April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got in a good rest day yesterday, and just did 4 easy miles today with a neighbor as I was a bit worn out from lifting & biking. Trying to keep it easy this week going into Sunday's Ironman 70.3

4/1 - 0.5 mile (pre-lift warm-up)
    4/2 - 6.5 miles (speedwork - 6 x 5 min threshold/1 min rest)
    4/3 - 20 miles (8 super-easy, 7 easy, 5 mid-hard)
    4/5 - 4 miles

Total: 31 miles
    Goal: 160 miles
    Remaining: 129 miles

Upcoming races:
    4/10 - Ironman 70.3 Florida
    5/1 - Pittsburgh Marathon
    9/25 - Ironman 70.3 Augusta
    10/9 - Chicago Marathon (lottery TBD)
    11/5 - Ironman Florida
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since my March total was 127.72, my April goal is to beat that by at least 1 mile.

Good luck everyone!
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    clocked up another 3.1km :)

exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay, @brian_gunther and @CChen8520 for completing C25K!

You must feel so happy!

I know I was over the moon when I completed it in December. I recently ran 15K, so this could be you in a few months!

Keep reading and learning from the lovely people in this thread, and happy running!
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Date.........Miles..........Total
    1/4............Rest..............0
    2/4............Rest..............0
    3/4.............3.7..............3.7
    4/4.............3.0..............6.7
    5/4............Rest............6.7

6/4.............6.0.............12.7

A really hard run today, from the second I left my house I knew it was going to be hard. I still completed the distance I set out to do but I was constantly thinking about cutting it short. Feeling rather pleased with myself now for not giving up :)
  • Bawlerb
    Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    07KatieP13 wrote: »
    Date.........Miles..........Total
    1/4............Rest..............0
    2/4............Rest..............0
    3/4.............3.7..............3.7
    4/4.............3.0..............6.7
    5/4............Rest............6.7

6/4.............6.0.............12.7

A really hard run today, from the second I left my house I knew it was going to be hard. I still completed the distance I set out to do but I was constantly thinking about cutting it short. Feeling rather pleased with myself now for not giving up :)
    Great job 07Katie!!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yay Katie!
  • Bawlerb
    Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    April 1st 7.5km-61mins and -2'C - sore
    April 5th 9km-71mins and -1'C throat/chest cold
    Plan to complete 10km April 10th local race. Hard time with ticker-thing setup- sorry.

Emotionally proud I've persevered, physically sore and definitely brewing a cold or more!

Wishing everyone the ability to keep step'n forward!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @nicolemarie999 my daughter is 19 and athletic (although 2 years of architecture school have probably killed her endurance) - something like a color run, mud run or a tough mudder is too light.

I'm looking for something equivalent to 7 days of riding across Iowa, which is what her older sister did with me at 16. Push her to some limit and make it memorable 10 years later. The color runs and mud runs are great, it is what I'm planning with her little sisters (11 & 13 - YES 4 girls!) but don't have enough "umph" for us in this search.

So I guess I'm wondering about a multiday run with medium daily mileage. Something like Sandakphu 70 Mile Himalayan Race which is over 4 days (but only has 25 people in it). Or maybe something like the Double Half Mary+5 - 50 kms over 3 days in Nebraska. Nebraska is probably as "out of this world" for her as the Himalayas. Have any of you done these?

Anyway, the discussion has allowed me to refine my thoughts a little. Found a site that has a registered list of almost 300 multi day runs (http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/multiday) and we might find our target there.

Thankfully the younger ones still enjoy cycling - so they might eventually do RAGBRAI instead.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,104 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    Will be back later when I get today's miles done - the weather has got really wintery so it be a BLAST literally.

exercise.png

• smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Binzee1964
    Binzee1964 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Happened to be in the gym for a conditioning session and decided to have a little run as scheduled for tomorrow is only a short recovery run.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Super early morning mid-week 8 mile long run through the park today in off and on light rain. Strava said it was a night run, but I am pretty sure it was just early morning.:smile:

No flashlight again and I am so glad I did not take it. About 3/4 of a mile into the park I noticed something scurrying from my far right peripheral vision towards the path I was on. As I got a better look at it I could see it was a skunk!:grimace: His path and speed along with mine were on a collision course!:grimace: So I stopped dead in my tracks and he scurried on by just a few feet ahead of me and kept on going (whew). Had I been focused on keeping light ahead of me and not had my eyes adjusted to the dark I probably wouldn't have seen him coming and who knows what might have happened!

I also had some deer dart across the path a couple hundred feet ahead, their hooves clomping on the asphalt path alerted me to them. I couldn't see them anywhere once I got closer though.:smile:

After the turnaround point an owl landed in an as yet unbloomed tree just ahead and was watching me go by. He may have been wondering why the heck I was out there so early. I am pretty sure he would not have done that if I had a light.

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles

37/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    About the tendons and ligaments (and I'll add bone strength) taking longer to strengthen I'll proffer the advice I took about being new to running and thinking about future marathon training (or similar type mileage hopes). That advice was to not start marathon training or trying to go over 40 miles per week without having been running regularly for at least one year. The reason for that wait was specifically to build up those parts of the body.
  • aimeegibbins
    aimeegibbins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    totally up for joining this challenge! have to wait until I have recovered from my sprained ankle first though.
  • Net1968
    Net1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am only just signing up to this so I will set my challenge to 50km at a run/walk combination.
    Good luck!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon (MRI followup) and finally have a diagnosis: Os trigonum syndrome and a low-lying soleus muscle.

http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/os_trigonum_syndrome.htm

Basically, I have an extra bone in the back of my ankle that is causing an impingement. The impingement is also trapping my soleus muscle because it extends too far down into my ankle.

Starting with a conservative treatment of anti-inflammatory meds to reduce pain and swelling. The doc also banned me from Insanity, squats, lunges, and other plyometrics. I am, however, allowed to run!

Further treatment could include ultrasound-guided steroid injections to reduce inflammation and surgery to remove the extra bone and/or debulk the soleus muscle.

Well, that kind of stinks, but at least you have a diagnosis, which I'm sure is a relief and a huge step forward for you. Now they know what/how to treat! Best of luck. I'm glad you can still run!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    April

1-no run yet, maybe later
    2-13.2mi
    3-nothing
    4-nothing
    5-5.35
    6-yoga tonight

exercise.png

ticker isn't updating. grumble
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @shanaber and @nicolemarie999 my daughter is 19 and athletic (although 2 years of architecture school have probably killed her endurance) - something like a color run, mud run or a tough mudder is too light.

I'm looking for something equivalent to 7 days of riding across Iowa, which is what her older sister did with me at 16. Push her to some limit and make it memorable 10 years later. The color runs and mud runs are great, it is what I'm planning with her little sisters (11 & 13 - YES 4 girls!) but don't have enough "umph" for us in this search.

So I guess I'm wondering about a multiday run with medium daily mileage. Something like Sandakphu 70 Mile Himalayan Race which is over 4 days (but only has 25 people in it). Or maybe something like the Double Half Mary+5 - 50 kms over 3 days in Nebraska. Nebraska is probably as "out of this world" for her as the Himalayas. Have any of you done these?

Anyway, the discussion has allowed me to refine my thoughts a little. Found a site that has a registered list of almost 300 multi day runs (http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/multiday) and we might find our target there.

Thankfully the younger ones still enjoy cycling - so they might eventually do RAGBRAI instead.

My sister did a Double Half Mary in Nebraska a year or two ago, because it was local for her. I don't remember her mentioning a +5, but another 5 miles would make 50 kms. She described it as low volume, and used by a few serious runners to train for the Lincoln Marathon. The courses were out and backs on trails built on old railroad rights of way, one day north of Lincoln and another day south of Lincoln, I forget which was which. The shelters were local taverns that weren't very big. A charming, small community feel type of event. If you're not local, you probably want a motel in Lincoln and count on driving some distance of rural roads each day to get to the race.

If you're talking about a real multiday challenge, I saw a guy on another forum who did a couple of events that were 5 half marathons in 5 days in 5 states, because his bucket list includes running a half in all 50 states. I think one was Dust Bowl - states like OK, TX, AR and I forget which others; the other was some name like High Plains - NE, CO, WY, SD, and I forget whether it was MT or ND. You can probably find them doing a search for nationwide half marathons. Too much travel and logistical overhead for my taste.

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've just read several posts about people running in nice/warm/hot weather, and I just wanted to let you all know that I am super jealous of wherever you live right now. When I woke up at 5:00am, it was 18 degrees F (approximately -8 C). It is now 8:06am, and it is only 19 F. It's supposed to stay pretty much above freezing here by this point in the Spring, but no. Not this year. In contrast, it was in the 70s close to Christmas. I think the weather got a little confused and thinks Pennsylvania became part of the Southern Hemisphere or something.

It looks like there is a possibility that I will be running my 5K Saturday morning in snow and below-freezing temperatures. Not exactly the weather I had in mind for a mid-April race. It's a beer run at Yuengling's original brewery in Pottsville, PA that includes a beer garden and block party. I am certainly not forfeiting my beer, but it makes me wonder how many people will be sticking around after the race this year.