucy1771 wrote: »
    Hello Mae and welcome to MFP. I'm sorry to hear about your stroke.
    Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and your realistic approach to lifestyle changes to lose the post-stroke weight.

Thanks! :)