To squat or not?

Options
Hi all. I've been a sedentary person for a while so I'm not fit at all. For the past two months I e been taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator and get between seven and sixteen flights of stairs per day. Two days ago I decided to start a 30 day body weight squat challenge. It started out with thirty squats then had me do fifty yesterday. It's asking for me to do seventy-five squats today but my calves are really sore today. My question is should I push through this and do this challenge for 30 consecutive days or do I need to be doing something different? Please advise me on what to do because I'm clueless about what the best course of action is.

Thanks in advance,
Rebecca

Replies

• JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to have rest day on the squat challenge. If you are in alot of discomfort have a day off and carry on tomorrow. Squats are gotta for your thighs, bums and stomach. So keep going
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It hurts to walk the stairs because my calves are so tight and sore. I wasn't sure if resting from the squats would help. I'm still planning on doing the stairs to keep from sliding back into old elevator riding habits.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can do the squats today. Modify if you are sore. Break the 75 down into smaller groups so you can manage. I have never had my calves sore from squats. It almost sounds as though you are not putting your butt back far enough and leaving the front of your legs and calves doing the majority of the work. Squats are about the squats glutes and hamstring.

Instead of regular squats, try doing chair squats (you can google and find examples). This will teach you the proper form. Just touch the chair and stand back up. Squats are similar to sitting in a chair because the butt goes back and down, keeping the weight over the heels instead of on the front of the foot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I don't understand the point of a 30 day bodyweight squat challenge. I think that having an absolute beginner start doing 30, 50, 75 squats per day for a month is kind of dumb. I'd never recommend it. I think you'd be much better served by squatting a few times a week. Maybe a week at bodyweight squats and then start with goblet squats and work your weight up from there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To be very honest that's how I started....30 day squat challenage...

I did it exactly as laid out. I took rest when it said and push through when it wasn't a rest.

3 years later I can squat 210lbs...go for it...it will help with the soreness.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not severe pain. When I'm sore I push through and it usually gets better. Good job
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would rest if you're really sore, but definitely make sure you have good form. A trick I use is to make sure my weight is always in my heels by lifting up my toes a little bit, which forces better form. Best of luck!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe do some squats in front of a mirror or get a video...your calves shouldn't be that sore from squats.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch and/or roll you legs/calves? If not you should. And make sure you are drinking lots of water.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You can also break the 75 Squats into smaller groups spread it out through the day....
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you're not injured then squat. DOMS will slowly fade over time but the best cure is more exercise
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe do some squats in front of a mirror or get a video...your calves shouldn't be that sore from squats.

This. Squats shouldn't really engage your calves. You should be driving through your heels, not your toes.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've been a sedentary person for a while so I'm not fit at all. For the past two months I e been taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator and get between seven and sixteen flights of stairs per day. Two days ago I decided to start a 30 day body weight squat challenge. It started out with thirty squats then had me do fifty yesterday. It's asking for me to do seventy-five squats today but my calves are really sore today. My question is should I push through this and do this challenge for 30 consecutive days or do I need to be doing something different? Please advise me on what to do because I'm clueless about what the best course of action is.

Thanks in advance,
    Rebecca

No, you did to much. You can't go from sedentary to that much exercise all at once. Rest till your legs stop hurting and continue squats but do 20 for two days, go to 25 for two days then increase by 5 every two days
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'll admit that I don't understand the point of a 30 day bodyweight squat challenge. I think that having an absolute beginner start doing 30, 50, 75 squats per day for a month is kind of dumb. I'd never recommend it. I think you'd be much better served by squatting a few times a week. Maybe a week at bodyweight squats and then start with goblet squats and work your weight up from there.

Sometimes these types of challenges are enough to get someone up and doing something. The OP might not have weights at home or access to a gym right now.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You need to address why squats are hurting your calves. That's not normal. Pic or video would help here.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a squat challenge and did 155 today. My calves haven't been sore but my hamstrings, quads and glutes are. Make sure your knees don't go over your ankles and if you look sideways in the mirror it should look like you're about to sit. My challenge has the picture
    kwqt38hbtqxi.jpeg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I've been doing a squat challenge and did 155 today.

god... why.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    You need to address why squats are hurting your calves. That's not normal. Pic or video would help here.

It would be good to know if this is muscle soreness or some kind of other pain. If most of her weight is on her toes (not saying that's right), I'm sure the calf DOMS would be brutal.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's the stairs making your calves hurt. Squat shouldn't really impact them but any time I've done a lot of stairs, my calves are on fire.
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'll do a couple in front of a mirror to check but I think my form is pretty good. A couple years ago I had a personal trainer who showed me the correct form for it. I make sure my knees don't go over or past my toes and squeeze my flutes as I stand. Of course I could be doing something wrong and will discover it today as I look in a mirror.

I don't have access to a gym at this time for the same reason I could no longer go to a pt. $ I'll check back later and update you all.

Thank you for the help.