Why did I gain 3 pounds??

Options
I've been losing weight fairly steadily for quite a while, but then started stagnating a few weeks ago. I revamped my diet and have been eating significantly healthier and in range with my calorie goals. TO MY DISMAY, I went from 148 to 151 pounds! I wasn't worried about it for a while because I thought it just may have been water weight/fluctuations because of my 'monthly cycle', but its been more than a week and I am still stuck at 151. I have been working out just as much as I have before, and I've been eating LESS and eating HEALTHIER. This is really super discouraging to gain weight when I've been working so much harder! Help!

Replies

• the_running_fox
    the_running_fox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is tricky and unreliable. Weight can fluctuate huge amounts in a single day (on myself I've seen up to 8 pounds!), so being up a few pounds for a week probably isn't fat gain. I couldn't tell you what's causing it, I can only guess. TMI, but it could even be poop!

I'd say let your body adjust to your new routine for a little longer. As long as you know your calories are in check and you're measuring accurately, just trust the process and don't worry so much! Sometimes pounds are "sticky"—they just take a little patience. Good luck!
  • lizziexboredom
    lizziexboredom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's a good idea to also track your measurements, because although the scale may not move or even move the wrong way your measurements are improving. As to why you gained it could be anything. Muscle gain, water retention, like the poster above me said it could even be poo. If you're eating healthy and working out like you say, it's almost definitely not actual fat :) I know it's hard to see a change in the wrong direction, but you're on the right path. One wrong turn doesn't ruin the whole trip, just takes a little longer to get there!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hormones/time of month (including a few days before/after), constipation, water retention from exercise, digestion periods, battery on scale going dead, moved scale to a different location, using a different scale, sodium intake and the list goes on. Also, just because you've switched to 'healthier' foods, doesn't mean anything in the context of weight loss. Make sure you're accurately measuring your food (check the batteries on your food scale too, if it's a digital one), and that your diary is accurate/logging everything.
  • LeTmblwid
    LeTmblwid Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Happens to me most of the time as well. Maybe changing the time you take your weight can show a different result. Just stick with the calorie deficit and the workout. Be patient.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've gained a pound since Monday myself. I can't figure it out. I have been eating right and tracking every single thing I eat. Hormones maybe? At least in my case I think it is. :(
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Same here. Gained 3 last week with TOM and down only 2 of those. I guess it's just a pound and weight does fluctuate but it's hard when I've seen it only go down - albeit slowly - the last few weeks! Trying to up the water but then I'm in the ladies room ALL the time! Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am going to be very hard not to be too blunt here...but really?????

it's been almost a week...water retention can take up to 4 weeks to go away.

Scale weight is not the most reliable source of numbers..even the smallest change in your diet can cause this along with stressing over it...chill out....seriously...stress hormones cause water retention.

Weight loss is not linear...you won't lose the same amount of weight every week until it's all gone...it could be 3lbs one week then none for 3 weeks then woosh...4lbs...or 1lb...

4-6 weeks without weight loss is something to be concerned with not less than a week.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've been battling the same 2 lbs for several weeks now, I'll lose it one week and gain it the next. I know that it will eventually drop off but I totally understand the frustration. Just gotta keep at it and hope to see a whoosh in the next few weeks.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Probably eating too much...
  • smecham351
    smecham351 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll give it a couple more weeks for my body to adjust and see if that helps; if not I'll look at other suspects. @eldamiano I'm eating ~300 less calories a day than I was before and no change in exercise or sleep so I don't think that's it. But good suggestions with taking measurements, everyone! I need to focus more on how I feel and look rather than freaking out about what the scale says. It's just so hard to stay motivated with my stricter regimen when I see it going the opposite way! Yikes!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Results are not always seen immediately. Our bodies are complicated organisms. Something is always being processed and changing. I could swear I've lost a few pounds in the last 2 weeks based on his my body looks and clothes fit, but the scale is fluctuating up. I just log it then go work out or whatever is planned for the day. An app like Hadpy Scales is a good way to track the daily variations.

I agree with the importance of having multiple goals and ways to track. What if the scales didn't change an ounce but you dropped 2 jeans sizes, looked better, became stronger from working out and had more endurance? Would you be happy?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat this week. It is very frustrating but as I keep telling myself we just have to be patient. Looking back at my data over the last few months I have decided that I retain some water during ovulation, not really that much at TOM. I did take measurements and they are down plus I've got a few springy shirts that I couldn't wear last year that look pretty good (one is even a little big) so I feel like I'm on the right track. I think for me it is a little bit of water retention plus as I get closer to my goal the deficit gets smaller and the weight loss will be slower. I'm set at 1300 and I usually eat about 1500 after eating back part of my exercise calories and at this point I think I will stick with a .5 per week deficit rather than lowering my calorie goal. It just takes more patience which I sometimes have to work on.
  • the_running_fox
    the_running_fox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One more idea: sometimes we weigh ourselves when we happen to be dehydrated and see an artificially low weight. We think we've dropped fat and get confused when the scale then goes back up without a change in routine. 151 could be your normal, hydrated weight whereas 148 could have been you being a little dehydrated! Food for thought.