100+++ to lose and don't know where to start!

Options
hi everyone,
i have never used this app before so bear with me. i am 32 years old and have been diagnosed as type2 diabetic (which i don't want to start meds for) and also have high blood pressure. i am a walking disaster.
i don't know where to start, i find i always start off great and really motivated. like so good dr phil would ask me to write books about it but then by week 3 (if even) i just go off the rails and pile on any little i had lost.
it is just so disheartening :(

so here i am now, ready to start again. another monday has rolled around...

please, anyone out there who understands what im on about ...add me! i need support and inspiration, reading through ur success stories is a huge help too.

feel free to add me!! thanks all x

Replies

• CamWiltsey
    CamWiltsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Purchase, read, study and live the book "The China Study", it helped me drop 95 pounds!!
    You can actually reverse type 2 diabetes with diet alone, you just need to be willing to do whatever it takes. Trust me, it's worth it! I was on medication for cholesterol, blood pressure, anxiety and depression - then all I did was change the way I ate (then slowly after I started getting the weight off) I then started the excercose routines.

Eat plant based. Go for walks everyday. Watch the weight fall off. I guarantee it if you follow a whole foods, plant based diet.

Best of luck!!!
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your on the right track buddy, always be ready to start again thats how its done. Ive lost weight 3x before finally letting it all go for good. So far ive lost 14kg and 3kg left. Along the road you'll fall, may have a few cheat meals here and there, then be completely unmotivated for a while, but the key is to keep going. Never depend on being in the right mood or time because its always temporary like pain. My uncle whom also joined me is also on his own weightloss journey from 350lbs and has lost alot of weight an counting. You can do this its definitly attainable, just dont give up and you'll succeed ;)
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Check out the forum posts here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    There is a ton of information here for new people. Short version: Use the app as intended, log faithfully, calories in must be less than calories out, eat as much home prepared food (not from boxes) as possible, and get some exercise (for your health - it's not a huge weight loss help). Good luck.
  • EllieThomas404
    EllieThomas404 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have 95lbs to go. if you got to cheat make it a meal and just ignore it and accept that you're gonna have to work harder the next day
  • StaPositv
    StaPositv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Large weight loss is tough on your own. I didn't start with quite 100 pounds to lose, but close. I had never been as heavy as I was when I started this weight loss journey. My health and a bout of depression really kicked my butt last year, leaving me with almost 70 pounds to lose. Now I am 30 pound down, and just set up my profile here.

One thing I had to do was be honest about my weight gain, and what personal obstacles I had / have. Whenever I am struggling, I have to address these obstacles or new ones I create. It has taken and will take more hard work and will likely result in more tears.

I do agree with CamWiltsey - start with your diet first with walking. Making smart, simple changes in your diet can result in large results. Once a week I make sure to have a 'treat' day (not a 'cheat') day. This is not a day where I forget my healthy choices, but I splurge a little by making healthy choices at my favorite sandwich shop or restaurant. After you have the diet changes down, and you can add strength training to build lean muscle; which will help your body burn fat.

So many people on this forum are willing to help, so if you stay connected you will feel their support,

Just keep pushing through and fight the urge to quit at week 3. Remember this is a life style change, and it will take time. Best wishes to you on your journey.
  • ChronoElite
    ChronoElite Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same situation 29 yrs old, diabetic type 2. Been grinding for a week and down about 8 lbs. I had a scare in hospital and it really pissed me off going through that. That is what I'm using not to repeat starting over again and again.
  • paulasymingtonmfp
    paulasymingtonmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I have 100-125 lb to loose . Last week I went to the Dr with water retention . She took my blood pressure and it was high . I started a low carb diet on Thursday knowing it's now or never . I have choose low carb as I know that I feel so much better when I'm eating low carb . I have sent you a friend request . Looking for friends that are in the same boat as myself .
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi...I've got about 100lbs to lose, and I've started and stopped so many times I've lost count. I'm hoping using the support available here will help me stay focused and motivated. I've sent a friend request and hopefully we can help each other through it. Good luck on your journey
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i was 242 lbs, had developed type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. the first thing i tried that worked was food substitutions. instead of full fat cheese, i switched to reduced fat; i switched from regular ice cream to dryer's slow churned (i use sugar free to avoid blood pressure spikes) and so on like that. it took some experimenting - i found some substitutions weren't tasty but others are great. i lost over 40 pounds with light walking and food substitutions alone.

and if you track your calories for a while, you'll know how much to cut when weight loss from substitution stops. then you cut maybe 500 calories a day - which really isn't that many - and see how it goes.

best of luck to you! we're all here if you need us :)
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I came here with 100 pounds to lose three months ago and have lost 22 pounds thus far. My changes were minimal and easy - no crazy diet plans here! Here's what I did/came to realize:

1) Stop lying - This was a big one for me. When I was on Weight Watchers I lied in my food log ALL THE TIME. I didn't eat 16 Oreos. I only had a few. I didn't eat 2 slices of cake - I ate one and it was REALLY small. Ugh. I was such a liar about my food intake! But now, I log everything I eat and don't lie about it. If I ate 5 oz, who am I helping by inputting it as 3 oz? NO ONE! I was lying just so I could see "good job!" at the end of my day. But I knew I hadn't done a good job, and it made things worse from a motivation standpoint. Currently, the only things I don't log are condiments (except butter), but everything else gets logged. In full amounts. If I use 5 TBs of butter on my baked potato, I put down 5 TBs of butter! If I eat 16 Oreos, believe me - I put down that I ate 16 Oreos!

2) Exercise is key - but start slowly. I started with walking. My first walk was 1.5 miles. After a week of doing that I went up to 2 miles, then 3 miles, then 4 miles - now my average walk is 4.5-5 miles, but I've also gone as far as 9 miles! This weekend I added weights to my routine - nothing major, but just enough to know I'm making my muscles work a bit. I've also recently started jogging for 1 minute intervals during my walks. On a whim, I jogged (albeit slowly) for as long as I could take it a few weeks ago and was shocked that I was able to go 3/4 of a mile! WITHOUT STOPPING! I couldn't have done that 3 months ago.

3) Despite my comment about 16 Oreos, moderation is the other key - don't feel like you've failed if you have chocolate, or chips, or french fries, or a soda, or ice cream. Figure out how to make it work within your daily caloric amount. Then just log it and move on.

4) Don't weigh yourself every day - in the beginning that would drive you nuts. Once a week is fine. Same time of day, same day, same environment. As for me, I weigh-in on Monday mornings just before I get in the shower to get ready for work. Eventually you can consider weighing everyday just out of curiosity, but do not get fixated on the numbers reflected from day to day.

5) Understand that you will have weeks that you gain. If you are a woman, there will be times that you gain here and there. Log it and move on. Don't stress about it. Last week I gained 1.8 pounds at my weigh-in. But this week I was down 5.2 pounds because those 1.8 pounds from last week were the result of one of the worst weeks of PMS I've had in a while. So really, last week was "null" and this week I was down 3.4. Most weeks I lose 1-1.5 pounds, with occasional small gains (.5-.8) or big losses (2.5+). Many folks on here say, "weight loss is not linear," and it's true.

6) Be patient - it took you a long time to gain the weight, it'll take you a long time to lose it. The only time you can truly get upset with your progress is when you've been on a plateau for 3-4 weeks at a time. Then it's time to re-evaluate your eating choices and your exercise, and see what you can tweak.

7) Do NOT starve yourself. Don't fool yourself into thinking if you eat 1200 calories a day you'll lose the weight and be happy. Oh sure, you'll lose weight quickly - but it won't be sustainable. Maybe someday it will, but not now. So eat the amount that MFP calculates for you, and don't be tempted to eat less unless you are truly not hungry that day. For frame of reference, I still need to lose 80 pounds and MFP has me eating about 1700 calories a day for my sedentary lifestyle (desk job). Do NOT include exercise as part of your general lifestyle profile - those calories are counted separately. On days you have a lot of exercise, consider eating back only 1/2 of them. And even that is optional (for me ) if I "only" burn 300-400 calories a day via exercise. If you get to a point where you are burning 1000+ calories per exercise session, then definitely eat some back! Your body will thank you!

8) Use the forums - people here are mostly helpful and encouraging.

9) Make small goals. If you have 100 pounds to lose, just focus on the first five. Then the first ten. Then the first 20. Or 10% of your starting weight (i.e., if you weigh 270 pounds, then 27 pounds is 10%). Or make exercise goals. Walk 1 mile 3x a week. Then try 1.5 miles 3x a week. Then add more mileage, or add another day. Make small goals rather than looking at the bigger picture. When I think about that fact that I have 80 pounds to go, it can be daunting and make me think "It's never going to happen," but when I know I'm only 3 pounds away from being down 25 pounds, it's a goal I know I can reach.

10) There is no such thing as failure! Just keep on keeping on, and know that you are not in a race. There's no set deadline for getting healthy.

I wish you the best. Good luck and feel free to send me a friend request!
  • tivofanatic
    tivofanatic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am down 38.6 lbs so far and still have slightly over 100 to go. I know it seems impossible and terrifying if you think of it all at once. Just start wherever you are comfortable, like cutting down on soda if you drink it, going for some walks and cutting down on 'empty calories'. I will send you a friend request...I normally have not posted on the forums but saw the title of your post and was drawn to it. I count for EVERYTHING I put in my mouth even if it's not the healthiest choice it's the big picture that matters. Good luck you can do this, I was diagnosed as type II in 2004 and still have had my ups and downs with weight but have been able to stay off any meds. It can be done!
  • weightaminutenow
    weightaminutenow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sending you a friend request - I started with 112 lbs. to lose and have 88 to go. Your story is VERY familiar to me. What convinced me to try again was the this thought: it will likely take me at least a year to get the weight off, BUT I don't want to be sitting here a year from now, probably heavier, and thinking I wished I had started doing something about my weight a year ago! You will find a lot of support here!
  • Uphillbattle42
    Uphillbattle42 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I could have written this myself, except instead of diabetes I have high blood pressure, I'm in the exact same boat, add me!
  • WithGodICanDoThis
    WithGodICanDoThis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose and it's so hard!! I'm not diabetic yet, but I know I will be if I don't get some weight off. Some days are just harder than others. I struggle with feeling sooo hungry on certain days. Please add me! Thanks.
  • smburton86
    smburton86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a 29 year old and I weigh in at just under 360 pounds. I previously lost 80 and was down to 250 pounds but regained it all and more. I work 3 jobs and due to time and $ problems, I focus on small adjustments first.

Set smaller goals, don't think about the total. I break the ultimate goal into 10 or 20 pound increments. I also simply try taking more steps than the day before.
  • The_Changling
    The_Changling Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You already started - you are here and so am I as of today.

Baby steps - one step at a time. It doesn't matter how long it will take as long as we get there. I am going to loose the 100 lbs and so will you if your mind is made up.

• hroeffenfitness
    hroeffenfitness Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    smburton, i think those are wise words.. make micro goals try to reach those.. and don't limit yourself time wise..
  • Franacious
    Franacious Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are now. I lost 100+ pounds by eating less and moving more. When you have that much weight to lose, that's really all you have to do. Break down your long-term goal into smaller, more manageable goals. Celebrate reaching these goals (without food of course). Some days/weeks are harder than others, sometimes you'll feel overwhelmed maybe even defeated. Those are the times you need to remind yourself where you started and where you're going. You can see from the responses here, you're not alone! Keep moving forward!
  • ctraugh
    ctraugh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The trick to loosing weight is to stay in a caloric deficit. At the beginning don't worry so much about changing your foods your eating, just eat them so you stay in a caloric deficit and you will loose weight. If you start cutting our your favorite meal you are setting yourself up for failure. With the diabetes you may have to change some of the things your eating, I don't know about that and that is something you will have to discuss with your doctor. But loosing weight is as simple burning more calories than you eat. Don't waste your money on gimmick pills or fat loss crap. Count your calories and I guarantee you will loose weight. Eat at a caloric deficit and drink lots and lots of water.

Now for your high blood pressure, exercise is your friend with that one. And in my opinion the best exercise is walking. You don't need to join a gym or have fancy equipment. Just get a good pair of sneakers and go for a walk. I love walking outside. They claim at least 30 min a day, which isn't that hard, go outside walk 15 minutes in any direction and after those 15 minutes turn around and walk home. Your heart will thank you.

If you want to know more about how much your moving or not moving then invest in a fitness tracker. I have the Fitbit "one". Its small and very accurate and only costs about $99. But its not needed.

I began my fitness journey February 1st. I was 365 lbs. Today I weighed in at 331.6 lbs. It works trust me.

Feel free to friend me if you want more help.

PS: Don't do cheat days. If you want to eat extra on a certain day stay at or under your maintenance calories.
    PPS: Take what the scale says with a grain of salt. Your body can retain weight for a number of reasons. Best way to know of your making progress is to take measurements and photos of yourself at least once a month.

This is just my 2 cents, you can take it or leave it, but what I have said here is working for me.

Good luck, the grass is greener on the other side. :)
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I started the year with 155lb plus to lose. I did well in January then went up and down through February resulting in no actual weight loss in February, then I lost lots in March. I have lost 38lb this year even with the ups and downs. I have a long history of binge eating disorder. I also have bipolar and pcos. I tend to do well for 2 or 3 weeks then have a wobble. They key is getting back on track as soon as I can. Bipolar wiped out February for me but as soon as I felt able I got back to doing better. Bad days or bad weeks do not have to mean the end. Just get back to it as soon as able to and over all progress can still be made. Also I learn a little more with each wobble.