Thoughts on Juicing?

Options
I am twenty years old, and I am trying to eat healthier, and loose only about ten pounds before summer. Being in college, juicing is a fast easy way for me to eat healthy and gain nutrients to stay fit, healthy and get the nutrients I cannot get in college dining.

Any general suggestions?
Any suggestions on what I can do with the left over pulp?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've juiced. Gave me headaches. I need fiber, fat, and protein along with fructose.

Now I have smoothies:

28g3zcgpk5jz.png

I add about 1.5 cups of tea for the liquid. Makes about three cups.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of healthy options in the dining hall, you just have to find them. Personally, I couldn't go without solid food for more than a day or so before getting hangry
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't like juicing. You remove the fiber and nutrients found in the skin and are left with just the sugar. Like the poster above me, smoothies are the way to go in my opinion. You retain all of the fiber and nutrients that way. If smoothies are too thick for your liking, you can add water to thin it out.

I make a green smoothie with spinach, green Apple, ginger, cucumber, banana, and kiwi. I add about a liter of water and if it's too bland or watered down you can add a little more fruit. The consistency is like juice.

If you're set on juicing, you can always compost the pulp.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You aren't getting a bunch of nutrients through juicing. Just some vitamins and sugar. If you want to drink your calories, a smoothy would be a better option. I prefer to eat, but that's just my personal preference.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You aren't getting a bunch of nutrients through juicing. Just some vitamins and sugar. If you want to drink your calories, a smoothy would be a better option. I prefer to eat, but that's just my personal preference.

^^This.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying juice from time to time, if you like it. However, there is nothing magical about it, and it's not healthier than eating whole fruits and vegetables.

The only "juice" I drink is wine. I don't like to drink my calories, since food fills me up so much more.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

^^This.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying juice from time to time, if you like it. However, there is nothing magical about it, and it's not healthier than eating whole fruits and vegetables.

The only "juice" I drink is wine. I don't like to drink my calories, since food fills me up so much more.

Me, too!!!!!!

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I juice!!!!

Limes.

Into my rita or corona.
    As for meal replacement? No.
    As for meal supplementation? Sure!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I juice!!!!

Limes.

Into my rita or corona.
    As for meal replacement? No.
    As for meal supplementation? Sure!

I also juice for my gin and tonics.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I am twenty years old, and I am trying to eat healthier, and loose only about ten pounds before summer. Being in college, juicing is a fast easy way for me to eat healthy and gain nutrients to stay fit, healthy and get the nutrients I cannot get in college dining.

Any general suggestions?

I just eat the whole food. I don't do smoothies either. I don't find drinking my calories to be as satisfying as chewing plus it is faster and easier to just eat it.
    If you are looking for fast and easy then why would you mess around with a juicer or blender?
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Any general suggestions?
    Juicing changed my health.
    It's how I get veggies...and I just blend some of the pulp back...or as was mentioned...into a smoothie.
    Also, we bake breads with some of the pulp or add it to various sauces.
    My juicing today was banana, apple, tomato, kale and carrots blended with greek yogurt.
    I drink one with every meal which today was pork chops and brown rice.

It sure beats the heck out of KFC when it comes to health and overall wellness.
  • lizziexboredom
    Options
    There's also the risk that when you drink your calories, you aren't always as conscious of it. Same goes whether it's a juice or smoothie. It's easy to chug seven oranges worth of juice. Having that on top of more food is an easy way to go way over calories (and sugar and carbs if you monitor those)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Any general suggestions?
    It's how I get veggies...and I just blend some of the pulp back...or as was mentioned...into a smoothie.
    My juicing today was banana, apple, tomato, kale and carrots blended with greek yogurt.

But there is a whole range of options between KFC and juicing. You could also, like, eat some vegetables.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I don't like juicing. You remove the fiber and nutrients found in the skin and are left with just the sugar. Like the poster above me, smoothies are the way to go in my opinion. You retain all of the fiber and nutrients that way. If smoothies are too thick for your liking, you can add water to thin it out.

I make a green smoothie with spinach, green Apple, ginger, cucumber, banana, and kiwi. I add about a liter of water and if it's too bland or watered down you can add a little more fruit. The consistency is like juice.

If you're set on juicing, you can always compost the pulp.

Oh, thanks, I edited my post to reflect that I add about 1.5 cups of tea for the liquid.
  • lizziexboredom
    edited April 2016
    Options

Any general suggestions?

But there is a whole range of options between KFC and juicing. You could also, like, eat some vegetables.

Right. If the choices are KFC vs juice, I don't think any reasonable person would argue against juice. However that's comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended). There's a myriad of foods in between orange juice and crispy chicken, many of which offer more nutritional value than a glass of juice.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    A lifetime ago I was married to a man who was a juicing true believer. The concoctions he coerced me to drink were vile, truly vile. The sheer waste of the enterprise really bothered me, too.

I've seen no evidence juicing delivers nutrients in a better way. It is, however, messy, generally unpalatable and majorly wasteful. I'll pass.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Any general suggestions?

Right. If the choices are KFC vs juice, I don't think any reasonable person would argue against juice. However that's comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended). There's a myriad of foods in between orange juice and crispy chicken, many of which offer more nutritional value than a glass of juice.
    For me the value of juicing is the ability to get what I need fast given that I just won't eat veggies any other way. Now, I load up, but if you're doing something that works, that's great.
    My fast food alternatives are KFC, Burger King and any place with a drivethru.
    That was my life in times past. Juicing/smoothies with a meal offers a great alternative for those who want fast, sound nutrition.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Any general suggestions?

I think that, long-term, a diet of just KFC might be better for you than just juice. I'm not saying KFC is ideal, but you would have the option of choosing things like grilled chicken, salads, green beans, and baked beans (in addition to the stuff we usually associate with the place) to put together meals that could get you somewhat close to calorie and macro-nutrient goals. While juicing would be low calorie, it would be difficult to meet protein and fat goals. And it would be difficult, I imagine, to get enough calories to really thrive.

Again, nobody is realistically choosing between the two. And most people who juice are supplementing with it, not consuming 100% juice. But if those are the two options, I think the person choosing KFC might have a better time of it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's too much of a hassle to me. A smoothie is much easier to me.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Any general suggestions?

I would chose the KFC, personally. A KFC diet would be far healthier and more balanced than a diet of juice alone.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I need to chew my calories. I drink water.
    Juicing would never work for me.