Home scale vs gym scale

Options
I have used the same mechanical scale at home ( one that looks like a clock). When I weigh my self it says I'm 172lbs.which would mean I've lost about 10 months in the month I've been dieting (Hooray!) I weighed myself at the gym yesterday and it said 179 (Boo) I tested my home scale by placing a 15lb weight on it and it correctly weighed it at 15. I even had my son stand on it since I knew he was 82lbs at the dr office and it was accurate. What should I believe? I would think the digital scale at the gym would be highly accurate. I'm hoping it's not! I've either really hard for only a few pound lost and I feel better which I guess is all that matters...

Replies

• Tjs8819
    Tjs8819 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I meant 10lbs not months
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter which one, just be consistent with which one you weigh in with. I would go with your home scale, since you tested that it's accurate. Plus, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom and with minimal cloths on. That is the most accurate time to weigh yourself. If you weigh in later in the day, you're also weighing the food in your GI track.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It all depends on which scale you used to first measure yourself.

If the gym scale is 7 pounds different - wouldn't that mean the gym scale would have given you a starting weight 7 pounds higher than the home scale?
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use different scales know that not all are the same. Just like clothing sizes.
    terbusha wrote: »
    It doesn't matter which one, just be consistent with which one you weigh in with.

This.
  • Tjs8819
    Tjs8819 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Vetticus_3 wrote: »
    It all depends on which scale you used to first measure yourself.

If the gym scale is 7 pounds different - wouldn't that mean the gym scale would have given you a starting weight 7 pounds higher than the

First time using gym scale was yesterday so I don't know what I would have initially weighed
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    TIA. Just choose one and stay with that.

I'm always 3-4 pounds heavier on the scales at a doctor's appointment. OTOH, it is likely later in the day, I've eaten, and I'm fully dressed.