Thoughts on quest bars?

Hey everyone, I was wondering what everyone thinks of quest bars? My goal is to lose fat, and I enjoy these. They are a great source of fiber and protein for me, but I've read different posts saying they can be bad?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    If you like the taste, you can fit them into your calories goals, and they help you with your fiber and protein needs then eat them
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    If you like the taste, you can fit them into your calories goals, and they help you with your fiber and protein needs then eat them

That's my view as well! They are also low carb, and I am on a low carb diet. I just recently read that they can supposedly lead to bloating and aren't good for you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Bad, how? If you like them eat them.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Lots of protein can cause gas....Quest bar or whatever else.
    tw807278 wrote: »

That's my view as well! They are also low carb, and I am on a low carb diet. I just recently read that they can supposedly lead to bloating and aren't good for you.

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Mission 1 bars are similar
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    They are bad for my wallet. My cheapish source dried up recently :(
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    My issues with them are cost and stomach trouble. They do bloat me, causing gas and other gastric distress.

But if you like them why not?
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Expensive, as a volume eater it sucks because they're gone so fast, taste to similar to candy bars to just eat one and since loaded with fiber bad to over do them. Also i have never gotten full from one ever.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Over hyped cardboard, actually no, cardboard would taste better.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Before the formula change, when I liked them, I ate one every single morning for breakfast. Every morning I was excited to have it. I do not care about the price. It was easy, tasty, got me a good amount of protein, and their calorie count is decent.

I cannot eat them anymore after the formula change though.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Quest bars can kiss me *kitten*
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Some of them taste quite nice but they're not worth the price, for me. The fruit flavor ones aren't so good, imo, bu the chocolate ones are OK. But not worth 4 bucks a bar. If I want chocolate I have me a fibre 1 brownie, and I pay $3 for the whole box, rather than just one bar.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    They're a nice little nighttime reward and a good way for getting extra protein and fiber. I'll usually eat one if I have macros remaining at the end of the day (in the microwave over ice cream if I have a lot of macros ;-)

I'll only buy them if I can get them on sale (<$1.50 per bar).
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    You will struggle to find a bar as high in protein and low in sugar as the Quest bars. I ask for them for birthday and Christmas gifts. I think they're worth every penny. If your stomach AND wallet tolerate them, keep at it.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    I quite like the quest bars, but don't absolutely love them. The raspberry white chocolate are my favourites though. For me, they're a way to satisfy my sweet tooth while getting a lot of protein and fibre. I have no digestive issues with eating them. They're pricy, but a treat.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    I don't do Quest but I like the Kind brand bars.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I like them, but only the cookie flavored ones.

If you have a 24 hour fitness in your area, they are selling all bars 10 for $20, so you can pick them up for $2/ea.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'd rather eat a Pure Protein bar if I had to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I like the new formula and since my wife has to be gluten free and lower carb (sub 120g), they tend to fit in nicely with her diet.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    tw807278 wrote: »

Hi Re: Quest Bars, I suspect that the bloating some experience are due to the sweeteners they use, possible sugar alcohols? I do see some listed in the ingredients.

From Wikipedia
    Sugar alcohols may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amounts.

FWIW the cost is not too bad if You can use the Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, such as the $5 off of one item on a box of them or the same way for the 20% off coupon.

Good Luck
    Roger