Water intake and weight loss

Options
How important is water intake for weight loss?

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Not at all. It just helps to keep your digestion going properly and makes you be able to differentiate between being hungry and being thirsty. They sometimes feel the same
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not everything is about weight loss...staying hydrated is healthy, good livin'. Water is pretty much irrelevant to weight loss.
  • omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is key to weight loss. But keeping yourself hydrated just like the other 2 said is important for good overall health. But I do feel that drinking enough water will help prevent the urge to "drink your calories" such as juice or pop...
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like to stay hydrated.
    I drink from 6-9 cups of water a day or more if I'm thirsty, keeps my skin feeling fresh.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I like to drink a full 16 oz glass 1/2 before dinner. I think it actually makes me eat less.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    How important is water intake for weight loss?

Drinking plenty of water may decrease appetite but it also keeps you hydrated. It does nothing to speed up metabolic rate despite what anyone tells you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not really a factor in weight loss for calorie counters.

If you weren't counting calories and it altered your calorie intake through making different drink choices then yes it could make a difference.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I find that being mindful about drinking adequate water helps me be mindful of other choices. For me drinking plenty and eating on plan go hand in hand, complimentary habits. If I drank enough I likely ate on plan too.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon of water a day. I feel great drinking this amount. I don't do it for weight reasons, but I have lost a little over 56 lbs.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great reasons to drink water. Weight loss isn't one of them. Drink water anyway.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Water for weight loss is way over rated. If you need something to do with your hands get a water bottle and squeeze the water out to drink it. If you like going to the bathroom, drink a gallon of water a day. If you like people asking you what to drink if you give up diet soda, drink water and tell them "I drink water".

Water is vitally important for life, not so essential for weight loss.
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I work in the health care field and I see tons of patients that tell me they don't ever drink water. It's soda all day long. It's crazy. They have a ton of health problems and I believe most are from soda and little to no water alone. I understand that water is vitally important. I was just wondering how it actually aided in weight loss. It is a suppressant for me but I have to drink a lot. I did do a water challenge and I felt it was unsustainable. I was running to the bathroom every 20 minutes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    . I was running to the bathroom every 20 minutes.

Haha that's a normal day for me. I drink around 8 cups of tea plus 2-3L of water everyday.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can't believe everyone's reply says not necessary...must just be my body but I swear I could eat the saaaaaame thing for 3 weeks and drink no water and lose nothing, but if I have my 2 bottles at each meal, the weight comes off?? Who knows! I guess I just stick to what works for me! And gosh I really do just enjoy a good frequent pee .
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I can't believe everyone's reply says not necessary...must just be my body but I swear I could eat the saaaaaame thing for 3 weeks and drink no water and lose nothing, but if I have my 2 bottles at each meal, the weight comes off?? Who knows! I guess I just stick to what works for me! And gosh I really do just enjoy a good frequent pee .

Drinking water actually helps your body to not retain water which will show on the scale.
    We are talking about fat loss. It doesn't affect that.

• mmclure317
    mmclure317 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Half your body weight in ouncesrh9qu43d1h6q.jpeg