Losing body fat but not weight. Seeing a nutritionist soon

Options
13»

Replies

• Marrasquino
    Marrasquino Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. When I went from dieting only to strength workouts + diet I couldn't drop a single pound for a month or so. It was much harder to stick to my deficit, too! But give it time and stay constant and you'll be back in track in no time. Meanwhile, you can and should celebrate your current progress!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was going to link the whooshes and squishy fat as well. If you have not read it, do so, I wish more people would read it. It is possible to lose inches, yet not have the scale more for a period of time. It is unlikely you are putting on muscle, but if your measurements are going down, you are losing fat, that is the purpose behind this.

I am concerned when a trainer is hired for a specific purpose (train in free weights) and then does not do that. You are the client, you are the one who says what you want. If he does not provide that, you need a different trainer. For that matter, a trainer who is that focused on the scale is a problem in itself. The scale is so easily thrown off by water retention (even the type that doesn't make your fingers swell), food digesting slowly, and the like. In your case assuming your logging is as accurate as you say, 1800 should be a reasonable deficit. Your measurements are going down, so it is likely fat is coming off, so him getting in a twist because of the scale not moving is silly.

I do suggest taking pictures so you can compare month to month how you look different. That is yet another measure of progress, and more data is always better than less.

I am also concerned with the trainer. I figured we were working up to free weights. While he confirmed that I should be able to lift very light on free weights, we still didn't move that direction. Only to be informed that I have one remaining session. I'm encouraged to do machine weights and cardio, which is what I've been doing for a year. Not really sure what I paid him for.

Pictures are awesome, aren't they? I've included 2 of mine. In the white shirt, I was 50lb below starting. The most recent (grey shirt) is right around 75lb down. In both pictures, I'm wearing the same shirt and pants, same size, different color.
    9d0q38y1rdra.jpg
    obkzam9uufmh.jpg

• Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Another thing. Calculating my TDEE gives me the following: h885con36ew0.png

This would indicate that sticking around 1800 would be good, right?

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    All of these calculators should be used as a starting point. There will be a some variance from person to person. I am currently at maintenance but eat slightly more than on-line calculators tell me I should - or I lose weight at a very slow pace. Some people might need to eat a little less.

Don't stress about changing your calorie intake for now. Give it one more month. If you don't see a drop in the scale by then I would say it is time to change things up. A lot of what you describe is what happens to people before they see a whoosh.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    All of these calculators should be used as a starting point. There will be a some variance from person to person. I am currently at maintenance but eat slightly more than on-line calculators tell me I should - or I lose weight at a very slow pace. Some people might need to eat a little less.

Don't stress about changing your calorie intake for now. Give it one more month. If you don't see a drop in the scale by then I would say it is time to change things up. A lot of what you describe is what happens to people before they see a whoosh.

There will be differences, but they will generally be small except for those few outliers. If you remember bell curves from your school days, this is a situation where the vast majority of the population who share certain characteristics (sex, height, age, weight) will be within a fairly small range around those numbers that the various calculators give. Some will be higher, some right on, some lower, but very few will be a long distance away from their number. I would leave your calories alone. Perhaps go through the database entries you are using to verify them against the nutritional information of your food since MFP has been doing work on the database and some entries have gotten messed up. Other than that, keep going, measure yourself, and keep taking picture.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

I appreciate the recommendation. I agree that staying the course is the right option for now. It's certainly a head scratcher to see the scale fail to move for so long, but as I suggested in my original post, I am okay with that right now, as long as I keep seeing other progression.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with a nutritionist. If anything, you'd want to see a registered dietitian. But if you're still losing body fat, then I wouldn't worry about the scale.
  • rippedhippie
    rippedhippie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    MikeAV8s wrote: »
    I don't know anything about your health, so this is assuming you have no health issues. If you are in fact losing body fat and replacing it with lean muscle at that rate, anyone who would change your diet would be insane. Keep doing what you are doing.

A-men
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't quote the post, but you said the trainer was "working you up to free weights"??? You absolutely need another trainer. Furthermore, you should ask said trainer if they intend to START on free weight doing compound movements, if not keep looking. Or even better, go buy the book "new rules of lifting for women" and you don't need a trainer.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I didn't quote the post, but you said the trainer was "working you up to free weights"??? You absolutely need another trainer. Furthermore, you should ask said trainer if they intend to START on free weight doing compound movements, if not keep looking. Or even better, go buy the book "new rules of lifting for women" and you don't need a trainer.

I don't know that I'll be shelling out more money for training. HIGHLY unlikely. He felt at the start that I would be unable to lift an empty bar. I can comfortably handle 70lb in various motions, and feel like it's utter BS. Over the past few months I've gotten stronger and made serious strides towards being where I want to be, but the most I've got out of it is a 26lb kettlebell, some itty bitty barbels, and a treadmill. I feel like he has consistently looked at me and seen a fat person, rather than the strong person I'm working on becoming.

Clearly, I should have asked more questions.

I will definitely take a look at that book. I appreciate the recommendation. And thanks to all of you who don't mind my venting :neutral:
  • MikeAV8s
    Options
    You may not be able to handle an empty bar, that's what Dumbbells are for. Granted, I do use a machine here and there for some work, but it's mostly free weights.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

I don't know that I'll be shelling out more money for training. HIGHLY unlikely. He felt at the start that I would be unable to lift an empty bar. I can comfortably handle 70lb in various motions, and feel like it's utter BS. Over the past few months I've gotten stronger and made serious strides towards being where I want to be, but the most I've got out of it is a 26lb kettlebell, some itty bitty barbels, and a treadmill. I feel like he has consistently looked at me and seen a fat person, rather than the strong person I'm working on becoming.

I will definitely take a look at that book. I appreciate the recommendation. And thanks to all of you who don't mind my venting :neutral:

I personally recommend Stronglifts 5x5. It has the advantage of being all compound lifts, it has few exercises to learn, and the app has example videos not to mention the lifts are all easy to find tutorials on youtube to help you.
  • MikeAV8s
    Options

I personally recommend Stronglifts 5x5. It has the advantage of being all compound lifts, it has few exercises to learn, and the app has example videos not to mention the lifts are all easy to find tutorials on youtube to help you.

Strong lifts is a great program, I use it. NROLW is great for women, my opinion is it better suits a beginning woman better, but you won't regret SL either.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    You may not be able to handle an empty bar, that's what Dumbbells are for. Granted, I do use a machine here and there for some work, but it's mostly free weights.

That's what, like 45lb? I think it's pretty likely that I can handle that. I've been primarily on machines and I'm bored. I want to be on my feet!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Thank you! Is getting started as intimidating as it feels? I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself. I hang around MFP checking out lifting videos though and I'm fascinated.
  • MikeAV8s
    Options

That's what, like 45lb? I think it's pretty likely that I can handle that. I've been primarily on machines and I'm bored. I want to be on my feet!

Lol, that wasn't an indictment, I was pointing out the fallacy in your trainers idea of not doing free weights because they didn't think you could handle the bar. Doesn't matter, empty bar or Dumbbells, either way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I'm also female, and I just use two machines.

Even for deadlifts and squats, one can use dumbbells instead of a bar, and your trainer should know this. You may be right in how he sees you, or women in general. Get him a copy of "New Rules of Lifting for Women" as a parting gift :dizzy:

Yes, let this be a learning experience about asking questions and advocating for what you want. I know this is an entirely different situation, but it just happened yesterday so is on my mind - my fiance's mother is in rehab and is miserable, and she's not advocating for herself. She calls my OH or her sister to complain about the staff rather than telling the staff what she needs and wants.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Lol, that wasn't an indictment, I was pointing out the fallacy in your trainers idea of not doing free weights because they didn't think you could handle the bar. Doesn't matter, empty bar or Dumbbells, either way.

Look at me, jumping to conclusions. :blush: The end result remains the same: I know my body better than he does.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm also female, and I just use two machines.

Even for deadlifts and squats, one can use dumbbells instead of a bar, and your trainer should know this. You may be right in how he sees you, or women in general. Get him a copy of "New Rules of Lifting for Women" as a parting gift :dizzy:

Yes, let this be a learning experience about asking questions and advocating for what you want. I know this is an entirely different situation, but it just happened yesterday so is on my mind - my fiance's mother is in rehab and is miserable, and she's not advocating for herself. She calls my OH or her sister to complain about the staff rather than telling the staff what she needs and wants.

I think women in general may be more accurate. I've seen him with other clients similar to myself - overweight twenty and thirty somethings - and the exercises he selects are pathetic. Squats, lunges, crunches (so, so many crunches), treadmill, etc. All the gents get taken straight to the free weights, regardless of apparent ability judging by the rate at which iron is flung around.

You're absolutely right, too. In an effort to avoid conflict, I'm bitching on MFP rather than to the people who might be able to do something about it. I think I need to find myself some big girl pants.