Thoughts on Juicing?

Options
2»

Replies

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am twenty years old, and I am trying to eat healthier, and loose only about ten pounds before summer. Being in college, juicing is a fast easy way for me to eat healthy and gain nutrients to stay fit, healthy and get the nutrients I cannot get in college dining.

Any general suggestions?
    Any suggestions on what I can do with the left over pulp?
    Juicing changed my health.
    It's how I get veggies...and I just blend some of the pulp back...or as was mentioned...into a smoothie.
    Also, we bake breads with some of the pulp or add it to various sauces.
    My juicing today was banana, apple, tomato, kale and carrots blended with greek yogurt.
    I drink one with every meal which today was pork chops and brown rice.

It sure beats the heck out of KFC when it comes to health and overall wellness.

But there is a whole range of options between KFC and juicing. You could also, like, eat some vegetables.

Right. If the choices are KFC vs juice, I don't think any reasonable person would argue against juice. However that's comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended). There's a myriad of foods in between orange juice and crispy chicken, many of which offer more nutritional value than a glass of juice.

I would chose the KFC, personally. A KFC diet would be far healthier and more balanced than a diet of juice alone.
    Juicing is not for everybody, and nobody should drink juice alone. That's nuts.
    My wife tasted one of my mixes, and her whole expression bent into a contorted mask of disgust...
    "You drink this?", she asked...
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I am twenty years old, and I am trying to eat healthier, and loose only about ten pounds before summer. Being in college, juicing is a fast easy way for me to eat healthy and gain nutrients to stay fit, healthy and get the nutrients I cannot get in college dining.

Any general suggestions?
    It's how I get veggies...and I just blend some of the pulp back...or as was mentioned...into a smoothie.
    My juicing today was banana, apple, tomato, kale and carrots blended with greek yogurt.

But there is a whole range of options between KFC and juicing. You could also, like, eat some vegetables.

Right. If the choices are KFC vs juice, I don't think any reasonable person would argue against juice. However that's comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended). There's a myriad of foods in between orange juice and crispy chicken, many of which offer more nutritional value than a glass of juice.

I would chose the KFC, personally. A KFC diet would be far healthier and more balanced than a diet of juice alone.

Ditto. Need the protein. And fiber. And fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I drink a low sodium V8 pretty much everyday...
  • liftzilla16
    liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to do this in addition to your regular diet, but I'd never replace my real meals with juicing. It's a great energy booster and will keep your energy flowing throughout the day, but IMO you won't get near enough nutrients to use it as a meal replacement.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Juice is not my thing. Way too sweet and I don't like to drink calories. The only exception I make is for ligonberry juice in the IKEA food court.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Any general suggestions?

Juicing is not for everybody, and nobody should drink juice alone. That's nuts.
    My wife tasted one of my mixes, and her whole expression bent into a contorted mask of disgust...
    "You drink this?", she asked...

People look at my smoothies and wonder what the heck I'm drinking. I think they don't find chia seeds floating around in a sea of greenish/brown visually appealing. I like the way it tastes, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my vegetables, with all the nice fiber and volume. Kale (and shallot and tomato) omelet this morning, big salad for lunch, fish and vegetables (and potatoes) for dinner is the plan. I have brussels and green beans, so probably those.

Back when I used to do smoothies occasionally, the visual was always the problem too. They tasted great (I just don't really like drinking calories vs. eating), but were always some unappealing color.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like to eat my vegetables, with all the nice fiber and volume. Kale (and shallot and tomato) omelet this morning, big salad for lunch, fish and vegetables (and potatoes) for dinner is the plan. I have brussels and green beans, so probably those.

Back when I used to do smoothies occasionally, the visual was always the problem too. They tasted great (I just don't really like drinking calories vs. eating), but were always some unappealing color.

Agreed. My husband drinks a green smoothie every morning and they look awful. They have kind of an off putting smell, too. They don't taste bad, but the color and smell are not pleasant for me.
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In fairness guys, when I said that a glass of juice might be more nutritionally sound than KFC, I wasn't talking about the grilled chicken and salad option lol. If we're talking about a one-off situation and all else being equal, a glass of green juice with spinach and other produce is going to be healthier then an extra crispy piece of chicken. I'm not saying long-term, I'm not saying for every meal, I'm just saying that if I have the choice one time to have KFC or a fresh glass of juice I think it makes more sense nutritionally to have the juice. I'm not really talking about meal supplementation in regards to juice, although I do make a smoothie my breakfast or even my lunch sometimes.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    In fairness guys, when I said that a glass of juice might be more nutritionally sound than KFC, I wasn't talking about the grilled chicken and salad option lol. If we're talking about a one-off situation and all else being equal, a glass of green juice with spinach and other produce is going to be healthier then an extra crispy piece of chicken. I'm not saying long-term, I'm not saying for every meal, I'm just saying that if I have the choice one time to have KFC or a fresh glass of juice I think it makes more sense nutritionally to have the juice. I'm not really talking about meal supplementation in regards to juice, although I do make a smoothie my breakfast or even my lunch sometimes.

It still depends on context.

If I'm missing protein and fat for the day, a piece of fried chicken is going to serve me better than some spinach juice.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Poop.