When eating healthy feels worse.....

Options
I don't know how many people have run into this, but I am having a hard time getting through this first little bit. The last time I started to lose weight (about 6 months ago) it was really hard to get through the first few weeks, then I got injured. In the past I have had severe headaches when I cut back on sugar and junk. Like to the point of having headaches everyday for over a month. I know it takes time to re-regulate, but how do you get through over a month of headaches, feeling hungry (despite good water intake), and being incredibly busy working shift work.

And before you all say it, no I am not undereating, I have my calories set to over 1900 per day and I eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I just want to make sure I get through it this time, I can't stay this way any longer.

Replies

• lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    have you gone to see your doctor? Maybe something is wrong medically
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you know that you really struggled last time, do things differently. I would highly suggest a taper on your sugar/caffeine if you were struggling with headaches for so long before. You would still be making a great move towards a healthier lifestyle and you would be more apt to stick with it because you wouldn't be suffering every day. Slow and steady wins the race.

If I had to give up coffee (which I drink a ton of every day) I would be miserable and have such a hard time sticking with any diet/exercise plan.

Wishing you the best!
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many people have run into this, but I am having a hard time getting through this first little bit. The last time I started to lose weight (about 6 months ago) it was really hard to get through the first few weeks, then I got injured. In the past I have had severe headaches when I cut back on sugar and junk. Like to the point of having headaches everyday for over a month. I know it takes time to re-regulate, but how do you get through over a month of headaches, feeling hungry (despite good water intake), and being incredibly busy working shift work.

And before you all say it, no I am not undereating, I have my calories set to over 1900 per day and I eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I just want to make sure I get through it this time, I can't stay this way any longer.
    I remember going through junk withdrawal.
    I am not saying this is you, but I remember my early reactions well. It's possible that our bodies get used to what we pour into it. When anything changes, our bodies freak out.
    That's not science...just my experience and opinion. Today, the opposite is true. When I consume processed junk food or drink a diet soda, I feel subtle negative changes in my body.
    Some like to pretend that all food is equal, but for optimal health and peak fitness, it matters what we eat.
    I could never have achieved my goals eating nutritionally deficient foods.
    Good Luck to you!
  • noon1200
    noon1200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Is one of the things you cut out caffeinated soda? The headaches could be from caffeine withdrawal -- switch to diet soda or black coffee.
  • tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    noon1200 wrote: »
    Is one of the things you cut out caffeinated soda? The headaches could be from caffeine withdrawal -- switch to diet soda or black coffee.

I don't drink soda at all really, that isn't hard to cut out. I do drink juice, but usually real stuff. I am trying to wean myself off high sugar caffeinated drinks, but I don't like coffee much by itself yet. I work shift work so going without caffeine some nights is not an option.
  • tkdchick2016
    Options
    Stress is a factor, but it's more a factor in that I plan everything out but then I get tired and busy and the plan goes to hell because I just feel crappy. Or I put off planning and rush just to do what I need to do. I guess I need some more willpower.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you consider carbohydrates to be unhealthy? If so, are you cutting them drastically? Because that's what it sounds like to me. And by the by, carbohydrates aren't inherently unhealthy...there are actually a lot of really nutritious sources of carbohydrates.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who mentioned caffeine. If a lot of your sugar comes from caffeinated soda and chocolate or coffee then that could be the cause of your headaches. For me I usually have 3 types of headache, sinus (which is not diet related), caffeine withdrawal and dehydration. If you are sure you are drinking enough water you might consider cutting tapering off your caffeine and not just going cold turkey. But there is no reason to completely cut out sugar. Maybe try having one small soda a day (I always drink my 2 cups of coffee with 2 tsp of sugar and 2 tbsp half and half every day) or one piece of good dark chocolate a day. As long as it fits in your calorie goal you can have occasional "junk" food.
  • tkdchick2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Do you consider carbohydrates to be unhealthy? If so, are you cutting them drastically? Because that's what it sounds like to me. And by the by, carbohydrates aren't inherently unhealthy...there are actually a lot of really nutritious sources of carbohydrates.

I do not consider them to be unhealthy. Just trying to get most of my carbs from better sources than chips and bread. I have my diary set to 50% carbs and today I pre-logged my food and am within 25g of the goal set for me.
  • tkdchick2016
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I agree with those who mentioned caffeine. If a lot of your sugar comes from caffeinated soda and chocolate or coffee then that could be the cause of your headaches. For me I usually have 3 types of headache, sinus (which is not diet related), caffeine withdrawal and dehydration. If you are sure you are drinking enough water you might consider cutting tapering off your caffeine and not just going cold turkey. But there is no reason to completely cut out sugar. Maybe try having one small soda a day (I always drink my 2 cups of coffee with 2 tsp of sugar and 2 tbsp half and half every day) or one piece of good dark chocolate a day. As long as it fits in your calorie goal you can have occasional "junk" food.

I don't have a problem with sugary drinks except the caffeinated ones (like specialty coffees), I can even give up juice. I don't like black coffee, so in order to not cut it out completely (I can't do that I would just not function) I either have to put half hot chocolate (70 cal compared to 310 cal so not too bad) or 2-3 sugar (or stevia) and like 1/4 cup of milk lol It's hard because sometimes I just want the delicious taste with my caffeine fix.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you don't like coffee have you tried tea? I know the caffeine is a little lower and some people find it bitter, but I find it much less bitter than coffee. I like mine with lots of lemon and it helps with the flavor. That might help if your headaches are caffeine related. You can start out with a little sugar and wean yourself off.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep?
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I am going to try offering some different ideas on the headaches or at least ask questions to get you thinking. Just some random thoughts. Shift work - is it new, longer, different time? Are you standing in one place for a long time or focused on one small thing? Make sure your shoes have good support and padding, watch your posture, try to stretch out/shake out muscles for a couple of minutes every hour, while stretching look around focusing on different distances to minimize eye fatigue, stand on something softer than concrete (various mats/pads are available depending on the type of shift work). Sleep -quality and quantity. How are they? Food - are your carbs all at once or spread out? When you reduced your carbs did you just lower what your were eating or did you substitute NEW lower carb foods? If it's new, it could be a food sensitivity or allergy. Do your headaches come randomly during the day or is there some relation to meal times (either before or after)? Are the headaches predictable?

If they are that bad, start talking to your doctor
  • tkdchick2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will definitely try some of the suggestions! I think I am hesitant to try again because last time I ended up in the ER for a battery of tests (because the headaches wouldn't go away) and despite undergoing numerous tests including sinus x-rays and blood tests, being in the ER for 8 hours on IV anti-inflammatories and fluids I still left the ER with a headache and they found nothing. Will just have to adjust the way I change things I guess.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    noon1200 wrote: »

I don't drink soda at all really, that isn't hard to cut out. I do drink juice, but usually real stuff. I am trying to wean myself off high sugar caffeinated drinks, but I don't like coffee much by itself yet. I work shift work so going without caffeine some nights is not an option.

If you are cutting down on caffiene quite a bit it could be contributing to the way you are feeling. Maybe cut back more gradually.
    Maybe try some teas while you are cutting back on coffee. There are lots of different flavors and many taste great without added sweeteners or milk. My dh used to be a coffee drinker. He switched to drinking rooibos tea.