Why can't I do push ups?

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
So I've looked up good form etc online but still can't physically push myself down in a push up its like my arms are locked in place and won't budge - what am I doing wrong??

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So you are starting from the top "plank" position and can not descend to the bottom?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Can you do wall push-ups? Basically standing at the wall, putting your hands on the wall, and doing a push-up motion?
  • d_nadal
    d_nadal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should get in the push up position while on your knees first.. Put something down on the ground where you want your hands to go so that your even. The closer together the eaiser it will be for you. Just breath in going down and then exhale on your way up. Keeping your body stiff and just bending your arms.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    So you are starting from the top "plank" position and can not descend to the bottom?

Yep
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Can you do wall push-ups? Basically standing at the wall, putting your hands on the wall, and doing a push-up motion?

Yep but it's hard work on my shoulders
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    d_nadal wrote: »
    You should get in the push up position while on your knees first.. Put something down on the ground where you want your hands to go so that your even. The closer together the eaiser it will be for you. Just breath in going down and then exhale on your way up. Keeping your body stiff and just bending your arms.

I can do that, still hurts my shoulders though - maybe I'm just really weak?!!
  • J72FIT
    edited April 2016
    Options
    IMO it is a matter of strength. You have to progress to a regular pushup. D_nada is right. Start on your knees and see if that helps...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »

You feel pain in your shoulders when trying of a wall?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)
  • Kdp2015
    Options

Between my shoulders feels tight/sore when my elbows are out

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Don't train them from your knees, use something under your hands so that your plank is on an incline. Start high if you really can't do them, like kitchen counter, and just learn to do the movements with your body held in the right position, then move to a lower incline until you are doing them on the ground. Keep your elbows tight to your body.
    This is a good video on progressing to full pushups.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4dF1DOWzf20
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If it's causing pain with your "elbows out" try keeping them closer to your side. It isn't exactly the same muscle group but it won't really matter that much. It allows you a bit more "bounce" when doing multiples as you get better at it. That was always the military trick to knocking them out as quickly as possible.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Don't train them from your knees, use something under your hands so that your plank is on an incline. Start high if you really can't do them, like kitchen counter, and just learn to do the movements with your body held in the right position, then move to a lower incline until you are doing them on the ground. Keep your elbows tight to your body.

this. holding the plank is as important as the actual push up.

Hands under your armpits and elbows tight to your ribs.

• Kdp2015
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Thank you that helped, now I just need him in the room with me...
  • jtolman619
    jtolman619 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I can do pushups on my knees just fine, but I can't seem to do them on my toes.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    jtolman619 wrote: »
    I have the same problem! I can do pushups on my knees just fine, but I can't seem to do them on my toes.

You're a step ahead of me then! :):)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Most females try to push from the shoulders rather than from the chest. Hand placement matters here and usually the hands are too far forward, which is why the shoulders are taking the brunt of the exercise. When doing a push up, the hands should be in line with your chest and not your shoulders.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Between my shoulders feels tight/sore when my elbows are out

Well, your elbows shouldn't be flared out for a proper push-up, so there's one issue. Keep your elbows closer to your body when you do it. Not against your body (that's a tricep push-up), but like this:

latest?cb=20141122161108

My guess it's a matter of strength - you're not strong enough to push your body weight off the floor. You can start with wall push-ups, then do them on the floor off of your knees, and then progress to a full push-up.

A push-up is mainly a chest movement. Focus less on your shoulders and more on your pectoral muscles. That "mind-muscle connection" and all that.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone