Almond Milk

Options
So recently I started having quite a bit of almond milk instead of regular milk. Reason for this is the apparent health benefits (so i've read) as well as the fewer calories and because it tastes REALLY good. (Seriously the taste is probably the main reason here).

My question is; should I go with sweetened or unsweetened almond milk?

The brand I buy is called "So Good". They have both unsweetened and sweetened versions. I usually put the sweetened version in my tea without sugar and in my breakfast oats (with some honey). The sugar used in it is cane sugar. Altogether I might have about a cup a day.

Is it enough to worry about or should I completely not have the sweetened version?

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    get whichever one you like best

i buy unsweetened because i love cooking with it
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I drink the unsweetened vanilla flavor, that's my favorite.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Have what you want.
    Personally the only reason I would have almond milk is because of the lower calories, doubt it is healthier than regular or other milks. It is more expensive (at least in Australia) and I am still beyond puzzled how any one enjoys the taste of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's basically fortified water. For nut milks I'm interested in making my own (specifically this, which sounds delicious to me: http://cookieandkate.com/2013/cashew-milk-recipe/). For a base for a protein shake I think almond milk is fine and prefer unsweetened (although I rarely have protein shakes or any kind of milk), but if the sweetened fits in your day I think it's fine (no better or worse than dairy, depending on goals and taste preferences, but fine).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk, it took me weeks and weeks to get used to it in my tea. I was mixing it with half cows milk and slowly weened to 100% Almond milk. The sweetened/regular version has the same amount of carbs and sugar as full cream cows milk, but half the calories

For macros, I think cows milk is better, more protein and fat, plus it's a ton cheaper than $3.80 for 1 L of Almond milk.

The ONLY reason I switched from cows milk is because I'm trying to pinpoint why I'm getting these tiny bumps
    or pimple type things on my chin, and I'm leaning toward milk being the culprit because I drink so much of it. Over 500ml every day.

Bottom line for me, Cows milk wins hands down for taste and macros.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I buy unsweetened, but then add an artificial sweetener like stevia.
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Servaline wrote: »
    So recently I started having quite a bit of almond milk instead of regular milk. Reason for this is the apparent health benefits (so i've read) as well as the fewer calories and because it tastes REALLY good. (Seriously the taste is probably the main reason here).

The brand I buy is called "So Good". They have both unsweetened and sweetened versions. I usually put the sweetened version in my tea without sugar and in my breakfast oats (with some honey). The sugar used in it is cane sugar. Altogether I might have about a cup a day.

Is it enough to worry about or should I completely not have the sweetened version?

"So Good Brand" just recently arrived at the supermarket that I usually go to shop. I noticed from the ingredient list, the sugar content is higher than the almond. So, I think there are better alternatives. I don't have issues with sweetened almond milk if the sugar is not too much. I personally think it's almond flavored water. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I don't get the real deal. It's just my opinion, though. If you want the sweetened one, maybe try another brand?
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    elga_thres wrote: »
    Servaline wrote: »

"So Good Brand" just recently arrived at the supermarket that I usually go to shop. I noticed from the ingredient list, the sugar content is higher than the almond. So, I think there are better alternatives. I don't have issues with sweetened almond milk if the sugar is not too much. I personally think it's almond flavored water. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I don't get the real deal. It's just my opinion, though. If you want the sweetened one, maybe try another brand?

Or try their unsweetened version to see if you like it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    What health benefits? As one poster pointed out above, it's basically fortified nut water so you save calories but don't get much in the bargain.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    What health benefits? As one poster pointed out above, it's basically fortified nut water so you save calories but don't get much in the bargain.

Exactly. Calories or dairy issues would be the only reason to swap..
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've never seen sweetened Blue Diamond Almond vanilla milk in the shops. Just the unsweetened kind. I know "so Good" does a regular version, but doesn't do an unsweetened van/al milk.