Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fasted cardio

Curious if anyone has tried fasted cardio .
Currently on a keto diet down 43 lbs but plateau and want to lose 15 more lbs. Looking into fasted cardio as a kick-start er to shed the rest .

Has anyone tried it? How were your experiences / how many days a week

Replies

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Doesn't matter. Keep eating at a deficit it will come off. There is no benefit to fasted vs non fasted. CO is CO be it in the morning, afternoon or evening.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    It is personal preference. I go to the gym first thing in the morning and never eat before. I have my water bottle, but I do not eat until I get to work.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    just about all of my cardio is in a fasted state.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Hm. I'm told that fasted exercise brings more results than having eaten, but that makes me wonder: many proponents say that there is to be nothing on your stomach at the time. That would be NPO cardio, which sounds very dangerous. I would at least need to bring some water with me! Any and all thoughts are welcome.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    edited April 2016
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Hm. I'm told that fasted exercise brings more results than having eaten, but that makes me wonder: many proponents say that there is to be nothing on your stomach at the time. That would be NPO cardio, which sounds very dangerous. I would at least need to bring some water with me! Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Studies would not hold that fasted exercise makes any statistically significant difference. Alan Aragon wrote this about it: http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html

Not sure what NPO cardio means. Could you define it?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Often I'll go for a long bike ride on an empty stomach. It works better with my schedule (I don't want to wait an hour before I can ride), and I don't love exerting myself with heavy food in my stomach. But it has no effect on my weight, that's purely a matter of how many calories I ate vs how many I burned.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    Often I'll go for a long bike ride on an empty stomach. It works better with my schedule (I don't want to wait an hour before I can ride), and I don't love exerting myself with heavy food in my stomach. But it has no effect on my weight, that's purely a matter of how many calories I ate vs how many I burned.

I do the same thing, I find having a full stomach makes it more difficult. I often do my ride first thing in the morning and will go 2-2.5 hours at about 16-19mph with no issues. If I know I am going longer than this, I will take some baked potatoes along. I can eat a small potato and it does not fill my stomach, but will give some carbs for the later part of my ride.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I do almost all of my cardio fasted. Simply because I feel better while running if Im 'empty'. If I eat before I run, I feel sluggish and heavy, regardless of what I eat.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    davidcliff wrote: »
    just about all of my cardio is in a fasted state.
    I do this for fat loss as I am maintaining weight, and it seems to make a difference, but my results could very well have been derived from other factors.
    The science on this is shaky.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I do the same thing, I find having a full stomach makes it more difficult. I often do my ride first thing in the morning and will go 2-2.5 hours at about 16-19mph with no issues. If I know I am going longer than this, I will take some baked potatoes along. I can eat a small potato and it does not fill my stomach, but will give some carbs for the later part of my ride.

For me it's a bag of peanut M&Ms. Tear the top of the bag when I start, I can eat a few at a time and stick them back in my pocket until I need more. The sugar seems to absorb pretty quick, so it's a shot of energy when I need it, and I guess the peanuts are filling enough.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member

This is me. I wake up early and exercise first thing, so I don't have time to get in a meal and wait for it to digest enough. If I try to exercise or run with a belly full of food, it'll get messy. But I only go at it for 40-45 minutes or so at a time (a little more with stretching), so I don't need a lot of fuel to get me through.

It's a personal preference thing. Just do what feels good for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Doesn't matter. Keep eating at a deficit it will come off. There is no benefit to fasted vs non fasted. CO is CO be it in the morning, afternoon or evening.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/jap/118/1/80.full.pdf expresses a different view, that the transient energy deficit can lead to greater oxidation of fat with pre-breakfast exercise compared to later in the day after meals.
    In conclusion, even in energy-balanced condition, 24-h fat
    oxidation is increased if exercise-induced transient energy
    deficit is significant, which is likely to be observed during
    exercise performed before breakfast.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    They have the name break fast (breakfast) for a reason. Is it significant to making huge results, that will depend on a person to person basis from the person have energy enough to still bring intensity.
  • eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    I wake up at around 7 or 7:30 each morning and I often haven't eaten since 6 or 7 the night before. Because of this, I'll wake up pretty hungry and it would hurt to do cardio on a hungry stomach. Breakfast is pretty important for weight loss imo and prolonging when you have it might not be a good thing.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »

Studies would not hold that fasted exercise makes any statistically significant difference. Alan Aragon wrote this about it: http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html

Not sure what NPO cardio means. Could you define it?
    As you may know, NPO is Latin for "Nothing By Mouth," a state that is usually saved for surgery due to anesthesia needs. However, I've accidentally performed cardio with nothing at all on my stomach before, so was just wondering about the safety and effectiveness of doing so.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Personally I have been testing myself to see what I like better and what feels the best to me. I haven't found a huge difference between a light snack, like a piece of fruit or slice of toast, before I work out in the morning and fasted with just some BCAA/Electrolytes in my water. I know that if I work out later in the day I need to be sure to have a small, balanced snack before I work out or I will run out of steam much faster.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    I wake up at around 7 or 7:30 each morning and I often haven't eaten since 6 or 7 the night before. Because of this, I'll wake up pretty hungry and it would hurt to do cardio on a hungry stomach. Breakfast is pretty important for weight loss imo and prolonging when you have it might not be a good thing.

I'm down nearly 90 pounds and within five of my goal in a little over a year and have yet to eat breakfast before working out.. js
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    AlphaCajun wrote: »

I'm down nearly 90 pounds and within five of my goal in a little over a year and have yet to eat breakfast before working out.. js

On that note, I lost 80lbs in 8 months eating breakfast or a snack before working out every single time...js

ETA: Disregard. Didn't notice that you were replying to someone. Yes, either way works. Sorry about that. :Shake:
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    I didn't even now this was a thing. I used to work out early in the morning and just not eat before because I didn't feel like eating. I don't see a real difference.