Clothing and weight loss

RespectTheKitty
RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've lost enough weight now where my current clothes are too big, however, I still have a ways to go before I hit my goal. I want to get clothes that fit, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on stuff that won't fit me in a couple months as I continue to lose weight. But I also don't want to be in ill-fitting clothing for months while I wait to hit my goal.

How do you handle the "in-between" stages with clothing?

Replies

• Fancyedit
    Fancyedit Posts: 243 Member
    Have you thought about getting some of the clothes you currently have tailored? I have done that and it saves a ton of money! If you can get a skirt taken in for 10-12.00 that's much cheaper than purchasing new.. There is also consignment shops you can sell your old and get some new (well used) as well! Good Luck to you! :smile:
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    I am also in this predicament. I've been shopping at a local thrift store for my clothes. I can't bring myself to buy full-price clothes when I know I have another 50 pounds to lose, so I'll be hitting up the thrift store until I reach goal. I've generally been waiting until I look in the mirror and say "these clothes look ridiculous" before going to buy more, but that's just because I hate clothes shopping. :joy:
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    she_lived_wholly_forevermore Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2016
    I was getting hand me downs from my sisters for awhile but now she refuses to share because she thinks I'm skinnier than her now ugh. I love thrift stores and the varagesale app now.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    I wear belts with pants that have loops. I put up with "hiking up" my pants and have even been known to use a stealth binder clip at the waist to make them a bit tighter (I only do this when I'm wearing a jacket or a long top).

I actually have a stack of pants that USED to fit me, and I'm about 5 pounds away from being able to wear some of them again. At that point, I have two pairs of pants in particular that will be donated so that I don't even have them anymore.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Consignment stores! You can find some really great stuff in consignment stores.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    I'm a competitive bodybuilder and a fat loser (-110lbs) and went through this on the initial stages of my journey and go through it annually between competitive seasons. I tend to purchase items that are scalable in my closet, such as leggings and tank tops and then have a variety of tops to go over the tanks that fit me regardless of my weight (generally a bit baggier, but still classy and acceptable). I also wear a lot of hoodies or suit jackets (depending on the day).

I REALLY struggled with this when I lost my initial 60lbs and ended up needing to buy a small interim wardrobe of neutral(ish) items that I could dress up or down depending on shoes and whatnot. I love the idea of thrift store shopping - it's a cash saver - and I was also a hand-me-down hoarder. If someone had it to give away, I was willing to take it if it fit at the time (especially jeans!!).

Congratulations on your success so far and good luck with your upcoming goals!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I shopped at places like Winners.

Keep in mind a size up from what I wear now isn't bad esp in the winter....for example pants I can fit tights under when it's cold.

Shirts I got cheap at places like walmart aka Tshirts etc.

the only thing I found difficult were bras...they can be expensive...so I bought them on sale and replaced as needed.

the only other thing was undies...expensive to replace so again cheap ones for the mid term.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Great ideas here. Thank you!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    buy cheap at this point...not sure where you live and what your options are but stores like old navy, TJ Max, Marshalls, target and sale racks pretty much everywhere are good options for some basics to carry you through your journey!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Thrift/consignment stores.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    I use ebay. I will go try stuff on in store to get sizes then look on ebay for it.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I find dresses fit nicely for a longer time than pants . . .

Also, some friends and I recently went to a giant clothing swap hosted at a bar recently. You could take as many articles of clothing (or shoes/accessories) as you brought, and anything leftover was donated to local charities. You could try a similar, small-scale swap with friends if some of you are close to being the same size.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I've lost enough weight now where my current clothes are too big, however, I still have a ways to go before I hit my goal. I want to get clothes that fit, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on stuff that won't fit me in a couple months as I continue to lose weight. But I also don't want to be in ill-fitting clothing for months while I wait to hit my goal.

How do you handle the "in-between" stages with clothing?

My clothes are fairly casual.
    I got some new tops and underwear. I wear the same sweaters and jackets though because I don't mind those being a bit looser. I'm still wearing a lot of the same pants, shorts and skirts because my hip measurement didn't change much and the waists were stretchy. I had clothes that were too tight that now I can wear again.

I think it kind of depends on the clothes you wear. A dress might be something you could wear longer and just add a belt. Something like leggings might fit longer. There are videos on you tube about altering clothes yourself.
  • moniyq1994
    moniyq1994 Posts: 11 Member
    also if you have a sewing machine or a friend who has one (and is maybe willing to do it for you) taking in and alternating your current clothes can be really easy and sometimes fun. For example a t-shirt that is two or three sizes too big can be turned into a tank top. In this regard YouTube will become your best-friend.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Goodwill is where I buy 80-90% of my clothes.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Until I hit goal I try to get by on as few pieces as possible. Consider looking at minimalist (and capsule) wardrobe blogs - they've got good ideas for getting by with a bare minimum of items.

Also check Pinterest for styling ideas. You can reinvigorate a wardrobe by wearing pieces differently. Belting, tucking, etc. During this journey focus on making your outfit interesting with accessories so your essential pieces (trousers, etc.) can be pretty generic and scalable to lots of situations.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    I have been buying as little as I can to get by. I shop Goodwill, thrift stores, consignment stores, Ross, Marshall's and the clearance racks of the major department stores. We also have a Dillard's outlet nearby, which can sometimes be a treasure trove of cheap, well made clothing.

I also try to size down in pants by concentrating on stretch fabrics and elastic waists. I am losing in an apple shape, so my waist is larger in proportion to my legs. I buy stretchy pants that are really a bit snug in waist, but fit my legs better. This allows me to wear them longer, as they start to fit my waist better, the legs will be a bit loose, but I can go with that for a while.
  • SarahJeanine1
    SarahJeanine1 Posts: 78 Member
    If you have lots of pants without belt loops, I've also made them work with my left over maternity band (just a stretchy fabric you put over pants when you are first pregnant). I've found the band also works to keep too-big pants up for now. I have a black one (you can get them cheap at target/walmart) that looks like a black tank top if anyone sees it under your shirt.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    I try to shop thrift stores and end of season sales. The DAV I like is closing so they have everything 50% off right now. I bought a dress and two skirts on Sunday and spent less than $8 and they were all department store brands. I'm 5'11" so that makes finding pants at thrift stores a little harder but when I do find longer pants I'll buy them even if they're a size smaller than I currently wear so I'm covered for the next couple of sizes. Like someone else suggested, I find that skirts and dresses take longer to start looking too big. And I didn't get rid of all of my "skinny" clothes so I can also shop in my basement as I get smaller!