Anyone else have rescue cats?

Options

Replies

• JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Mine are rescue cats :)

Tycho is a manx mixed with something (they said Abyssinian, but who knows!). We got him from a foster program that rescued him from a high-kill shelter. He looks like a little bunny cat - he doesn't have a tail :)

Kepler is a maine coon and we brought him home from the animal shelter he'd been stuck in for over 3 months :( He looked kind of ugly and mean in his petfinder picture, but I'm so glad that my husband made me go check him out - he's such a loverboy!

IMG_0041-tile.jpg

This is Kepler's before and after:

photo+%284441%29.JPG
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Both of our cats are rescues from the shelter. One was 1 year old and in the hospital area due to an upper respiratory infection. She was a stray. The other was 3 years old and in a room with a bunch of other cats to socialize her due to hissing. We think she was given up and came from a cat home because she had a name, the shelter had her age on file, and she loves to hang around people. They have both turned out to be awesome.

They were not fond of each other at first, but they are best buddies now. They have plenty of room and places to lay and a nice cat tree, but they both cram themselves onto the kittie bed in front of the couch.

IMG_20130120_140533.jpg
    IMG_20130119_151005.jpg
    Furrever%2520Friends.jpg
    IMG_20130317_013524.jpg
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    I have been a cat lover all my life and every cat I have owned has been a rescue. My last cat Cleo was 15 when I got her. Her owner had passed and she was sent to a shelter. :frown: She was very scared and would not let anyone near her. I took a chance and adopted her. We spent the last 6 years of her life loving each other. I loved that cat so much that it was hard for me to even think about getting another, but two years later I saw Milo on craigslist. He was the last of a litter and was going to be taken to a kill shelter if not adopted. I fell in love with his sweet face and decided he had to be mine. Unfortunately by the time I called someone else had claimed him. :brokenheart: A week later his ad showed up again, the person that claimed him never showed up. I'm happy to say that Milo and I have been together for 6 years now. I also volunteer on the weekends at a dog and cat rescue.

How could I not fall for this cute little guy

1zb439h.jpg

4uatso.jpg

He has grown into a handsome guy

10d5atk.jpg
  • cgirly
    cgirly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here's my little cat Puddy.
    She is a rescue cat - her owner died when she was around 8 years old. She was very anxious and a real scaredy-cat when we got her. I think she is happy with us..... she wakes us up every morning with plenty of kneading and drool and taps us on the arm if she thinks we are not awake to play.

14d0up0.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I guess you could call them that... I have a cat that I adopted from the local chapter of the ASPCA and then another was a stray kitten that my SIL found... she didn't want her and well no one really did... but she was too cute so we told my MIL that if the cat was spade, then we would take her... and now we have her.

Love them both to pieces.
  • catmaster
    catmaster Posts: 34 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Someone rescue me? I'm nice.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Do I weigh cats before or after cooking?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

You've been here long enough, you should know the answer. duh B)
  • catmaster
    catmaster Posts: 34 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Depends, do you prefer hair or not.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The only thing my cat rescues is his bowl from being full. Lazy b@stard.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Smokey is my 14 year old senior rescue cat. He's a Russian blue. He knows exactly where to sit when I try to get things done (on what I need).

t7xjz8vk2s0r.jpeg
    wfcahcm9312g.jpeg
    mldlv9c5cq2j.jpeg
  • mscuriosity
    mscuriosity Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My Richter is a rescue. She has cerebellar hypoplasia, meaning she seems perma-drunk because her cerebellum is only partially developed. kn5po64tpvf7.jpeg
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    One rescue, which "replaced" another - I use that term loosely. The first rescue was such an amazing cat, but he became very sick within months of having him. After exploratory surgery (vet thought he swallowed a pin), the diagnosis came back FIP and we had to put him down.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    My current kitties I got from a friend's brother who's cat had kittens. Previously I have taken cats off the street where I used to live and just keep them. One of them was going to be left by his owner, who when I went to their door to ask if the kitty was theirs told me "keep him, he doesn't get along with our dog" which was bizarre because he got along great with my Rottweiler. Second cat I found outside was emaciated and tried to eat everything he saw. He grew to be a giant gentle cat who of course we named Lucky.
    I fed the feral cats in an apartment I used to live in and was threatened with eviction but I definitely have a gift with them. I worked at a shelter with them getting them used to humans so they could become adoptable. I never had a cat growing up but I am a total cat person now!

9il6b8ha02ks.jpeg
    These are my babies. Snicker and KitKat.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My girl cat was from a cat rescue place. They specialized in rescuing feral kittens but they never told me her story and it's hard to believe there is any feral cat in her recent background because she is a very naive cat when it comes to the outdoors. I don't think she'd last long. Luckily she never asks to go out so I don't feel bad keeping her in. She's my baby.

My boy cat was a stray who found me. I could tell he's had a home before because he was spayed and very friendly. He was a gorgeous cat and did very cute things to convince me to adopt another one! he's my buddy - always nearby.

Ive had the girl for 10 years now and the boy for 6 :)

• mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    2 of my kitties I rescued off the street. The first one, Annie, was abandoned across the street from my kids daycare and was always hanging out at the daycare, so I took her in, we've had her 4 years now. My other kitten, I just got him late Jan/early Feb (can't remember exactly), someone put a box of kittens and the mama outside a grocery store and someone in one of my local groups took them home and helped them find homes...mine being one of them. He had to have been no more than 2 months when we got him based on the vet's estimation.

I have an older cat who lives at my dad's warehouse now, my brother got him as a kitten and just left him with me when he moved away, but I took him everywhere with me until less than two years ago. He's 14 years old and we were moving overseas, and I was worried about him traveling and then being quarantined for what ended up being 3 weeks (how long my other cat was stuck in a kennel), so he stayed with my MIL for about a year, and he is now happily living with my dad who spoils him.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Our cat Meemo is what I call a rescue . Our daughters friend was leaving home for school and her parents didn't want Meemo anymore
    When we took her in she weighed a huge 32lbs and is now a svelt 18 vyfinqbnzuh0.jpeg
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I have two. I was kinda suckered into getting them both, because I only wanted one, but I wouldn't trade them. ;)

uf38s2w1adsp.jpg
  • jsskcat
    jsskcat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My cat Willow is a rescue cat. She was 2 years old when we adopted her and she had two previous owners. She is a total alpha control cat, I can relate. mkijs7aab3ur.jpg
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    My Castiel is a rescue! I just took this fabulous picture of him.

12987159_10154062771233516_332488085934097055_n.jpg?oh=acaa4db2e531fe176fd5b6c694b80fea&oe=5786105A