Lightly active, active, or very active???

Options
Okay I am trying to gain 20 lbs. (I'm underweight 105 lbs 5'6) but at the same time I would like to do squats/lunges/crunches and light dumbbell weights (10 lbs each arm) daily. But I'm confused what I should put on my goal setting?! I don't want my work outs to jeopardize my weight gain so I want to be as accurate as possible I just would like to tone up as I'm putting the weight on so I can be in shape as well. Help?!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Okay I am trying to gain 20 lbs. (I'm underweight 105 lbs 5'6) but at the same time I would like to do squats/lunges/crunches and light dumbbell weights (10 lbs each arm) daily. But I'm confused what I should put on my goal setting?! I don't want my work outs to jeopardize my weight gain so I want to be as accurate as possible I just would like to tone up as I'm putting the weight on so I can be in shape as well. Help?!

Honestly, all the calculations are estimates, so the best is probably start with lightly active and if you aren't gaining, then bump it to active (and don't add exercise calories, since modifying the activity level will account for your exercise). And if you want to maximize the amount of muscle gained, I would recommend a solid compound lifting program such as strong curves or NROL4W.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You should do slightly active since you're on the thinner side than can build it up once your weight increases smoothly.
  • Beefjerky8
    Beefjerky8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. Get hold of that book and it will put you on the right path!
    You will then have a better understanding of what you need to do to get it right.
    Have fun
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weigh yourself daily and try to gain on average a half a pound a week. If you are weight training well, perhaps half of that will be muscle.
    You need to lift three times a week, all body, gradually getting heavier. Try to eat 100g of protein a day.
    Good programmes are Strong Curves and new rules of lifting for women.
  • chrislove110027
    chrislove110027 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What you choose for that is what the majority of your day consists of. For example it says if you work a desk job you would choose the lowest active setting. I do not believe it is asking for how active your workouts are. I could be wrong, but this is what I got from it.