egg whites in a carton

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I vastly prefer whole eggs, so don't buy them, but if I wanted to use egg whites that's what I'd do, as I'm not wasting the yolks.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm an eggwhite only eater and have tried those type of eggwhites but it just seems odd to me to eat them from a carton like that. :D I prefer fresh local eggs so I just separate them and toss the yolk out (oh well).
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Yup, I eat an egg and some egg whites from a carton (also no added ingredients on any of the brands I use) every night. I used to do the separation thing but got lazy. :)
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Best thing since sliced bread....and considering I'm on a low carb diet and don't eat bread I guess it is THE best thing. Super convenient.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    When I make on omelette I'll use 1/2 whole eggs and 1/2 egg whites. I'll take the leftover yolks and make a creme brulee coffee creamer for my wife.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I vastly prefer whole eggs, so don't buy them, but if I wanted to use egg whites that's what I'd do, as I'm not wasting the yolks.

we used to have dogs- so the dogs would get them. But even my wildly obese cat can't keep up with my separated yolks- so yeah- no.... cartons are a little more "friendly" in the don't waste department.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like the texture of the liquid egg whites in a carton. I buy eggs at either costco/bjs or wherever they are on sale cheap, I use one whole Eggland's best egg, and 3-4 of the cheaper eggs for egg whites. When eggs are on sale for 99¢/dozen, this makes each white only 8¢, even at $1.49/ only 12¢, very doable. I hate wasting food, but for this I do it.
  • GoingSaiyan
    GoingSaiyan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use the empty water bottle trick and just suck the yolk away from the whites, but I'm sure the Carton whites are just the same.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    They're egg whites. In a carton.

I use them when I want egg whites because I don't know what to do with the extra yolks if I separate whole eggs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    That's all I use. Sometimes I can't finish the big carton before it goes bad and I still buy them. Eggs are great but I prefer to break up my macros. I don't want the fat in the egg, when I can double the volume with egg whites for less calories AND add avocado, to get my fat from another food source rather than just one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use egg whites in a carton to add to my smoothies. I haven't tried egg white scrambled eggs yet, I'm a bit worried how they will taste as I'm so used to using the whole egg..
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    They're exactly the same thing as egg whites you separate yourself. Unless they are marked differently, like "imitation egg" or "vegan" or something, but as far as I know, any of the brands you see in the egg section at your grocery store are just going to be natural egg whites in a carton.

With one notable difference - they are pasteurized, so you can use them safely even in recipes that will not be cooked without risk of salmonella.

Granted, these days, salmonella from eggs is quite rare with proper precautions being taken on poultry farms and the relative difficulty of salmonella transmission from hen to egg, but particularly when I'm cooking for others, I figure why not effectively eliminate the risk?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I mostly use them in scrambled eggs or omelets if I don't have the calories to spare for as many whole eggs as I want to eat. I usually include at least one whole egg in the mix.

I've used them in baking recipes that call for extra whites (although not in ones where the whites need to be whipped before adding, because I'm not sure if pasteurizing affects whipping volume, and I don't want to waste all the other ingredients if it doesn't work).

I don't use them in smoothies. If I want egg protein in my smoothies, I used dried whole egg or dried egg whites. The texture of raw egg doesn't appeal to me for a smoothie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

we used to have dogs- so the dogs would get them. But even my wildly obese cat can't keep up with my separated yolks- so yeah- no.... cartons are a little more "friendly" in the don't waste department.

My cats wouldn't eat them. Picky cats.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I mostly use them in scrambled eggs or omelets if I don't have the calories to spare for as many whole eggs as I want to eat. I usually include at least one whole egg in the mix.

I've used them in baking recipes that call for extra whites (although not in ones where the whites need to be whipped before adding, because I'm not sure if pasteurizing affects whipping volume, and I don't want to waste all the other ingredients if it doesn't work).

I don't use them in smoothies. If I want egg protein in my smoothies, I used dried whole egg or dried egg whites. The texture of raw egg doesn't appeal to me for a smoothie.

Carton egg whites don't whip very well on their own. But, if you add a tiny amount of xantham gum (I use a pinch per 4 egg whites), they'll be perfect. Bonus, they're more stable than regular whipped egg whites so you don't have to be quite so careful folding them or be as careful about whipping them right before using them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

My cats wouldn't eat them. Picky cats.

I have one that might lick a little bit- but of the three she's the only true meat eater- I was sitting on my bed having my chicken salad with my BF and she jumped on the bed ran over to me and snagged a chicken quick as you can say MEEP! off the plate. I managed to thwart her on her second attempt- but even she couldn't/wouldn't finish a whole yolk.

And going through like 4-6 wasted yolks- just makes me sad. So carton it is!!!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Very convenient, and they freeze well.
  • geminimcm
    geminimcm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use these constantly! They are awesome. It will save you lots of time and you dont have to waste the yolks. I put mine in a bowl sprayed with Pam. Then I mix in things like spinach or a chopped, cooked veggie burger, peas, etc, then microwave. I love it, turns out so good.
  • brala90
    brala90 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I like cracking them eggs because it makes me feel powerful. I also do it infront of my pet slave chicken.