Scales: To use or not to use?

Options
Hi,

A couple of years ago I lost 45lbs and was very skinny. (I don't use that term lightly but I was classified as underweight when I finished my weight loss journey) I did this using the number on the scales. Fast forward two years and I gained it all back and then some (safe to say I learnt some valuable lessons about how to lose weight healthily, aka you starve yourself, you put it all back on).

I have currently lost 25lbs healthily and doing lots of different types of exercise but now the scales are saying I'm going back up (only by half a lb) but my body definitely feels very different. My clothes fit better and I have muscle tone in my stomach. Shall I carry on using my scales or now go for measurements or something else?? I hate that soul destroying feeling when I have stayed on plan, burnt loads of calories in the gym and go up?? (I did compare a picture of me now and a picture of me on my previous weight loss journey at the same weight and to me I look different, my body looks different but it could just be in my head.)

Honest answers please, I can always trust MFP to tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear.

Thanks!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Bit of a waste of time of you ask me. A bit obsessive. Just overestimate when you need to.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Bit of a waste of time of you ask me. A bit obsessive. Just overestimate when you need to.

Did you even read the post?

OP, you don't have to use the scale; I find it doesn't tell the whole story. I do choose to weigh myself using a scale, but I also measure and take photos. I find that gives a much better perspective than just the scale. And yes, you can rationalize changes you see in the mirror, so I recommend pictures that you can compare side by side.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you are fit, in good shape (muscle tone and development), and lean, the number on the scale is not very important. Like you said, you have ab definition showing. You're in great shape! Don't focus on the scale. Also, our weight bounces around from day to day due to several factors, so don't get bogged down in small fluctuations. For example, I ate some salty food yesterday and was up over a lb from yesterday morning. No worries though because the 4 week trend of my weight is decreasing. What you'll want to keep track of is your overall progress over the past month. Are you maintaining or is it moving in a direction. Also, body measurements and progress pics are much better indicators of progress when you're pretty lean.

If you feel good, perform good, and look good, you're doing great!
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself personally, even if I go up I like being able to see which direction I'm moving in and then reevaluate the choices I've made that led me there. However, I'm usually able to see the scale fluctuate and not get too discouraged about it. Its important to remember that the scale goes up and down for many different reasons and is not always accurate. Not to be blunt, I think if you are fretting over half a pound scales maybe aren't right for you at the moment. If thats the case I would suggest sticking to measurements and evaluating how you feel and look, then maybe using the scale once a month or so to get an idea of how much you've lost.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people can be obsessive and want to hop on the scale every day. Especially when they start a exercise and healthy life style. Chose to weight in once a week to keep in check...but also measure yourself and check that every other week. Muscle weighs more then fat, having a menstrual cycle can make you retain water, there are all kinds of factors that can change that scale. Like Terbusha said...you have muscle tone in your abs? Good for you!!!!! That is clear cut sign that you are doing exactly what you are suppose to do! keep up the great work!
  • gold5002009
    gold5002009 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not to be blunt, I think if you are fretting over half a pound scales maybe aren't right for you at the moment. If thats the case I would suggest sticking to measurements and evaluating how you feel and look, then maybe using the scale once a month or so to get an idea of how much you've lost.

You're not being blunt at all, like i said, I value honesty from people. It's the kindest thing to do in the long run.

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I appreciate every one :)

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself personally, even if I go up I like being able to see which direction I'm moving in and then reevaluate the choices I've made that led me there. However, I'm usually able to see the scale fluctuate and not get too discouraged about it. Its important to remember that the scale goes up and down for many different reasons and is not always accurate. Not to be blunt, I think if you are fretting over half a pound scales maybe aren't right for you at the moment. If thats the case I would suggest sticking to measurements and evaluating how you feel and look, then maybe using the scale once a month or so to get an idea of how much you've lost.

I agree. If you find that you are obsessing about the number on the scale, you would do better using it for an occasional marker rather than a regular tool.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I've seen others post on here about how they only weigh weekly, once a month or not at all. I prefer to weigh daily but only count what I weigh on Mondays each week. I just like to see overall fluctuations and what not. Not everyone does the same thing. :)

I do suggest measuring yourself. I wish I had done that when I first started out. I've lost 20 lbs so far and notice inches are gone now but not sure how much because I have nothing to compare it to.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Oh, and using a trend website/app for tracking weight can be helpful too; it averages out weight trends instead of looking at the minor blips and fluctuations. I use trendweight which "talks" directly to fitbit, but there are several available.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can navigate this in one of two ways:
    - ditch the scale for now and go by how you look and feel
    - weigh in every day and plot your result in a trend weight app to de-synthesize yourself to the daily changes (which vary by up to 5 pounds by the way). This method is hard, but will allow you to face this problem and build a healthier mindset about it. However, it might be too early for you to work on this and you might fall into an unhealthy pattern.

You know yourself best, so you will need to decide if you need to put this on the backburner and focus on other things or tackle it now.