My spouse doesn't get it

Options
2»

Replies

• pedalpusher5
    Options
    I agree with hockeyman, about the additional conversation. No doubt you have communicated to her plenty, rarely have I ever known anyone to undertake this journey in silence where their family are concerned.

I have known people who are intentionally sabotaging of others efforts because they are threatened by the change in their significant other or friend or whatever, either because they feel insecure in their own bodies and don't want to feel more so by seeing you make improvements in yours or because they are afraid that your physical change might be accompanied by other kinds of changes that they won't be able to handle. Sometimes it's a simple matter of jealousy and wondering what might happen if you become more attractive to other people. If you need to have another conversation, maybe it should be about that rather than the food.

As far as the food, I would say if she makes you high calorie pancakes and gives you 3 pancakes that are 750 calories, you put two of them back and eat one. You explain to her in the most loving way possible that you love the pancakes and appreciate her making them for you, but unfortunately because of their high caloric content you can only have one of them and stay within your calorie allowance for the day. If she whines, she whines. If you do that consistently and don't give in she'll get it eventually.
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would bet your wife is just uninformed about healthy eating. We think because we are active in our health seeking that others have the same knowledge we do, which just isn't true. Because we are on these message boards and actively working with the website we have learned how carbs and sugars function in our body and how beneficial proteins and fiber can be as well as which foods contain these nutrients. My guess would be your wife just doesn't have that knowledge. It sounds like she loves you. People think "apple" pie. That is healthy. I agree with many of the other posters in that your best bet is to cook together. In a nice and fun way try to teach her about healthy eating. Like you said, it's not all about weight loss, but about being healthy and everyone can use that!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think that people who don't go through it will never fully understand. She might not realize how much of an effect that can have on your day and how you feel. I like the suggestion of learning some lower calorie treats to cook together. She can still cook for you and you can eat it guilt free!
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your advice. However, hockeyman is right. I've had this conversation more than once. It always ends with her pouting and saying she was just trying to do something nice and I don't appreciate it.
    Luckily, I do most of the cooking. Contrary to what some of you seem to think, I don't demand that my breakfast be waiting for me. Sometimes she likes to cook me breakfast to be nice, but 9 times out of 10 I make my own breakfast. I cook most of the dinners, etc.
    I know she's trying to please me, I'm just at my wits end here.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your advice. However, hockeyman is right. I've had this conversation more than once. It always ends with her pouting and saying she was just trying to do something nice and I don't appreciate it.
    Luckily, I do most of the cooking. Contrary to what some of you seem to think, I don't demand that my breakfast be waiting for me. Sometimes she likes to cook me breakfast to be nice, but 9 times out of 10 I make my own breakfast. I cook most of the dinners, etc.
    I know she's trying to please me, I'm just at my wits end here.

Then don't actually have the conversation again. Just do things to work around it and let your actions lead her in the right direction. Besides cooking together, maybe you can ask her to join MFP too? Even if she does not want to lose weight, setting up and having a diary would be educational for her. You can tell her that this would be a really good way to support you and show her love. By doing other things, maybe she will eventually find out that there are many other ways she can show you she loves you - ways that do not involve food at all.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my husband, who does most of the supper cooking. He shows his love through food - delicious, high-calorie food - and I've learned that I just have to take a smaller portion. I control my breakfast and lunch, so I try to leave room for supper, and I do the best I can counting calories. I have gotten him to use healthier ingredients, and we don't eat near as much fried food as we used to. Sometimes I make a low-cal side for myself to go with his entree. I also eat off of a smaller plate (a "lunch" plate) to ensure that I don't overload it. It's a careful dance. I don't know if any of these ideas will help you, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Good luck!