egg whites in a carton

Options
Anyone mess with the egg white's in a carton? I dont mind separating by hand, but dont really have anything to do with the left over yolk. Was just curious what people's thoughts were on the egg whites in a carton?

Thanks!

Replies

• JaseG86
    JaseG86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've not tried any yet, but I have been tempted and have actually just thrown one of these in my latest muscle foods order:
    http://www.musclefood.com/flavoured-egg-white-drink.html
    Not sure what it will be like, orange flavoured egg whites in a carton?! But like to try something different now and then!
  • brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's convenient when you only want egg whites. It's a time saver, that's about it.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use them all the time.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I like them myself especially for omelets
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I use them when I don't have a use for the yolk. They're convenient, easy and relatively cheap. I usually only use them in recipes or mixed with whole eggs but no one ever seems to taste the difference.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Yes I use them all the time too when I make omelets for breakfast or lunch.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat them everyday (2 whites and 1 egg - I like the added flavour the yolk gives, but with less calories). Plus I use them for baking a lot. I buy a 1L (1qt) container and it lasts me about a week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use them depending on the cost of eggs- if eggs go up- I switch to buying whole eggs and carton egg whites. If eggs are down- I separate by hand. I got through about 3 dozen eggs a week on average so time saver and money savers are real.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I use them to get more protein in. I often make omelettes with one egg and several egg whites. Very convenient.
  • laura935
    laura935 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time, they are convenient and I feel like I'm not wasting food by throwing out the yolk. Tastes just like eggs!
  • msheepy00
    msheepy00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time. Like a lot of the previous posters, I mix them with regular eggs or use them in recipes (not baking) which call for eggs as a binder. When they are on sale I buy lots because they freeze well. Just pop into the fridge to defrost over night!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I use them with a pinch of xanthan gum for whipped egg whites - great for making souffle omelets where you'd be wasting several yolks otherwise.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the egg white cartons, just because they are processed and have added stuff to extend their 'shelf' life.
    Instead, I prefer whole eggs. The yolks are having a 'bad' rep, but they are loaded with nutrition that good for your health if taken in smaller quantities.
    I usually eat upto two whole eggs at breakfast... it's one whole egg if I expect to eat meat that day. Thx!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    mankars wrote: »
    I don't buy the egg white cartons, just because they are processed and have added stuff to extend their 'shelf' life.
    Instead, I prefer whole eggs. The yolks are having a 'bad' rep, but they are loaded with nutrition that good for your health if taken in smaller quantities.
    I usually eat upto two whole eggs at breakfast... it's one whole egg if I expect to eat meat that day. Thx!!
    yes whole eggs are good- and more delicious
    but 3 whole eggs is 210 calories.
    my scrambled egg dinner is only 260 or so if I add egg whites to beef it up.

If I use 6 whole eggs I'm up to 410- that's almost a 1/3 of the food for the day.

Yes yolks are good- but they are significantly more calorie dense- no reason you can't use egg whites to round out an omelette to make it more filling with higher protein and not the calorie consumption.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options

I looked at the carton and there was one ingredient (these are the Kirkland egg whites) - liquid egg whites.

• DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    They're exactly the same thing as egg whites you separate yourself. Unless they are marked differently, like "imitation egg" or "vegan" or something, but as far as I know, any of the brands you see in the egg section at your grocery store are just going to be natural egg whites in a carton.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites every morning. 1/3 cup as an omelette folded and put into an English muffin with a slice of cheese.... The boys usually eat one or two regular eggs each so we go through two dozen a week easily...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The egg whites I buy are just egg whites...there is nothing added. I eat whole eggs as well, but I usually bulk that up with egg whites to boost the protein with minimal impact on my calories.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The only thing my carton of egg whites has in them is egg whites. Like milk, they have been pasteurized and that alone extends the shelf life.

I find them extremely convenient and I eat a lot of egg whites in my egg white mcmuffins, in my frittatas, I cook/bake with them. Great way to get in lots of protein without a lot of unnecessary calories.

If I were bulking, always eating the whole egg has a point, but I'm not and I can easily get the things the yolk provides from a multivitamin or some other meat protein source.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

I looked at the carton and there was one ingredient (these are the Kirkland egg whites) - liquid egg whites.
    Troof!!!

I'd like to point out the "shelf" life of eggs is pretty long anyway- like 2-3 weeks- I've kept eggs and egg whites from a carton in my fridge for easily that long and they are fine.