Months of Dieting and Nothing Has Changed

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Is it possible that there is a medical issue? Yes but I'm not a doctor. It is probably more likely that something is off on your logging. If I ate 1500 calories a day I wouldn't lose any weight either. I'm 5'3", lightly active and MFP has me set at 1330. I usually end up less than that.
    I was sick for about three years and dropped a lot if weight during that time but when I began improving, I began gaining weight and couldn't seem to get a handle on it. According to MyFitnessPal I should be eating 1,500 calories every day to lose 2 pounds a week and I have been doing that, I just don't always log in. Plus I burn 800-1000 calories doing high intensity workouts at least three times a week. I'm wondering if perhaps my metabolism is messed up from being sick for so long or something.

It's far more likely that the error lies in your logging. Try weighing and logging everything for a month and see what happens. If nothing changes at that point, feel free to discuss your metabolism with your doctor.

Where are you getting the numbers for your exercise burns? Often these are inflated.

Can someone post the video of the British woman who thought there was a problem with her metabolism?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    That's the one, thanks!
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that there is a medical issue? Yes but I'm not a doctor. It is probably more likely that something is off on your logging. If I ate 1500 calories a day I wouldn't lose any weight either. I'm 5'3", lightly active and MFP has me set at 1330. I usually end up less than that.
    I was sick for about three years and dropped a lot if weight during that time but when I began improving, I began gaining weight and couldn't seem to get a handle on it. According to MyFitnessPal I should be eating 1,500 calories every day to lose 2 pounds a week and I have been doing that, I just don't always log in. Plus I burn 800-1000 calories doing high intensity workouts at least three times a week. I'm wondering if perhaps my metabolism is messed up from being sick for so long or something.

How did you get a TDEE of 2500? That seems somewhat high. Which setting did you select?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Did you close your diary because people are calling you out on it? Because you asked for help and they are being honest. For most people not logging faithfully is the biggest issue.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Your logging is inconsistent and inaccurate. Start there because you're eating more than you think.

I also question these high intensity workouts you're doing. 800-1000 calorie burns are hard to achieve. How long are you doing these 3x a week workouts? What are you doing? How are you calculating these burns? Chances are you're really not burning that... more than likely it's half that.
    I do rigorous rollerblading for at least an hour but I usually go up to an hour and a half then I do 20-30 minutes of kickboxing

Those burns might be a little inflated but for 90-12o minutes of activity it could be close depending upon level of exertion. OP really your problem is the consistency in tracking your intake.

I feel your pain because those 4 or 5 days where you're doing everything right takes focus, concentration and effort and it is very discouraging to not be rewarded for that effort. Most of us have been there I know i have but unfortunately this weight loss game takes 7 days a week so I think your first step is faithfully logging. Even if that includes an extravagant night out log it all. It can be eye opening and is often a first step in changing some bad eating habits.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Your logging is inconsistent and inaccurate. Start there because you're eating more than you think.

I also question these high intensity workouts you're doing. 800-1000 calorie burns are hard to achieve. How long are you doing these 3x a week workouts? What are you doing? How are you calculating these burns? Chances are you're really not burning that... more than likely it's half that.
    I do rigorous rollerblading for at least an hour but I usually go up to an hour and a half then I do 20-30 minutes of kickboxing

You really need to listen to the solid advice people are giving you. Right now you are in denial, once you are willing to see what everyone saying is right and implementing it, you will start losing weight.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Weight, height, daily activity level (without exercise)?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP its tough! Give it two whole weeks of logging perfectly then see what happens.
    It took me 60 odd days for my body to let go of the 1 to 2 pounds of fat I was trying to lose. It's horribly frustrating but this game is only for the committed!
    It gets easier, I promise, and the logging gets faster and more efficient.
    I would maybe put down a few less calories burnt while exercising as well, just for a buffer.

personally, even though I train for triathlon, I actually find the whole fat loss thing easier just walking a bit, some weight training, yoga, low exercise burns and low calories (about 200 under TDEE) because my appetite is less like a raging beast!

Something about high intensity exercise makes me stupidly hungry and the whole shebang harder to control and track.

Saying that, I need to exercise an hour a day to have a remotely normal diet, with all the things I like and the volume I like, but this is more for maintenance.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Don't ask for help if you don't want help.

It's not your metabolism.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP its tough! Give it two whole weeks of logging perfectly then see what happens.
    It took me 60 odd days for my body to let go of the 1 to 2 pounds of fat I was trying to lose. It's horribly frustrating but this game is only for the committed!
    I would maybe put down a few less calories burnt while exercising as well, just for a buffer.

personally, even though I train for triathlon, I actually find the whole thing easier just walking a bit, some weight training, yoga, low exercise burns and low calories (about 200 under TDEE).
    Something about high intensity exercise makes me stupidly hungry and the whole shebang harder to control and track.

Saying that, I need to exercise an hour a day to have a remotely normal diet, with all the things I like and the volume I like, but this is more for maintenance.

Interesting you posted the bolded as recently I have been unable to exercise due to injury and I found it was remarkable even though I had to eat 500-1000 less per day it was easier and thought about food less than when I was highly active.
  • farmergurl98
    farmergurl98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

personally, even though I train for triathlon, I actually find the whole fat loss thing easier just walking a bit, some weight training, yoga, low exercise burns and low calories (about 200 under TDEE) because my appetite is less like a raging beast!

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't realize that I needed to weigh rather than go by serving sizes and that certainly changes things. I will work towards logging everything. I haven't been logging the weekends because my mom told me to take those days off (obviously I don't go crazy I simply don't log). I've recently moved from a farm to the city so it's been a problem trying to find ways to make up the calorie burning I would normally get doing farm work. And as for those that think the workout calories are off, you may be right. I thought they were to high as well, but I looked it up on other sources and they matched. That being said it could still be off. Thanks for all your help guys, I really have no idea what I'm doing so I appreciate it
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't realize that I needed to weigh rather than go by serving sizes and that certainly changes things. I will work towards logging everything. I haven't been logging the weekends because my mom told me to take those days off (obviously I don't go crazy I simply don't log). I've recently moved from a farm to the city so it's been a problem trying to find ways to make up the calorie burning I would normally get doing farm work. And as for those that think the workout calories are off, you may be right. I thought they were to high as well, but I looked it up on other sources and they matched. That being said it could still be off. Thanks for all your help guys, I really have no idea what I'm doing so I appreciate it

For most of us, successful weight loss will require consistency. That means not taking weekends off. That doesn't mean that you can't sometimes go over your goal (I certainly did when I was losing weight). But I found that I did much better when I was logging every day so at least I understood how much I was going over.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

For most of us, successful weight loss will require consistency. That means not taking weekends off. That doesn't mean that you can't sometimes go over your goal (I certainly did when I was losing weight). But I found that I did much better when I was logging every day so at least I understood how much I was going over.

Logging when you go over is surprisingly comforting when you put it in the context of your maintenance number and how many calories is a pound....when in reality even if you eat 4000 calories a day you've gained maybe half a pound which isn't so scary!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »

Logging when you go over is surprisingly comforting when you put it in the context of your maintenance number and how many calories is a pound....when in reality even if you eat 4000 calories a day you've gained maybe half a pound which isn't so scary!

Yeah, I had an insane day recently and went 1,300 over my goal. I was feeling weird and then I remembered what that was in relation to a pound. It made me feel a lot more in control and made it much easier to get back on track.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    According to MyFitnessPal I should be eating 1,500 calories every day to lose 2 pounds a week and I have been doing that, I just don't always log in. Plus I burn 800-1000 calories doing high intensity workouts at least three times a week [yet haven't lost weight].

This is literally physically impossible. You might as well be claiming that you can walk through walls. You *must* be either inaccurately logging your food, exercise, and/or caloric needs. There is no other option. One of the most fundamental laws of physics is that energy cannot be created or destroyed, so by saying that you are at a deficit of more than 1,000 calories a day for 6 months (in addition to 3,000+ burned calories from exercise) and still haven't lost any weight, you are saying that your body defies the laws of physics and either moves without expending energy, or creates energy from nothing. Neither one is physically possible.
    I'm wondering if perhaps my metabolism is messed up from being sick for so long or something.

At *most,* metabolisms vary by a couple hundred calories per day. Nobody's metabolism will be so fast or so slow that they will have a difference of thousands of calories from an average person's in a given day.

I am guessing that you are doing a combination of inaccurate food logging, and overestimating your activity level. Get a food scale (don't just eyeball measurements), and set your app so that it doesn't change your calorie goal for the day once you input exercise (do this so that you don't "eat back" the calories you burned during exercise). Do that for a month, then see what your results are like.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

At *most,* metabolisms vary by a couple hundred calories per day. Nobody's metabolism will be so fast or so slow that they will have a difference of thousands of calories from an average person's in a given day.[/quote]

This.
    Even if a person has a "slow" metabolism, it's just slower than "average". That doesn't make it irrelevant or make you a special snowflake where calories in/out doesn't apply.
    If this were true, (and you are logging accurately and faithfully and still not losing weight) perhaps you need to lower your daily calories.
    But in this case I don't think that is the problem.
    Log accurately and consistently for a few weeks, and if that doesn't work, maybe go to 1400.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Can you tell a difference in how your clothing fits?

Is it possible you are eating too much at 1500 per day?

Do you always eat your calories back that are lost through exercise?

Are you weighing and measuring your foods to make sure just how much you are eating?

It could be many things but hard to know without knowing more information. And as far as how many calories this site "says" you are burning based on your workouts, I'd likely deduct some from what they give you. They tend to be very gracious on calories lost on this site. So if you eat all your exercise calories that they "say" you are losing then you may be overeating. And like others have said, be sure to log all the food you eat. Every BLT (bite, lick and taste).
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

Same here! Except I'm 4'11" and get only 1200 cals per day. I also weigh and measure every single food I eat.
  • jorae08
    jorae08 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've never seen that video before, and it is awesome!
    I usually pre-track my meals, as i make my breakfast and lunch the night before work and on weekend i have such a hard time remembering what i've eaten afterwards. i find that pretracking is super beneficial for me. Then if it is dinner time I usually know an approximately how many calories i have left.
    I also find I am not as hungry/bored eating when i pretrack.

Tracking EVERY bite really does help.