Cheat meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I cheat all the time. OR live, however you want to call it. (Ok, maybe not all the time.) But my cheat meals aren't usually all that un healthy. Just more caloric than usual. Instead of 4-8oz steak, I'll do 16oz. for example. Its good for your body to 're-eat' every once in while. One meal a month, we carb load. <-These meals however are not usually that healthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Its just what i call it. :)
    No. It's not just what you call it, it's how you conceive of it. You schedule it, weekly.

I live. Life has indulgences. I don't say: it's saturday, so I get to eat whatever I want. I just know that from time to time, I'll find myself at a restaurant eating more than my usual calories.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The idea of cheat meals is cool... but it all depends on the person. For me, I like to look at my calories over the whole week and go from there. For me, the idea of reducing eating just a little bit every day and having 1 day of slightly more calories (very slight!) sucks.

2 days of eating like an anorexic bird in the week affords me a day or two of eating like a gluttonous slob for at least 1 day lol. It is all about finding what works for you, within a healthy range.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just do a maintenance day so I "kind" of cheat but I typically eat what I want every day just dont go too overboard, as long as it fits in my calorie goal :)
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. I live. Sometimes that includes indulgences. Calling it a "cheat" is weird to me. I don't cheat on my life.

i agree with this guy, my "cheat" would be PB & dark chocolate a few squares later and im satisfied :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    I just do a maintenance day so I "kind" of cheat but I typically eat what I want every day just dont go too overboard, as long as it fits in my calorie goal :)

I basically do this, but I call it cheat day. My maintenance calories are around 1000 above my daily cals, so it's definitely luxurious to me! I do it every Saturday and eat a normal breakfast and lunch, then go a little higher on my dinner calories and include dessert. I probably usually end up going over my maintenance as well, but I always work it off and still manage a 2 lb/week loss.

I can't do the whole "eat everything you want, but in moderation" thing. I have binge eating disorder and if I start allowing myself bars of chocolate or cookies, Doritos, etc. in my daily life, but within my calories, it will only lead to binging. So, I eat mostly "healthy" foods every day and then allow myself a little junk on Saturdays.

You gotta do what works for you! In the past I had tried making Saturday a free for all day, but quickly learned that I could undo my entire week's work in one day.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I call it a cheat meal. I calorie bank, so it can be difficult for me to do any real damage on cheat day. Also complicating cheat day is that I can't eat as much as I used to and don't even prefer to eat as calorie dense items as I used to. I don't really like deep dish meat lovers pizzas from Pizza Hut anymore. I really like thinner crust veggie or Margharita pizzas I make myself. I use fresh mozzarella, feta, or goat cheese which has less calories than most regular shredded cheeses (70 compared to 90-110) and I simply use less of it. Goat cheese is very flavorful and you don't need to drown a pizza in it! I prefer eating Baked Lays to regular fried chips. My favorite ice cream right now is 120 calories a serving and light chocolate syrup tastes fine to me. I like spiced rum and diet coke as much as beer.

On the occasions I have logged these meals, I find they around 1500-2000 calories. My TDEE is 2100-2200 and I have usually not had more than 500-600 calories before the feasting starts. Again, the damage is limited. I find the further you get into the weight watching lifestyle, the more (sometimes unconsciously) self-correcting it becomes.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So i do a cheat meal one day a weeks either Saturday or Sunday and find this really helps me to stay I track all week. Rule is i can eat what ever i want for that meal. Not a creat day.
    Does anyone else have any tricks like this?

I usually have one meal/week where I eat & drink what I want, but in moderation... I don't call it 'cheat' meal or day.

I am eating what I used to eat prior to my weight loss 'journey'. But now, I don't eat too many carbs & my food intake is upto 1200 calories.

Saying this, if I find myself attending or hosting parties..... I might eat more, but then go back to my daily regular food/exercise routine the next day onward.

I would not suggest an "all-you-can-eat buffet" as a CHEAT meal. ;-) The idea here is to make our food habit a life-time change, not just an effort to reduce. Because, if you are not going to do a change, then you may go back to your old bad eating habits.

All the best.
  • mindfulmama1977
    mindfulmama1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    lml852014 wrote: »

I basically do this, but I call it cheat day. My maintenance calories are around 1000 above my daily cals, so it's definitely luxurious to me! I do it every Saturday and eat a normal breakfast and lunch, then go a little higher on my dinner calories and include dessert. I probably usually end up going over my maintenance as well, but I always work it off and still manage a 2 lb/week loss.

I can't do the whole "eat everything you want, but in moderation" thing. I have binge eating disorder and if I start allowing myself bars of chocolate or cookies, Doritos, etc. in my daily life, but within my calories, it will only lead to binging. So, I eat mostly "healthy" foods every day and then allow myself a little junk on Saturdays.

You gotta do what works for you! In the past I had tried making Saturday a free for all day, but quickly learned that I could undo my entire week's work in one day.

I love this. I can't do Eat what i want I moderation either and also come from a background of eating disorders and just no control. So one meal one day a week it's a nice.
  • mindfulmama1977
    Options
    mankars wrote: »
    So i do a cheat meal one day a weeks either Saturday or Sunday and find this really helps me to stay I track all week. Rule is i can eat what ever i want for that meal. Not a creat day.
    Does anyone else have any tricks like this?

I usually have one meal/week where I eat & drink what I want, but in moderation... I don't call it 'cheat' meal or day.

I am eating what I used to eat prior to my weight loss 'journey'. But now, I don't eat too many carbs & my food intake is upto 1200 calories.

Saying this, if I find myself attending or hosting parties..... I might eat more, but then go back to my daily regular food/exercise routine the next day onward.

I would not suggest an "all-you-can-eat buffet" as a CHEAT meal. ;-) The idea here is to make our food habit a life-time change, not just an effort to reduce. Because, if you are not going to do a change, then you may go back to your old bad eating habits.

All the best.

Its just one meal that's not controlled as in calories, carbs etc . not anywhere near as extreme as it sounds maybe. Just i guess one "I'm not thinking about it" meal lol.
    My best friend who's a vegan rnd and a competative athlete doesn't this as a reward for being audio diligent all week. I like it works for me. ❤
  • mindfulmama1977
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I call it a cheat meal. I calorie bank, so it can be difficult for me to do any real damage on cheat day. Also complicating cheat day is that I can't eat as much as I used to and don't even prefer to eat as calorie dense items as I used to. I don't really like deep dish meat lovers pizzas from Pizza Hut anymore. I really like thinner crust veggie or Margharita pizzas I make myself. I use fresh mozzarella, feta, or goat cheese which has less calories than most regular shredded cheeses (70 compared to 90-110) and I simply use less of it. Goat cheese is very flavorful and you don't need to drown a pizza in it! I prefer eating Baked Lays to regular fried chips. My favorite ice cream right now is 120 calories a serving and light chocolate syrup tastes fine to me. I like spiced rum and diet coke as much as beer.

On the occasions I have logged these meals, I find they around 1500-2000 calories. My TDEE is 2100-2200 and I have usually not had more than 500-600 calories before the feasting starts. Again, the damage is limited. I find the further you get into the weight watching lifestyle, the more (sometimes unconsciously) self-correcting it becomes.

This is exactly what I'm finding! My. "cheat " meal is getting healthier and healthier :)
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I'm finding! My. "cheat " meal is getting healthier and healthier :)

This is what will happen when you actually care about what you put in your body. What starts out as a diet or trying to eat better just becomes the status quo. A lifestyle.