How important are macros if you're meeting your calorie goal?

Options
srd_23
srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
Recently I've been doing a lot of protein shakes, and I know not everyone agrees with using a protein shakes as a meal replacement, but it works really well for me. I am a single mom with two kids and one really demanding job, and protein shakes are a quick and easy way to have a healthy low calorie meal. So of course, most days I'm way over on my protein and a bit under in my carbs and fat.

My question is, does it really matter? I'm loosing weight, and not feeling too hungry. I feel good, and I'm not experiencing issues with low energy. Should I care that my macros are a bit off?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you have things set up. I felt that the MFP designated protein target was too low, so I changed it to something I felt more appropriate. As for weight loss, no it doesn't matter, but it might influence satiety and nutritional balance. Personally, I usually have a protein powder smoothie each day (although not everyday, and not more than once per day). It helps me meet my targets and allows for a quick grab and go "meal" when I need it (I'm not a morning person). One thing to ask yourself is what is your long-term plan. How do you plan to transition to maintenance once you are finished losing? Is this something you will continue to do? If not, how are you going to transition away from it? I am a big proponent of losing in the same way you plan to maintain, making the transition easier.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've never paid attention to macros, and I've had great success just focusing on calories. I don't even have the different macros listed in my food diary ( you can go to settings and edit what you track).
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I only focus on calories. This is why I have my food diary set up to only show calories. I just try to keep a balance with the rest throughout my day without obsessing on numbers.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Protein is somewhat important (although many people drastically overstate how much you really need - not everyone is trying to be a bodybuilder) because it tends to be more filling and it promotes muscle maintenance.

Fat and carbs are pretty much irrelevant as long as you get minimum essential fats in your diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    your macros are important for nutrition and balancing out your nutrition...they are also important to body composition and fitness performance. but they really don't mean jack for weight loss or weight management...CALORIES. They are good to be aware of and it's good to eat a well balanced diet...but people worry way too much about this crap.
  • srd_23
    srd_23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good to know guys, thanks for the input. I can definitely see myself continuing with the protein shakes once I hit maintenance. I like them, and I'm chronically busy, so if it's not hurting anything I think I'll stick with it.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    srd_23 wrote: »
    Recently I've been doing a lot of protein shakes, and I know not everyone agrees with using a protein shakes as a meal replacement, but it works really well for me. I am a single mom with two kids and one really demanding job, and protein shakes are a quick and easy way to have a healthy low calorie meal. So of course, most days I'm way over on my protein and a bit under in my carbs and fat.

My question is, does it really matter? I'm loosing weight, and not feeling too hungry. I feel good, and I'm not experiencing issues with low energy. Should I care that my macros are a bit off?

I always admire people like you! If it's working, that's good!
    I have to stick with certain macros, or i end up going off my diet, or at least feeling hungry and snacky. You are probably not "over" on your protein...the protein goals are too low, IMO. Have you ever tracked fiber? If your diet is pretty high in fiber (35g or more), then that may be contributing to your feeling satisfied.
    Congratulations!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    srd_23 wrote: »
    Good to know guys, thanks for the input. I can definitely see myself continuing with the protein shakes once I hit maintenance. I like them, and I'm chronically busy, so if it's not hurting anything I think I'll stick with it.

I'll never give up my protein shakes/smoothies. I love them and look forward to them.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what macros you have set up to shoot for, but what is your protein intake? When I write meal plans I typically base then in macros and ignore calories. As long as the foods are healthy and clean, it's the macros that matter (aka how much of a nutrient you eat).

Your body doesn't know what a calorie is so it doesn't care about that number. It cares about the nutrients.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what macros you have set up to shoot for, but what is your protein intake? When I write meal plans I typically base then in macros and ignore calories. As long as the foods are healthy and clean, it's the macros that matter (aka how much of a nutrient you eat).

Your body doesn't know what a calorie is so it doesn't care about that number. It cares about the nutrients.

Interesting. That is pretty much the exact opposite of most people here say. I'm not knocking your way btw, different things work for different people., and if counting macros and not worrying about calories works for you, then that's all that matters :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Macros will determine calories anyway, so it's all the same thing really. Carbs and protein 4cal/gram and fats 9cal/gram. Without getting into the spacious argument on TEF. There's also more to nutrition than just the macronutrients. If this works for you, then great. If OP is happy with how things are going for her, then that's great too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Macros will determine calories anyway, so it's all the same thing really. Carbs and protein 4cal/gram and fats 9cal/gram. Without getting into the spacious argument on TEF. There's also more to nutrition than just the macronutrients. If this works for you, then great. If OP is happy with how things are going for her, then that's great too.

Agreed. If you ate staying within a total limit of all macros (and not counting carbs but not the other two macros), it'll all boil down to the same. Just a different way to approach counting calories that may work better for some people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Interesting. That is pretty much the exact opposite of most people here say. I'm not knocking your way btw, different things work for different people., and if counting macros and not worrying about calories works for you, then that's all that matters :smile:

Counting macros (by gram) is just a different way of counting calories. By percentage would not be, but I assume that's not what the poster means.

That said, I personally think macros are way overrated. Like another poster said, getting enough protein is important and can be helpful for satiety for many. Beyond that, get essential fats (which is hard to avoid) and fats v. carbs really don't matter or are personal. IMO, people should just be sensible and adjust their diets if they aren't feeling satisfied and things like more fiber, in many cases fewer low nutrient sweets and highly refined foods or liquid calories can help with that. But if someone like OP finds liquid calories work fine for her, then personal experience should trump these kinds of tips, which are based on averages.

For me, eating a variety of nutrient-dense foods is more important (for health/satiety) than the particular macro mix for the day (although I tend to fall into a usual pattern).
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Do the macros not matter if the foods are not healthy or clean?
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    I only focus on calories. This is why I have my food diary set up to only show calories. I just try to keep a balance with the rest throughout my day without obsessing on numbers.

I thought I was the only one who did this, lol.
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your overall goal is. If it's strictly to lose weight, do what works. For me, I want to lose weight by eating healthier and focusing on nutrition.

I think it would be important to at least look at the nutritional content of the food that you put into your diary. I don't know about you, but after years of eating the kind of food that cause me to gain weight in the first place, when I started walking and my food I found that I knew next to nothing. I would put something in my diary thinking that it was healthy, only to look at the nutrition content and find out that it was high in fat and sugar. A handful of almonds here and there, an avocado, and some granola for breakfast might be well under your calorie goal but would probably exceed your fat content for the day. So even if you don't plan on following the guidelines, I think it's definitely beneficial to become aware of the contents of what we put into our body
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think it depends on what your overall goal is. If it's strictly to lose weight, do what works. For me, I want to lose weight by eating healthier and focusing on nutrition.

I think it would be important to at least look at the nutritional content of the food that you put into your diary. I don't know about you, but after years of eating the kind of food that cause me to gain weight in the first place, when I started walking and my food I found that I knew next to nothing. I would put something in my diary thinking that it was healthy, only to look at the nutrition content and find out that it was high in fat and sugar. A handful of almonds here and there, an avocado, and some granola for breakfast might be well under your calorie goal but would probably exceed your fat content for the day. So even if you don't plan on following the guidelines, I think it's definitely beneficial to become aware of the contents of what we put into our body

Certain kinds of foods don't cause weight gain-eating over your maintenance calories does.

Just by losing the extra poundage while still eating everything I liked, greatly improved my health. No longer have high glucose numbers, cholesterol is excellent (triglycerides are a 49), blood pressure is great, no medical issues at all, no medications, I sleep well etc etc etc. And I eat everything from fast food 2-4 times a week, to veggies and whole grains. I haven't cut anything out and just focus on staying within my calorie parameters, sticking with portion sizes, and eating a varied diet of the foods I like. I have probably over 40 years of maintenance ahead of me-no way am I making this any more complicated than it needs to be, by boxing myself in with arbitrary rules and restrictions.

And there's nothing wrong with fat or sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

High in certain kinds of fats isn't bad at all. An avocado, some almonds, and maybe some granola (granola varies so much you cannot generalize) would not be unhealthy, even if over MFP's fat percentage. There's nothing particularly special about MFP's default percentages and many people think they need to be adjusted for them.

I agree that looking at nutrition content is important (although I don't think that's really about macros as the main thing), but I would not say that sugar and fat make a food unhealthy -- fruit and plain yogurt have lots of sugar, the foods you mentioned have lots of fat, as do eggs and olives and of course olive oil, and yet in moderation (within calories) I think these foods tend to make many diets more healthful.

Also, personally, I was not ignorant about nutrition before deciding to lose weight and I didn't eat foods I now consider unhealthful or really make fundamentally different choices. I ate without being mindful and too much and too often (for reasons having nothing to do with hunger). Now I am mindful, which means I don't waste calories on foods I don't care much about, but as before I eat mostly nutrient dense foods with some extras just because I like them and they make my overall diet more satisfying. And I'm very active, whereas for a while I was sedentary (which worked in a loop with being depressed).