Best clean way to gain weight without getting a pot belly

Options
What's the best way to gain weight at a fast rate without developing a pot belly. I'm 6ft2 and weight 11 and a half stone.

Thanks.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You don't. You go at a slow pace and exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Slow surplus + weight training = minimal fat gains. Big surplus + weight training = more fat gains. The food you eat, has nothing to do the fat gains.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Slow surplus + weight training = minimal fat gains. Big surplus + weight training = more fat gains. The food you eat, has nothing to do the fat gains.

Exactly. Bulk smart and you'll put on minimal fat while gaining mass. There is an equilibrium to be found where you're eating the perfect surplus to do this. Bulking is a lot more than shoveling food into your mouth.
  • d_nadal
    d_nadal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You need to a the very least start doing push ups, pull ups and squats or leg workouts as well as a healthy diet with plenty of fish, meat, poultry... If you don't train you won't be putting weight on where you want it. Plus your really tall.. The pull-ups will def help broaden your back and shoulders. I recommended at least 3 times a week 100 push ups , 100 pull-ups and a 100 squats. I guarantee you in 30 days you'll see big changes
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    d_nadal wrote: »
    You need to a the very least start doing push ups, pull ups and squats or leg workouts as well as a healthy diet with plenty of fish, meat, poultry... If you don't train you won't be putting weight on where you want it. Plus your really tall.. The pull-ups will def help broaden your back and shoulders. I recommended at least 3 times a week 100 push ups , 100 pull-ups and a 100 squats. I guarantee you in 30 days you'll see big changes

That's not a good program my friend... A proper program with planned progression will get you MUCH further than doing X number of A,B,C workout. Plus, once you get over 15 reps of the same exercise, it is no longer focusing on strength or hypertrophy(size) but muscular endurance. See Chart Here. If your goal is to do the most number of pushups, bodyweight squats, and pull ups, then sure go for it.

But if you want to bring your max bench and squat weight up, there are much better and more efficient ways of doing it. If you want to look good and build strength, then select a strength and hypertrophy (bodybuilding) program.

To answer OP's question, you need to eat at a caloric surplus of +500 calories a day for 1lb of weight gain per week. You do this while lifting to maximize muscle gains, but you do gain some fat as well. If you are worried about that, dial it back to +250calories a day for 0.5lbs gained per week. The main thing is that you lift while doing it, so that you are fuelling your growing muscles and not just fat deposits around your body.