Fitbits.. is it worth the hype?

Options
124»

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One, and I love that thing. It opened my eyes as to how little I moved at work (the dreaded 9-5 desk job). I now get up every hour and walk from one end of the building to the other, taking in three floors while I do it.

I'm also a numbers geek, so the fact that there are loads of graphs and statistics on the dashboard makes me very happy, and I have the option of exporting all my data into an Excel spreadsheet so I can play around with it even more.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine that was only $50. It might sync with MFP but I haven't done that yet if it does. It's very accurate with steps, sleep, and activity. I really like it. Once in awhile I wish it would sync with MFP but not enough for me to sit down and figure it out. :-) You might look at cheaper options to start out. Like I said, I love my Misfit and I love that I don't have to charge it (it uses a battery that so far has gone months without even coming off of "full").

I have a Misfit Shine too. It does sync with MFP. I had a fitbit, actually several because the company had to keep replacing it. I don't think it was as accurate as my Misfit, plus it spent most of the time on the charger, which I don't have to worry about with my Misfit, but it kept me moving which is always a plus. I don't think I would be without an activity tracker again.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the jawbone UP3? I'm looking into these and would like to choose one soon. I am looking at jawbone, Fitbit charge hr, and the miss shine. The only drawback to miss shine is that there is no HR monitor.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the jawbone UP3? I'm looking into these and would like to choose one soon. I am looking at jawbone, Fitbit charge hr, and the miss shine. The only drawback to miss shine is that there is no HR monitor.

I have a jawbone2....upgraded from the Jawbone and I have a fitbit.

I wear my jawbone2 always...fitbit sits in a drawer.

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

I had an UP3 but I sent it back (I'm not good with wrist-based monitors as I get too many false readings). I use the Withings Pulse Ox now, which can be worn on the wrist or clipped to clothing.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a jawbone UP as a gift and I loved it, but I had to send in FOUR for replacement. Their customer service was great, but it was a hassle. I recently purchased the Fitbit Alta and I really like it. I do think it underestimates steps, but I'd rather have it underestimate than overestimate. Are they a fad? Yes. Are they gimmicky? Yes. Can you lose weight/stay in shape without one? Definitely. But, if you are a numbers nerd or enjoy tracking your activity, they are a fun way to do so. It also makes me more aware of my inactive periods, so I find it's beneficial to my physical health. I also enjoy participating in challenges with my friends. I have it synced with MFP, so it automatically adds in the calories burned and I particularly get a kick out of wearing it while I'm training for my half marathons. It gives me a little boost to see how many steps I've gotten in!!
  • StephaniexWins
    StephaniexWins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr I got at Best Buy online and in store pick up for $126 when it's normally $150. I think it's been very accurate for me. I love it!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge and I enjoy it. I don't think it's 100% accurate about my steps and calories burned, but it's pretty close. I enjoy the challenges with my friends because I'm learning that I'm competitive and I like trying to do better than my previous best week. I also find that it helps to have it synced with MFP, allowing it to adjust negatively as well. This way I get a better picture of what my net intake should be from day to day depending on how active I am.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I never have found the grips to be anywhere near accurate for heart rate. Yes, sure, my RH went from 184 to 66 while running 7.8mph. Whateverz.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of Fitbits that were given to me. I unsynced them from MFP because I didn't want an automatic adjustment. It was fun, although I wasn't sure how accurate it was and I didn't like the group rankings on the Fitbit site as they seemed susceptible to manipulation. I now have a hand-me-down Basis Peak, which is OK.

The best way to monitor is to weigh oneself every day.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »

Arent the HRM and calories burned functions on exercise equipment useless though?

I pay no attention to the calories burned estimate. It's based on algorithm, not a direct measure.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    +1 Misfit Flash for < $30
  • cocobee2016
    cocobee2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is the electronic version of "buying" motivation and I heard for some it really does motivate
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Buying a fitbit was the best investment I've made since trying to lose weight. It obviously doesn't do the work for you, but it is a great motivator. I have it synced with MFP, so it adds my exercise calories for me. Set and forget :smiley:

I agree, as long as you think of it as a tool that needs to be interpreted then you'd probably benefit. Mine seems quite accurate, it says I burn about 2800 calories a day just living my life, and that helps me feel confident in eating 1800-1900 calories a day because I know there's still a deficit and I don't feel deprived. If I had to use online TDEE estimates I'd be under eating and making myself miserable which is why I quit and gained back weight in the first place. The step count is accurate, I adjusted my stride length to my actual measured stride and have had no trouble since.

I do sometimes worry that maybe I don't burn as much as it says, but when I truly am consistent with both my steps AND logging appropriate portion sizes I see results. I havent seen what I want to see yet because I've still been over eating. But I'm confident I will make progress now that I'm dedicated and have made a commitment to my doctor.

Plus I'm having a big wedding next year, and while I don't subscribe to the 'sweating for the wedding' concept, I do want to at least re-lose what I have gained back by then. Totally reasonable 60lbs in 12mos. So it's time now to stop just having a plan and actually put it in place. Fitbit is absolutely helpful to me!

Great review - thanks for that!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine that was only $50. It might sync with MFP but I haven't done that yet if it does. It's very accurate with steps, sleep, and activity. I really like it. Once in awhile I wish it would sync with MFP but not enough for me to sit down and figure it out. :-) You might look at cheaper options to start out. Like I said, I love my Misfit and I love that I don't have to charge it (it uses a battery that so far has gone months without even coming off of "full").

I have a Misfit Shine too. It does sync with MFP. I had a fitbit, actually several because the company had to keep replacing it. I don't think it was as accurate as my Misfit, plus it spent most of the time on the charger, which I don't have to worry about with my Misfit, but it kept me moving which is always a plus. I don't think I would be without an activity tracker again.

Can you tell me how to sync it? Or is it not worth it? I have MFP on my phone so I can pull it up but my activity/steps doesn't transfer from my Misfit to MFP automatically (and I'm not sure if that's a good idea anyway). Do you like having them sync?
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think the value of trackers is directly linked to how sedentary you naturally are. Are you like some in this post and super cool awesome self motivated fitness masters, or are you like me who is morbidly obese and the definition of sedentary? Before I got my Garmin I had no idea that an average day for me was 1500 steps Max, weekends would be half that. Now with the watch on my wrist it has an alarm if I sit for too long, so get up and go for a walk. If you are already a naturally active person they might seem like a fad, or a stupid gadget, but for someone like me who couldn't walk to the end of his driveway three months ago, and now will go on a 2 mile walk every day , it has improved my quality of life ten fold .
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have the basic Fitbit Zip. It clips onto my bra so no miscounted steps. I have it linked with MFP and it very accurately estimates my TDEE so I lose 1lb a week on average. I am now only 6lbs from goal, fit and active. The combo of Fitbit and MFP has been the key to my success
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HRM and only use it when I'm working out. It seems reasonably accurate although I only take two thirds of what it gives me.