Am I the only one that doesn't log exercise/activity routines?

Options

Replies

• dickie150692
    dickie150692 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, losing weight at such an unhealthy rate is not something to brag about.

Good luck building back the muscle mass you've lost along the way though.

Nobody asked if I were bragging. I don't think it's healthy that's why I were asking in the first place. This is like the 4th time I've ever dieted but I don't remember it ever coming off that fast. Maybe I need to set my profile to "active" maybe? It used to be like 7lbs first week then started slowing down over time.

To be honest it's started to slow right down now to about 3lbs a week.

I started at 18st, but I'm now currently 15st 7lbs. I started at the start of February.

Thank you for the feedback. :)

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    NadiaMayl wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For how long have you been losing 3-5lbs a week? It's not unusual to lose that much the first week or two, but if you are still losing that much you should eat more, cuz you're losing more than fat - you're losing the hard-to-replace lean muscle mass as well.

If you'd rather use the TDEE method to determine your calories, say so and someone will be along to post a link for that calculator.

What's TDEE???

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - or maintenance. Because this is maintenance it includes exercise up front. TDEE less a % users don't log exercise in MFP, because it's already accounted for.

If you know you WILL exercise, if you like eating the same calories day in and day out, then TDEE less a percent makes good sense.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What i do is a double check up . After logging excercise i go online and look for calculators and put my height weight and anything they ask me and then i check if it compares and I see what's the common number it comes out and adjust. Today i did 55 min zumba at medium high intensity and one gave me 384 cal burned another 564? So went online and checked different ones and the no. was on the 500 cal burned. With jogging too i give weight height minutes distance pace and calculate. I hope i can get as close as I can but still have my doubts.
  • wsrep
    wsrep Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Never logged my exercise. I just log my food accurately and lost 80 lbs in a year.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I log my exercises.

While I don't eat back exercise calories, I like to be able to see a trend. How many days did I work out this week? Was a slacking last week? Also, exercise notes! I record my max weights on different equipment, and anything I found really challenging. This is a great way for me to look back and see progress on those days when I feel like I'm making zero progress.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I don't get very specific. If I do 10 minutes of rowing for a warm up, 20 minutes of leg-centered weight-lifting, and then a 45 minute HIIT jog, I just select "jogging" in MFP and group all calories burned under that one entry. I don't have the time or interest to get very specific. (I wear a heart rate monitor to get my calorie estimate.)
    hear rate monitors are only mostly accurate(they are still an estimation) for steady state cardio such as running/jogging,bicycling,etc. they wont be accurate for weight lifting,walking,etc
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Factor in how you feel, too. You feel energetic enough? could be your calories are a tad too low. What are you doing at the gym? lifting weights or cardio? Maybe both? I would bump it to active or give yourself a few more calories. (You've done quite well with your loss up to now, unsure how much more you are going for or what your height is.)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you the only one, no. Is that how the tool is supposed to work, yes.

If you've "slowed down" to 3lbs per week, you should probably be eating at least some of those exercise calories back. Like noted above, if your deficit is too steep you will be sacrificing a lot in muscle, not just fat.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I log cardio and eat back those calories (for some activities like running I lower what MFP says they burned). I don't log weight lifting/circuit training.
  • dickie150692
    Options
    Factor in how you feel, too. You feel energetic enough? could be your calories are a tad too low. What are you doing at the gym? lifting weights or cardio? Maybe both? I would bump it to active or give yourself a few more calories. (You've done quite well with your loss up to now, unsure how much more you are going for or what your height is.)

I don't feel too bad! I'm weak on the weights, and can't do much after all the cardio. But cardio wise I do.

20min cross trainer 1 - 200cal
    10min bike - 100cal
    10min stepper - 100cal
    30min treadmill - 300cal
    10min cross trainer 2 - 100cal on average, last machine.

Only a rough estimate, and my weights vary.

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The number of calories you burn on those machines is going to really depend on how hard you're working. I see people every day at the gym who put so little effort into those machines they never sweat a drop or even breathe heavier... I doubt they burn anywhere near the calories you're estimating. The ones who work like their life depends on it burn a little more than you're estimating.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise very often but my "workouts" are not your typical day at the gym. I get most of my exercise from just every day life and use my Fitbit to track calorie expenditures.
  • dickie150692
    Options
    The number of calories you burn on those machines is going to really depend on how hard you're working. I see people every day at the gym who put so little effort into those machines they never sweat a drop or even breathe heavier... I doubt they burn anywhere near the calories you're estimating. The ones who work like their life depends on it burn a little more than you're estimating.

Yeah I agree with you. I only use the calories as a guide when I'm working out though. My HR tends to fly between 130-170 most of the time to. But the bike and the stepper is usually when I break a sweat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Unless you are following the TDEE method, you should be eating back at least some of your exercise calories depending on how accurate all the numbers are. If you don't want to log them, look into the TDEE method that was posted above.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I TDEE, so I don't log exercise.
  • dickie150692
    Options
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

^^^ Is this the calculator what everybody keeps talking about? ^^^

I just tested it out and it's told me my maintenance calories are
    2,946 but are having 1,800 from MFP. I'm 5ft 10" by the way at 15st 7lbs.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't log them, as I don't plan to eat excercise calories back and I find frustrating how innacurate MFP is with calories burned.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    As a rough rule of thumb, you probably don't want to be losing more than about 1% of your body weight weekly, if your objective is to lose weight in a healthy way, and stay strong. (And granny sez: That should be your objective.) You can probably ignore the 1st week in thinking about that, because most people see a bigger water-weight drop right at first.

So, yes, seems like a good idea to eat more, and reduce your loss rate. You could:
    • change your activity level in MFP to "active", and see how that goes, or
    • stay at your current MFP activity level, but log your exercise and eat at least 50% of it back (increasing that if you still lose too fast), or
    • figure your TDEE and cut maybe 20% off that as a goal, or
    • figure your TDEE and cut 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week, or 1000 to lose two pounds a week for a while (remember the 1% idea).

Whatever course you choose, watch your actual loss rate, and adjust eating to keep it healthy. You want to stay strong, I'm sure!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

^^^ Is this the calculator what everybody keeps talking about? ^^^

I just tested it out and it's told me my maintenance calories are
    2,946 but are having 1,800 from MFP. I'm 5ft 10" by the way at 15st 7lbs.

MFP uses the NEAT method and you are supposed to eat back your calories. TDEE has your exercise figured in so the number is higher. Eat around 2400 for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • dickie150692
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your feedback.

I've decided after today I think I'm going to change my MFP settings from "lightly active" to "Active" because I don't just do the gym 5days a week, I'm a Packer/Industrial Cleaner working 4 nights a week also, working approximately 27hrs on my feet non stop.

Would you guys agree?