Protein shake for weight loss?

Options
Hi all, I have bought the whey impact protein shake and was wondering if There's any point in drinking it? I currently weight around 220lbs and do mostly cardio.

One lady advised me not to drink it until I get down to a healthier weight as the shake will add onto the calories.

However, another person has advised I drink it from now as it'll stop me from burning muscle and therefore I will be burning fat.
I don't know what to do!! Pls help!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good for getting protein when you're not getting enough from other sources. To lose weight you need a calorie deficit.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good for getting protein when you're not getting enough from other sources. To lose weight you need a calorie deficit.
    Thank you for you response! So should I not drink it??
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

this^^^

caloric deficit to lose weight, and a calorie surplus to gain.. dont worry about ridiculous reasons from other people.. protein shakes are simply a way for people to hit a protein goal without using a bunch of calories. set a calorie goal for the day, and hit it. thats all you have to do
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    Extra protein, assuming you fit it into your calorie goal, will help maintain lean mass while in a deficit. It can be from a shake, or other food. No reason to wait to a better weight as long as you log it. For many people it helps them feel full longer making complying with your calorie goal easier.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options

this^^^

caloric deficit to lose weight, and a calorie surplus to gain.. dont worry about ridiculous reasons from other people.. protein shakes are simply a way for people to hit a protein goal without using a bunch of calories. set a calorie goal for the day, and hit it. thats all you have to do

Thanks! So should i drink a protein shake everyday as long as it's within my calorie limit?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you for you response! So should I not drink it??

It depends. You need enough protein to maintain good health. If you're doing resistance training you should be eating even more protein than normal. So if you have a hard time eating all that protein, then that's where protein shakes come in to play. It is just a supplement, to help you reach your protein goal for the day.

To lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. Eat less calories than you burn. As long as you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight, even if you are drinking protein shakes.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Work out your macros first. Once you know how much protein you should be eating check your diet to see if you can get your required protein from other foods. If the answer to this is yes then you don't need the protein shake.
  • Mojofilter
    Mojofilter Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protein shakes are a good way of getting extra protein IF you're not getting enough from your diet.
    They are also a good way of feeling fuller for longer on relatively few calories because, calorie for calorie, protein is more satiating than fat & carbs (although I prefer adding protein powder to food like porridge etc...) .

Track your macros in MFP and if you're not getting enough protein from your diet (and there's a reasonable chance you won't be if you're running a deficit) then it's probably worth toping up with a shake as long as you remain in your calorie budget.

It's better to get the protein from your diet but that's not always practical.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Extra protein, assuming you fit it into your calorie goal, will help maintain lean mass while in a deficit. It can be from a shake, or other food. No reason to wait to a better weight as long as you log it. For many people it helps them feel full longer making complying with your calorie goal easier.

agreed.
    i lost too much before addressing protein needs as i worried more about pure calorie deficit.wrongly.
    lost way too much muscle mass and burned out .
    took awhile to fix.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

this^^^

Thanks! So should i drink a protein shake everyday as long as it's within my calorie limit?

It depends on what your protein targets are and whether you're hitting them or not with regular food. Whey is just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets if you're having issues doing so with regular food. Whey has absolutely nothing to do with weight management.
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I personally benefitted from drinking protein shakes because it kept me less hungry througout the day. :) I personally thought it was worth it, but totally depends on you. If your under in protein all the time like I was, it helps a lot to meet your daily protein goal.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Frelise wrote: »
    I personally benefitted from drinking protein shakes because it kept me less hungry througout the day. :) I personally thought it was worth it, but totally depends on you. If your under in protein all the time like I was, it helps a lot to meet your daily protein goal.

This, protein shakes (can) help fill you up so you eat less.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes a few times a week, especially when I'm on the go and/or have a long workout to do. I weigh the powder and everything I mix it with and log it. I have found it beneficial for adding protein to my diet and keeping me satiated between meals. Also, I've concocted a recipe that tastes just like a thick chocolate milkshake so it's a sweet treat that doesn't end in a sugar crash.

So as long as you still have a calorie deficit, protein shakes won't slow your weight loss. That concern comes from the fact that lots of people think that protein shakes "don't count" or they don't log at all and in a lot of situations can easily be 300 calories+, which absolutely could impact weight loss.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1. Protein is muscle sparing and shakes are a convenient way to add more.
    2. Protein, more than carbs or fat, blunts hunger. Especially in high amounts.
    3. Treat the shake as you treat food and do not forget that calories > macros.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    VisofSer wrote: »
    1. Protein is muscle sparing and shakes are a convenient way to add more.
    2. Protein, more than carbs or fat, blunts hunger. Especially in high amounts.
    3. Treat the shake as you treat food and do not forget that calories > macros.

This is great, to the point advice. Excellent.