Newbie~

Options
Hello everyone. I probably should write most of what I'm about to write in my profile, but what the heck- I'll start out here.

For my whole life, I've been a bit bigger than other kids, and with that, comes people staring at me, making fun of me, and just putting me down. Honestly, when it happened, it didn't bother me- I was how I was. I've never been one to really pig out on things or go nuts for cookies and such. I actually really enjoy salads, fruits, and broccoli is amazing. But with a mostly over-sized family, it seems my fate was set in stone the day I was born.

It wasn't until recently that I decided I would change all this. I struggle with depression almost every day of my life, and some days its so bad, I don't even both getting up. I don't pig out on comfort food or any of that, I'm just sort of here, on the computer.

What made me change my mind was a game a friend and I often play together- Dance Dance Revolution. It seems silly to me that a video game pushed me in the direction of wanting to shed this fat-suit, but if you've ever played this game, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

We would play for fun, of course, and for a while we didn't even use to dancing mat for the game. I finally decided to get one, and though I'm not the best, it feels good to do things like this- To put a bit of strain on muscles that have seemingly been collecting dust; To pant and sweat and flop down onto my couch after a while; To get those nasty names out of my head.

So here I am, on my first real, true-blue, mission of losing weight and, hopefully, becoming happier in my own skin. I hope with the help of this community, and the nifty little app I downloaded on my phone, I can achieve a healthier way.

Wish me the luck that I wish to each and everyone of you. :)

Replies

• jenbobbs
    jenbobbs Posts: 1
    Options
    Good luck! Thats an inspirational story and not because you have made it overdramatic or sad, but because it seems that your really genuine! I'm not in that kind of position, I just want to put a stop to my constant snacking that has given me a pregnant looking stomach!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    WELCOME TO MFP!!!! It really is a great site and the people on here you can "meet" are amazing, inspirational (sucha s youself!!), motivational, and always there for you!!!!!! I wish you nothing but the best in your new journey and congratulations for choosing to change things instead of accept them!!!!! Feel free to add me if you'd like! I would love to follow your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Shortshit24
    Options
    My daughter has that game and it's a work out!..LOL..You can do anything you want if you set your mind to it..I need to get back on my Wii as well..Another game that I have is the Biggest Loser and it's hard but man do you get a good work out. Nice meeting you :)
  • mommajdawg
    mommajdawg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Depression just that word and all that it implies is completely understood by a human being that is living with it! If you have not dealt with it first hand or help someone deal with it you can not fully understand what being out of control of every area of your life and at the same time not able to care or know why you are like this. My heart goes out to you, I know first hand how you feel or dont feel. Just joining MFP myself has been good and has spiked an interest in looking at myself and others in the journeys of life, Good Luck
  • karren1970
    karren1970 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site,it is a great tool in helping you see what is going in your body and the encouragement is wonderful.I know how you with the depression,I as well have been dealing with for years and it is still a struggle on many days.Feel free to add me to your friends list
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I know you can to do!!!
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hang in there my friend. You are way too young to be unhappy and inactive. You have so much of life ahead of you that can be rewarding, happy and full of activity and love! You have taken the first major step....MOVING! Nothing is more rewarding than to have a good workout and then feel the pain and gain from the activity. Do a little each day AND watch your portions. Portion control is a major hurdle when trying to lose weight. The combination should produce great results. I began changing my eating habits "of course I still love fast food once in awhile" and doing ZUMBA twice a week along with some weight lifting and have lost about 23 pounds total. I feel so much better and feel like I look better in my clothes. A huge motivator. So, please keep up the good work and try to stay focused on exercise and limiting your food intake...sodium too + lots of water! Good luck and add me as a friend if you like. I will be here to support you!