Is Bread fattening regardless of your calorie intake?

Options
So apparently bread is extremely fattening regardless of it being brown or white because the body stores carbs as fat. What if you continue to eat bread but keep your calorie count at 1200 calories a day, would you still gain weight because you ate bread.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    No bread is not fattening, excess bread is fattening, just like excess fruits are fattening and excess meats r fattening. If it's fits your calories, eat it
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    itsLuciaxo wrote: »
    So apparently bread is extremely fattening regardless of it being brown or white because the body stores carbs as fat. What if you continue to eat bread but keep your calorie count at 1200 calories a day, would you still gain weight because you ate bread.

Who told you that complete nonsense?
  • itsLuciaxo
    itsLuciaxo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No bread is not fattening, excess bread is fattening, just like excess fruits are fattening and excess meats r fattening. If it's fits your calories, eat it
    How many slices a day would be considered excess?

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How many slices a day would be considered excess?

However many it would take you to eat over your maintenance calories.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Body stores excess "calories" as fat regardless of source. Lots of countries rely on bread as a main food source and don't have the weight issues that the US does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So true, but it seems as if we just over the top.
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

No, no and a thousand times more no. Your body doesn't store carbs as fat, it breaks them down to glycogen and sends that to muscles for use and storage. Excess of any of the macro groups will cause eventual fat storage regardless of where it came from (something to remember is that there is protein and fat in bread as well as carbohydrate)

Your body doesn't know where the excess fat, protein or carbs came from and it doesn't care. If there are more calories in your system than needed then they'll be stored for later use - and body fat is the storage method.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of bread. I have very little fat. Which is more likely? That I defy science or that what someone told you about bread is complete nonsense? You choose.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are "carbs". We don't see anyone calling them "fattening". Just eat your bread and stick to your calorie budget and you should be fine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Is Bread fattening regardless of your calorie intake?

Nope.

You can eat all the bread you want as long as you stay within your calorie limit.

I try to have one or two pieces a day.
  • ImReady67
    ImReady67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this question was asked. I'm just getting started and entered all the foods I ate yesterday and discovered I'm not eating enough. I was staying away from bread, but will now add it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "Fattening" is a meaningless term. All foods are "fattening" in the right quantities.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

No.

Absolutely nothing wrong with bread, just make it fit within your calorie goals.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    "Fattening" is a meaningless term. All foods are "fattening" in the right quantities.

This, so much.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options

not if you dont go over your cal count. I gave up bread aloooonggg time ago like 2 years, but when i do get tempted i always try for a wheat or a nutragran
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

No particular food is fattening. Energy (calories) in excess of what you need is fattening. The biggest thing with bread is that it tends to be pretty energy (calorie) dense for what you're actually getting volume wise.

When people refer to certain foods as fattening, that's basically what they mean...they are high in calories for a particular serving. i.e. a decent slice of cake which is going to offer me very little in the way of satiety or nutrients can easily be as calorie dense as my lunch today of 1 cup of cooked quinoa with 4 ounces of grilled chicken and three ounces of broccoli...but of course, cake is good so sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

But no food is inherently fattening, it all comes down to hitting your calorie targets for the day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

No...
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No single food is inherently fattening.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    glad this question was asked and addressed properly. :)