Do you take your scale with you?

Options
I am invited to dinner at a friend's house next week. It's a sit down affair and I am embarrassed to take my scale with me. Do you all take your scale with you when you go out to dinner or at restaurants? I've only been logging my food intake for the past 2 weeks and it's been going great.

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would not. I would just eat what you already know are reasonable portions and estimate a little on the higher side when you log. I haven't used a scale because I don't have access to one where I am and I believe you can still make it work especially for a special dinner.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I would not take it with me to a restaurant or a friend's formal dinner, no. I am packing it with me for use at the hotel or at the in-laws house when I go on vacation next month though.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I would not take it with me to a restaurant or a friend's formal dinner, no. I am packing it with me for use at the hotel or at the in-laws house when I go on vacation next month though.

+1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, that's a bit over the top.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i dont use a scale when i go out but i do use it at home. you eye the correct portions. dont eat seconds and dont stuff yourself or feel like you have to eat everything you put on the plate. i wouldn't take the scale. you can always look up the calories on calorieking.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you're accurately logging most of the time, those few instances where you can't it won't be an issue. Enjoy your dinner.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. This is a lifetime change. I will occasionally be in situations where I won't have my tools so I do the best I can. Or I indulge. One day isn't going to do me in.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No. If I go out to eat at a friends, family, or restaurant I guestimate. If I know in advance, I might make my deficit 50-100 calories bigger a day or two before hand to help. I mostly try not to stress it. As long as it doesn't happen multiple times a week, I'm usually good.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't at a restaurant. I guesstimate to the best of my ability.

When I visit my family, which is generally a week long visit, I do take my scale with me.
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    no...I just kind of guess
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Haha, I thought about doing this too! I was even looking for a mini one to stick in my purse. ;P I can make a guess, sure. A big guess. C'mon, I've been eating like crud for 20 years! I eat what my eye hungers for! ...butnocurrentlyidont
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    That's too over the top.

I don't even use the scale at my home when there are guests over. Just give yourself a break and eat sensibly.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have no shame. And yes, I've been told doing so means I have disordered eating.

You don't have to. If you're comfortable whipping it out at the dinner table, do it, otherwise don't. For me, a food scale is a priority tool that helped me lose my weight.
  • BellaNor
    BellaNor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My scale has really helped in the last 2 weeks and I have lost a couple of pounds per week, thanks to very precise measurements on the scale. I will have to eyeball my portions at dinner and ask the hostess what the dishes are called so I can use MFP to find out the calorie content afterwards. Thanks for your input, all!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Heck no.

Start paying attention to how big (as in physical size) your servings of food are after you weigh them. You should be able to learn approximately how big your typical serving size of various foods are, whether they are 100 g or 3 oz. or some other weight. Weighing food is great, awesome, A1. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't learn how to visually estimate portions.

Also, google "serving size chart" and look at the image results for various visual cues.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If it's a friend, why not just ask in advance what is being served so that you can plan ahead? You can even explain why you're asking, and I am sure a true friend would want to be helpful and understanding. I would definitely NOT bring the scale with you. Good gravy.
  • Sindakhelekwen
    Sindakhelekwen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use mine at home but I don't take it with me restaurants or when I go to my families houses for special occasions.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The title made me think the scale I weigh myself with, I chuckled, then read the rest. If I were going to away from home for a few days I might.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    No. If I am eating at a restaurant I will use the nutrition info from their website if it is available. If not I will use info from a similar chain restaurant and guess to the best of my ability. If I am going to someone's house to eat I just guess to the best of my ability. I only use the food scale at home. One or two dinners out every now and then is not going to derail you especially if you are conscious about eating a moderate portion.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If someone turned up at my house for dinner and started weighing out the food I had spent hours preparing for them, they would not be invited back again.