Waking in the middle of the night to eat - help????

Options
2»

Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Don't have convenience foods in the house. You may wake up to eat, but I doubt you would wake up to cook then eat.
  • kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Have you googled Night Eating Syndrome?

Yes, I just looked at that today. It sounds very much like what is going on. However, Dr. Google can be so dramatic and wrong at times, know what I mean? I'll bring this up at my appointment next week.

If I am not consciously trying to eat correctly, however, I do know that I consume the vast majority of my calories in the hours after I get home from work, in the evening, and in the middle of the night. On most days, the thought of eating breakfast when I first wake up disgusts me.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Don't have convenience foods in the house. You may wake up to eat, but I doubt you would wake up to cook then eat.

This is true, but I do not consider things like bread, cottage cheese, and the like convenience foods.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have you posted a giant STOP on the fridge as a reminder? That might work. I knew a fellow who did the same thing, but that was years ago and unfortunately I don't recall how he stopped. And he did proceed to lose quite a bit weight. Granted what you're eating isn't unhealthy, but your metabolism is in "sleep", "rest" mode and I would think almost impossible to burn off any of the calories you're consuming. Good luck - I hope you find your answer!
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to be repulsed by the idea of having breakfast too. I basically forced myself to eat something small and to drink a small amount of warm tea and eventually I was able to eat breakfast. Good luck! I hope you find some answers.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    I used to be repulsed by the idea of having breakfast too. I basically forced myself to eat something small and to drink a small amount of warm tea and eventually I was able to eat breakfast. Good luck! I hope you find some answers.

Ugh, it's bad!!! Usually I end up eating right after I get to work, I am usually a little hungry by then, and if I'm not hungry food at least doesn't sound bad by then. I get to work around 8.
  • kirdyq
    Options
    Ribena145 wrote: »
    Have you posted a giant STOP on the fridge as a reminder? That might work. I knew a fellow who did the same thing, but that was years ago and unfortunately I don't recall how he stopped. And he did proceed to lose quite a bit weight. Granted what you're eating isn't unhealthy, but your metabolism is in "sleep", "rest" mode and I would think almost impossible to burn off any of the calories you're consuming. Good luck - I hope you find your answer!

I should try that. Or blow up one of my "before" pictures that I have had no luck in making look better since I'm not losing anything! A giant picture of my muffin top - you'd that that would be enough to give me pause...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I know you don't see cottage cheese as a convenience food...but it sounds like for you, it is. I am not a snacker so things I can "snack" on don't live in my house. I will never be able to have just one of anything, I will binge eat all of it. To me, cottage cheese is no different than a bag of chips.

Could you plan your calories around this, and plan what you are going to eat every night instead of panicking that this is "wrong" and then feeling guilty when you wake up?

Also I don't bother with breakfast. It's not a universality that everyone need consume it. I save calories for the evening so I can have a big meal before bedtime, that is what works for me.