Not eating enough

naanz0
naanz0 Posts: 4 Member
My whole life i've had only two meals i never eat dinner unless i go out or stay up too late and since i started my diet i just changed the quality of my food i would have a bowl of mixed fruits for breakfast and a chicken saled for lunch and i feel very satisfied but my daily calories intake is more than that and i don't even feel like i wanna eat ! Is eating less calories than u should gonna effect your weightloss in a bad way ? If u know please help

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    You'll lose muscle if you cut too drastically. So, yes.
  • RYANCAIRNS2011
    RYANCAIRNS2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. U need to hit ur macros and eat every 3/4 hours to see best results. Keep protiens high to help with muscle mass.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Not to mention over time it will result in nutritional deficiencies, possible hair loss, brittle nails, and the list goes on.

How carefully are you measuring your food? If you are using measuring cups or estimating servings you could be eating more than you think.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Hi. U need to hit ur macros and eat every 3/4 hours to see best results. Keep protiens high to help with muscle mass.

You don't have to eat every 3-4 hours. Meal timing is irrelevant if one doesn't have health reasons to eat that often.

OP, you'll lose weight, but a higher deficit can cause muscle loss, hair loss, fatigue, menstrual issues if you deal with that anatomy, and organ issues. Aim for the minimum calorie intake (1200 for women/1500 for men), if not your goal.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

No you don't need to eat every 3-4 hours.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Maybe you would do better with eating 4-6 small meals per day. I agree with weighing and measuring your foods. You may actually be eating more than you think. I used to think I was eating the correct amount in ounces for meats and potatoes and cups of veggies and such but I was eating way over the serving sizes suggested.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    naanz0 wrote: »
    My whole life i've had only two meals i never eat dinner unless i go out or stay up too late and since i started my diet i just changed the quality of my food i would have a bowl of mixed fruits for breakfast and a chicken saled for lunch and i feel very satisfied but my daily calories intake is more than that and i don't even feel like i wanna eat ! Is eating less calories than u should gonna effect your weightloss in a bad way ? If u know please help

Two meals is fine.
    Mixed fruits are good.
    Chicken salad is good.
    Being satisfied is good.
    How many calories do you consume now?
    What is the recommended number of calories for you to consume?
    Not feeling like you want to eat when your body is hungry/needs fuel is not good.
    How much weight, if any, do you want to lose?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    What is your goal? TDEE - 500 calories for 1lb of weight loss. If you consume enough protein while doing this AND do resistance / weight training, you keep any muscles you earned if you lifted previously. If you create too much of a deficit with insufficient protein, your body will catabolize (basically 'consume') your muscles and you will be skinny with little "tone".

I think the guideline is 0.8g of protein per lean body weight. High protein foods will help you reach this amount (any lean meat, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powder, etc.).
  • naanz0

Two meals is fine.
    Mixed fruits are good.
    Chicken salad is good.
    Being satisfied is good.
    Not feeling like you want to eat when your body is hungry/needs fuel is not good.

Two meals is fine.
    Mixed fruits are good.
    Chicken salad is good.
    Being satisfied is good.

I want to lose 20 kgs and i'm supposed to consume 1200 calories a day but i alwayd end up having only about 650 calories a day and thats because 80% of my food is fruits and vegetables so i eat as much as i want and i'm still low on calories i don't starve myself if i feel hunger at night i do snack on veggies or fruits but at most times i don't feel like i am hungry
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    650 cals is a very small amount of food - it's hard to see how you are going to get enough nutrition from that.
    You need energy to survive, and you need a variety of nutrients to stay healthy. Eating a very low calorie diet on an ongoing basis without medical reason/supervision sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, sooner or later you are likely to fall in a heap.

I don't believe that "listen to you body, only eat when hungry" is good advice for everyone. Especially people who are overweight - that seems to me a pretty good sign that we aren't good at "listening to our body".

Having said that, you don't have to force yourself to eat a lot more quantity of food, you can concentrate on the quality. It's pretty easy to bump up your calories without adding a lot of extra volume, here's a few suggestions to add to your existing meals:
    - add yoghurt and/or muesli to your fruit
    - add avocado, nuts, olives, sundried tomatoes, cheese or oil based dressing to your salad
    - you could add a small snack of meat, roasted sweet potato, boiled eggs, cheese and crackers, nuts or similar.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    I tend to eat very little at breakfast and lunch, and save most of my calories for dinner. On days when I'm busy or distracted and skip breakfast or lunch or both, I sometimes find that it's hard to eat enough at dinner before I'm uncomfortably full. (And boy, I never thought I'd be saying THAT. This is a brand-new issue for me!) So while I do fine not eating every 3-4 hours, if I wanted to increase my calorie intake and avoid discomfort, I'd probably do well to eat more spread-out meals throughout the day. You might try that, too. 650 calories a day really is extreme; you don't want to debilitate yourself and rebound. I think there's good advice above about adding higher-calorie foods that won't increase the bulk you're eating, like nuts and oils. Avocados are great that way, and will help you stay regular as well, so if you like avocados you're in luck. Personally I could live on them.
  • naanz0
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    650 cals is a very small amount of food - it's hard to see how you are going to get enough nutrition from that.
    You need energy to survive, and you need a variety of nutrients to stay healthy. Eating a very low calorie diet on an ongoing basis without medical reason/supervision sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, sooner or later you are likely to fall in a heap.

I don't believe that "listen to you body, only eat when hungry" is good advice for everyone. Especially people who are overweight - that seems to me a pretty good sign that we aren't good at "listening to our body".

Having said that, you don't have to force yourself to eat a lot more quantity of food, you can concentrate on the quality. It's pretty easy to bump up your calories without adding a lot of extra volume, here's a few suggestions to add to your existing meals:
    - add yoghurt and/or muesli to your fruit
    - add avocado, nuts, olives, sundried tomatoes, cheese or oil based dressing to your salad
    - you could add a small snack of meat, roasted sweet potato, boiled eggs, cheese and crackers, nuts or similar.

Thank you for the great advice i will definitely try to increase my calorie intake i will add more food to my breakfast and lunch and try to reach my required daily amount of calories
  • naanz0
    I tend to eat very little at breakfast and lunch, and save most of my calories for dinner. On days when I'm busy or distracted and skip breakfast or lunch or both, I sometimes find that it's hard to eat enough at dinner before I'm uncomfortably full. (And boy, I never thought I'd be saying THAT. This is a brand-new issue for me!) So while I do fine not eating every 3-4 hours, if I wanted to increase my calorie intake and avoid discomfort, I'd probably do well to eat more spread-out meals throughout the day. You might try that, too. 650 calories a day really is extreme; you don't want to debilitate yourself and rebound. I think there's good advice above about adding higher-calorie foods that won't increase the bulk you're eating, like nuts and oils. Avocados are great that way, and will help you stay regular as well, so if you like avocados you're in luck. Personally I could live on them.

Thanks i will try that !!