How much sugar

Options
Being type 2 diabetic I watch my sugar intake how much should I stick to a day x

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Don't you have guidelines from your dr? The usual advice is to start with carb counting per meal, aim for something like 40 per meal, and see how your body responds to adjust accordingly. So, like small serving of pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, or one serving of fruit per meal, experimenting to see how you respond to different types of carbs. If the question is how much added sugar, the usual answer, at least to start with, is none.
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I aim for 50% carbs 30% fat 20% protein. No added sugar, there's enough in food. Avoid processed foods, loads of sugar. According to Dr Mosely this reduces your blood sugar levels and it is working for me. Guidelines of 10k steps per day which I don't find easy myself. These guidelines are to reduce blood sugar levels and results in weight loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    fergie1404 wrote: »
    Being type 2 diabetic I watch my sugar intake how much should I stick to a day x

I would say you should be watching carbohydrates, not just sugar. White bread for example is a fast acting as sugar in terms of blood glucose levels. MFP's standard sugar goal should be ok as a maximum, but less may be better.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

This is Something that you need to get from your doctor.
  • fergie1404
    fergie1404 Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks folks I always check sugars and luckily levels are ok just wondered if there was a specific amount doc told me to try and keep about 6% per 100g
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks I always check sugars and luckily levels are ok just wondered if there was a specific amount doc told me to try and keep about 6% per 100g

Then you have your answer :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others said, talk to your doctor or, ideally, ask for a referral to a nutritionist who is also T2D certified. (And usually it's about carbs per meal and making sure the meal is balanced, from what I know from T2 friends.)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Also, consider visiting your library.
    There are shelves upon shelves of books on diabetes diets and cookbooks.
    Reading at night for 30 minutes can also help you relax.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Read about foods that are high on the Glycemic Index. Avoiding these foods has helped me keep my BS in check. Plus it helps with weight loss.