Ideal Protein Shake?

Options
Hey everyone, so I'm trying to lose a lot of fat. Recently, one of my friends suggested I use an "Ideal Protein Shake" as a sort of meal replacement for breakfast, and use it as a lunch with a salad. Is this good for fat loss? It seems as thouhh the diet he set up for me is very very low calorie, almost too low (1300)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is good for fat loss, is an appropriate calorie deficit. Have you set up MFP to calculate your calorie goal? Eat that, and log all your food, every day. No need to replace meals, unless you hate food, of course, but if so, I don't understand how you have ended up wanting to lose weight ;)
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think shakes can be part of a healthy diet, but as a meal replacement you want to make sure it can get you by for several hours until your next meal. For some, a simple protein shake will do that. For me, I like to 'fatten' my shakes up with coconut flakes, chia seeds, and an ounce or two of cream. Many will add MCT or coconut oil to their shakes for similar reasons. On the flip side, if you are aiming for a calorie deficit, you will have to factor in the added calories. Satiation and hunger control goes a long way to achieving a weight loss goal, and eating fat does help with fat metabolism, so I personally make it work on those days I have a shake. I prefer real food though, and eating in a way that is life-long and not short-term. Part of losing a lot of weight is re-learning how to eat, and a shake diet really doesn't teach much about balanced nutrition.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    tw807278 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, so I'm trying to lose a lot of fat. Recently, one of my friends suggested I use an "Ideal Protein Shake" as a sort of meal replacement for breakfast, and use it as a lunch with a salad. Is this good for fat loss? It seems as thouhh the diet he set up for me is very very low calorie, almost too low (1300)

1300 calories??? How tall/weight? I can't imagine that even being enough calories for your basic needs.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »

1300 calories??? How tall/weight? I can't imagine that even being enough calories for your basic needs.

I'm 6'3 212. It seems like it's a very extreme diet, but I'm trying my hardest to lose as much fat as I can. I want to lose as much fat as possible in the next 2 months, and it seems the gradual approach won't get me where I want.
  • KarlynKeto
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm 6'3 212. It seems like it's a very extreme diet, but I'm trying my hardest to lose as much fat as I can. I want to lose as much fat as possible in the next 2 months, and it seems the gradual approach won't get me where I want.

6'3' 212 pounds isn't particular that over weight, and for many it could be a perfect weight. I'd be concerned that a low cal plan would burn more muscle than fat. Are you working on building muscle too? If you are trying to 'cut', you may want to read up on intermittent fasting (16:8 is popular, I do it and think it works really well), and/or a low-carb/keto diet. They are both popular methods for those who don't have a lot of fat to lose but want to get lean quick. (they are also popular with those of us who had over 100 pounds to lose too!) The theory is these plans focus on optimizing fat burning while reducing sugar burning and maintaining muscle mass. (Warning: not everyone on this board agrees with the low carb eating options and will become very vocal and offended if you even imply you wont eat pasta or potatoes for a few weeks/months, but try to make your own decisions. As with everything, what works for one never works for all.)
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

6'3' 212 pounds isn't particular that over weight, and for many it could be a perfect weight. I'd be concerned that a low cal plan would burn more muscle than fat. Are you working on building muscle too? If you are trying to 'cut', you may want to read up on intermittent fasting (16:8 is popular, I do it and think it works really well), and/or a low-carb/keto diet. They are both popular methods for those who don't have a lot of fat to lose but want to get lean quick. (they are also popular with those of us who had over 100 pounds to lose too!) The theory is these plans focus on optimizing fat burning while reducing sugar burning and maintaining muscle mass. (Warning: not everyone on this board agrees with the low carb eating options and will become very vocal and offended if you even imply you wont eat pasta or potatoes for a few weeks/months, but try to make your own decisions. As with everything, what works for one never works for all.)

Unfortunately I am overweight because my body fat percentage is somewhere between the 18-20 range. Personally, I lift to maintain my muscle, not to build it. My goal is to lose as much fat at whatever costs, and then learn how to take care of my body and build muscle. I've been overweight my whole life, and the loss of muscle along with fat doesn't effect me that much. I am currently going under 20G carbs, and I don't eat sugar. Strictly proteins, and water and veggies.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I am overweight because my body fat percentage is somewhere between the 18-20 range. Personally, I lift to maintain my muscle, not to build it. My goal is to lose as much fat at whatever costs, and then learn how to take care of my body and build muscle. I've been overweight my whole life, and the loss of muscle along with fat doesn't effect me that much. I am currently going under 20G carbs, and I don't eat sugar. Strictly proteins, and water and veggies.

You have the wrong attitude, and people approaching fat loss like this will often gain whatever weight they lose back. Your muscle is of utmost importance. Burning muscle along with fat is the worst mistake you can make.

Don't listen to friends. Calculate your TDEE properly, then take off a maximum of 30% of that for your deficit.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options

Are you not eating fats? Fats are essential for a reason, don't skip them. They do help with metabolism. The problem with a lot of the low calorie diets is they can cause the body's metabolism to slow down, making losing weight a bit harder.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Fast for "weight" loss

Gradual for fat loss.

1300 calories for a 6'+ tall male is crazy low. Lots of protein or no....it's still not nearly enough calories overall. Loss of muscle effects what the end result looks like. Google skinny-fat.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

You have the wrong attitude, and people approaching fat loss like this will often gain whatever weight they lose back. Your muscle is of utmost importance. Burning muscle along with fat is the worst mistake you can make.

Don't listen to friends. Calculate your TDEE properly, then take off a maximum of 30% of that for your deficit.

Will I lose a lot of muscle though? I lift weights 5 days a week, and I feel as if my body would take the calories from the fat and not my muscles because I have such a large amount of fat. Of course I'm no scientist so I could be wrong, so correct me and give me any tips. I'm all ears, just looking to improve!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    That deficit is way too low. I haven't done the math, but a calorie total in the low 2,000's will give you weight loss at a reasonable and healthy clip.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

o

An extreme approach is guaranteed to not get you where you want. I'm sorry, it's not you, it's maths. You are only slightly overweight. Fat loss will be slow at this stage. As a rule of thumb, you can safely lose up to 1% of your body weight per week - 962 grams per week, which equates to a daily calorie deficit of 962. Use http://www.muscleforlife.com/macronutrient-calculator/ I am estimating your TDEE very roughly to 2600 calories - 1300 would be cutting your intake in half. 1500 is the lowest "MFP allowed" goal for men. You are a tall guy. And young. This means your need will be higher.

To sum this up - in two months you would be able to lose 18.5 pounds while eating real food. Does that sound allright?
  • eeejer
    Options

Will I lose a lot of muscle though? I lift weights 5 days a week, and I feel as if my body would take the calories from the fat and not my muscles because I have such a large amount of fat. Of course I'm no scientist so I could be wrong, so correct me and give me any tips. I'm all ears, just looking to improve!

yes you will. Do what I said an make sure to eat lots of protein (like in the neighbourhood of 200g per day). You will lose fat and actually look good and be healthy rather than being weak and sick.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

o

An extreme approach is guaranteed to not get you where you want. I'm sorry, it's not you, it's maths. You are only slightly overweight. Fat loss will be slow at this stage. As a rule of thumb, you can safely lose up to 1% of your body weight per week - 962 grams per week, which equates to a daily calorie deficit of 962. Use http://www.muscleforlife.com/macronutrient-calculator/ I am estimating your TDEE very roughly to 2600 calories - 1300 would be cutting your intake in half. 1500 is the lowest "MFP allowed" goal for men. You are a tall guy. And young. This means your need will be higher.

To sum this up - in two months you would be able to lose 18.5 pounds while eating real food. Does that sound allright?

That sounds amazing haha. Of course my ultimate goal is to achieve a toned stomach with a 6 pack, aiming that for sometime in December. I appreciate all of the help and support, it really means a lot!!
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

yes you will. Do what I said an make sure to eat lots of protein (like in the neighbourhood of 200g per day). You will lose fat and actually look good and be healthy rather than being weak and sick.

I appreciate it sir!! My TDEE is calculated between 2600-2700. What would you recommend I eat for calories to achieve 2LBS fat loss per week?
  • eeejer
    Options

I appreciate it sir!! My TDEE is calculated between 2600-2700. What would you recommend I eat for calories to achieve 2LBS fat loss per week?

2lbs per week is the upper limit of what you should try to lose at your body fat %.

You would need a 7000 calorie deficit per week. 1000 per day. The problem is this drops you too low, so you should eat at maybe 750 under per day (ie 2050) then add enough cardio to burn an extra 500-600 per workout, 3x a week. HIIT is usually suggested for lifters. You should do this for at least 3 weeks, and then measure your loss and adjust calories or exercise to match your data and goals.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

2lbs per week is the upper limit of what you should try to lose at your body fat %.

You would need a 7000 calorie deficit per week. 1000 per day. The problem is this drops you too low, so you should eat at maybe 750 under per day (ie 2050) then add enough cardio to burn an extra 500-600 per workout, 3x a week. HIIT is usually suggested for lifters. You should do this for at least 3 weeks, and then measure your loss and adjust calories or exercise to match your data and goals.

Awesome. Thank you so much. I'll update you in a few weeks and let you know how it's going! Thank you all for your help!!
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose as much fat at whatever costs

Some of the costs of losing weight too quickly can include hair loss, irregular heart rhythms, gall bladder attacks, etc...
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »

Some of the costs of losing weight too quickly can include hair loss, irregular heart rhythms, gall bladder attacks, etc...

Not to mention feeling "Hangry" all the time.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »

Not to mention feeling "Hangry" all the time.

Let me know what you all think.
    I exercise 5 days a week combining both cardio and weight training. My diet consists of under 20G carbs, with lean meats (chicken, turkey) tuna, and veggies such as spinach and broccoli. I know I must include more sources of fat, so I would love some recommendations. I'm going to keep my calorie intake about 750 calories less than my TDEE. Should my result be fat loss with this plan?
    Note: I don't eat sugars, and only drink water and green tea. Thanks!